1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What's my dad's 1942 P08 German Luger worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fenderman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. fenderman

fenderman New Member

Hi, I am new on here and need some help with my dad's German Luger. He has had financial woes and we bought it from him to help him out and I am sure we paid more than it's worth. Now the shoe is on the other foot and I might need to sell it asap. He bought it in 1962 from a Oakland, California pawn shop. I have looked at a lot of them but don't see an exact match. I am curious about the three "eagle" symbols on part of the receiver, and there is another tiny one to the right of them on the barrel. Two of the eagle symbols have the number 135 stamped below it and the other has the Swastika underneath it. The tiny one to the right of them on the barrel also has the Swastika. I think you can see the small one in the photo but it's a bit blurry. As far as I know, the condition is all original including the bluing, and there is some holster wear at the end of the barrel. I do not know how to grade the bluing. Every part of the gun has matching serial numbers except the magazines, where it's PO8 with the wing stamp and fxo 37 on the one,and nothing on the other. The number "91" is stamped several places on it and 691 is stamped under the barrel and on the receiver. It also has the letter L stamped on the receiver under the 691. He is under the impression that it's a 1942 since 42 is stamped on top of the receiver near the barrel but I don't know if that is correct. He is also under the impression that this may be a police or officer's gun? The holster looks great too, but don't know if it's an original or not, however it's stamped GWW and 1942. The tool inside also has the eagle stamp with a three digit number that I can't read. Don't think it's a match though. Can anybody tell me how much this gun and holster is worth? I really don't want to sell it but might need to in the very near future. I appreciate any help you can give me!!! It would only let me add four jpegs using the file attachment manager.
    Here are 8 MORE photos, please click this link to view them: http://dadsgermanluger.shutterfly.com

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help u
  3. fenderman

fenderman New Member

Thanks Beth, I am glad to see that somebody's out there!
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

don't worry your question will be answered
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Fenderman,

I have no expertise in valuing the Luger but to my untrained eye I'd say you have a very nice piece.The experts will be along soon. Hope your situation improves so a sale is not required. Welcome to the forum.
  6. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

The gun and the holster look completely original.
    I would grade the blue around 90%, if the grip straps are in the same condition:
    Mid-retail pricing:
    Gun: $1100
    Holster: $250
    Tool: $75
    Extra mag: $100
  7. fenderman

fenderman New Member

Thank you for your posts! Is the year 1942 correct and is there any info about my dad's impression if it being a police or officer's gun? Who manufactured this gun? Also, can anybody recommend how to sell it in case I have to?
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The gun was manufactured by Mauser. During the second World War, only Mauser and Krieghoff were manufacturing Lugers in Germany. These late Mauser Lugers lack some of the fine finish of the earlier DWM and Erfurt pieces, but they used the best steel.

1942 should be the correct year. I think 1943 was the last year for Luger production, although some were probably assembled from spare parts later. The German Army had adopted the Walther P.38 way back in 1938 to replace the Luger, but it took a while to ramp up production.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The byf on the toggle indicate that it was made by Mauser. The eagle stampings on the frame and barrel are Military proof marks. I have never really understood what the numbers (135 on yours) mean. I would venture to say that valbahaved is pretty close in his valuation of the gun. I am not sure on the value of holster, tool, and extra magazine. I do know that if the magazines were serial numbered to the gun, the value would jump.

There are a few fxo 37 Luger magazines on eBay that some one is asking $295 for.
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I notice the left grip is chipped in the usual place, which does devalue the gun somewhat to around $1300 . Otherwise the value would have been more like $1500. The tool these days is worth $125. I agree with the other values.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The small eagles with numbers are the military inspection markings; the eagle with the swastika is the German Army proof and acceptance stamp. "byf" is the maker's code for Mauser under the German system which assigned codes to arms manufacturers for security reasons.

The number 135 was that assigned to an officer of the Waffenamt (weapons office) who was the inspection team leader at Mauser through most of the war. Waffenamt was abbreviated "WaA" and the marking and number are often called the "WaA stamp."

Except for the chipped grip, that gun appears to be in excellent condition and the values given are just about right. The holster is military, not police. Both magazines are replacements.

Jim
  12. fenderman

fenderman New Member

I am so appreciative of all your help! One of the things I still wonder about is the L stamp and whether or not it was issued to the police or other. I am impressed with all the information you have all given me about this gun but still wonder how to sell it, whether online or craigslist, or what. Also, I am pretty sure my dad bought the holster separately from the gun. Thank you for pointing out the chip, I really didn't notice it.
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

For police issue it would have a specific marking ,since it only has military markings I would say it was never a police issue. It may have belonged to a German officer or even a German NCO. For officers a sidearm was a badge of rank more than a offensive or even a defencive weapon.
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the "L" is in script, it is part of the serial number. German military serials used a letter suffix. They went from 1 to 9999, then 1a to 9999a, 1b to 9999b, and so on for each year for each maker. So I think you just have number 681l (that is an "L" but the German letters were in lower case). For 1942, there would have been a 681, 681a, 681b, etc.

Jim
  15. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    I have the same Luger as you with the holster,take down tool & both fxo mags. Would not take less than 2500 for mine. That is the ball park figure you should get. 2300 would be tops with the wrong mags. Check on the internet for gun auctions & you will see what I mean.
    Take Care
    Danny