What's my WINCHESTER MODEL 75 WORTH?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Luftwafel2, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

I was given this about 10 years ago and was told it would be worth something eventually. It's a Winchester Model 75. In comparison to the ones on --- ------ i would say it's in pretty damn good shape. It has the original sling and 8x power scope. I've only shot it a handful of times and it shoots unbelievably. Anyways, I'm looking to sell it because i have no use for it, if it was a .270 pre-64 featherweight that i could kill some game worth a picture i would be hanging on to it. I have limited time and hunting squirrels isn't my gig. Any input from the gurus i would appreciate!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

That's a nice rifle and it seems to be in fine condition, though it is hard to tell from the photos. Normally it would be worth about $450, but it appears that it has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and this would decrease the value. Also, the factory sights have been removed, thus devaluing the rifle even further. So I would guess the value of the rifle is about $275 in its present configuration. On the other hand, if that antique scope is in good working order, it is worth at least $100, so I would place a value on this rig at around $400.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

wonderwhippet,

Usually I agree with you. But this is Winchester 8X (quite powerful in it's day) target scope, and the 75 was so furnished with them from the Winchester factory. It is listed in the Standard Catalog Of Firearms, but in the pricing they do not list a price for this version. I would be very carefull as to the value, and further reasearch needs to be done to find out if one has sold in recent times at auction...Check the online sites for "factory scoped Winchester 75 target"

They are quite rare to come across I know that. The scope is not anything like todays, but if the glass is clear they are quite usable...

I'll look around as well...

Best regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. Sarge756

Sarge756 New Member

Will have to respectfully disagree with the senior member.Newbee to the forum but not to Winchester 75`s. Seems in the last 4 or 5 years the 75`s have had a resurgence in popularity.In the case of your rifle you have a desirable combination.The scope mounted on it is an 8x Winchester scope made from 1939-45.There should be no other markings besides 8X with Winchester stamped on the mounts. This was one of the last scopes made by Winchester and reintroduced specifically for the Model 75. Your gun was drilled and tapped at the factory for the block bases the scope is mounted to so there is no loss of value cause "Bubba " didn`t do it. The scope alone is in the 250-350 range and the rifle would be in that area or higher.The original target sling also adds value. Your photos make it a bit hard to judge condition so bear that in mind . As to the original sights if you keep on the lookout on Fleabay and the gun auction sites you may find a set.The front sight comes up from time to time and is nicknamed the postal sight because of it`s high figure and a shape like an old mail box. Last one I bought couple years back was $35.00 I`m not in the market at the moment as I have a 75 and two 52`s and also have two of the 8x scopes.By the way that scope is brass and has a japaned finish.They do dent fairly easily so handle with care.Unless you are hurting for the cash you should consider holding on to it.Like real estate they ain`t making no more of them. Joe
  5. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

Gentleman,

Thanks for responding to my post. All input is greatly appreciated. In response: I have seen these things go on BrandX among other sites from anywhere in the ballpark of $500-$2000. I was considering taking it to the local boys and selling it, but now there's no chance in hell of that. This thing seems to be in pretty good condition with regards to how old it is, the stock isn't scratched up to bad at all, and the bluing ain't bad either.

The scope has a thick set of crosshairs. It's not quite a Swarovski Z6, but i wouldn't shy away from using it for small game at all, in fact i used it a couple years ago and was amazed at how accurate it was. So all in all the scope is usable and i've seen worse on a few of my buddies deer rifles.

SO, i'd like to still sell it, i'm not hurting for cash, but i really just want to get a baseline of EXACTLY what it's worth. I don't want someone stealing from me. There's a lot of other toys i need to get, i have always wanted an old model 70 featherweight, and i'll probably put this towards that. Anyways i threw up some new pictures ..numerous...check em out.....thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

For a 75 Target, The Standard catalog of firearms lists exc.condition $900, Vg at $700 good at $600, fair at $500 and poor condition at $200.....

But the economy is what it is as well. There is currently a 75 Sporter with an older version of this scope on GB right now. The auction ends after lunch tommarrow. It is a supposed "Special order"with 3X wood and the scope. will be interesting to see what it brings. The book says a pristine 75 Sporter is now a $2K proposition, standard production.

Hope this helps,

Kirk
  7. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

Chamber

Attached Files:

8. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

Stock

Attached Files:

9. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

Stock again

Attached Files:

10. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

stock

Attached Files:

11. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

again

Attached Files:

12. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

last one

Attached Files:

13. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

It's looking alot more like a $1K + change rifle all the time....

Regards, Kirk
  14. Luftwafel2

Luftwafel2 New Member

Someone has the same Model 75 i have on BrandX for $750 buy it now and frankly mine looks to be in better shape.

Now for my next question....Do you guys think it would be worth it to send it off to a Gunsmith and have the bluing touched up and make it as near perfect as possible?

How about refinishing the stock? Sand out the small nicks or just leave as is?
  15. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

DO NOT TOUCH UP THIS RIFLE

It will harm the value you have. It is in good enough shape as is. Give some one even the idea that it has been reblued/refinished and the value is half of what an untouched example is worth. The stock finish is a dead give away, unless done by a pro. Same for bluing. It could be done, but would cost as much as your rifle is worth, and it would not be original. Best just leave it alone. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk