What's my WWII Walther PP worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by The Judge759, Aug 9, 2010.

1. The Judge759

The Judge759 New Member

I recently purchased this gun from a pawn shop. I do not know much about PP's, but I find their historical significance to be extremely interesting. The gun's serial number dates it to 1940. It has the eagle over N on the slide and on the chamber. The blue is worn off on the corners and edges. The rifling still appears to be good. The magazine has the Walther logo on it but no serial number. The holster is most likely a repro due its good condition, (no mold or dried out cracking) but I could be wrong. The gun is chambered in 7.65, and I do not see any military acceptance proof marks. The serial number only appears in one place parallel to the grip. All else aside everything works mechanically. Thank you all for your help, and I hope to post more neat guns as I find them.

Attached Files:

2. SSMN

SSMN Member

Good description and adequate photos. There are several PPs on up for bid on an online auction site which are comparable or slightly better finish wise right now with "buy it now" prices of from $625 to $750 which I think is fair. Yours being of slightly less finish would fairly sell for $600+- in my opinion. The holster is not of a type which PPs of this era are generally found, although all sorts of holsters were utilized during the war years.
    Overall a nice gun. Hope you got it at a fair price.
    David
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. Danny

Danny Member

The magazine should have the Walther banner & 7.65mm under that to make it correct. I also believe the holster is a repo. Hope this helps some?
    Regards
    Danny:)
  4. SSMN

SSMN Member

Danny,
    In 1940 both banner only and banner/cal. were being supplied with guns. So with all due respect, either type would be appropriate.
    Also I know that it is a small detail but a "7.65mm" would be postwar. A wartime would be 7.65 m/m
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. Danny

Danny Member

Your opinion David, but over the course of my collecting & reading material, the 7.65 m/m was used when the eagle/n was applied at the year 1940. By the way, do you have a Walther collection? Try selling that pistol to any collector & u will get the same response.
  6. SSMN

SSMN Member

Danny,
    It is not just my opinion, it is a fact. Magazines like other parts were produced in quantity and kept on hand in bins to be used as required. By 1940, that bin contained magazines marked both with banner only and with banner over caliber markings. Workmen paid no attention to which was pulled and matched to a gun.

I will be happy to provide proof for you of that fact. PPK #266007K was produced in 1940...I assume you will agree with that. If not, I can give you documentation of production dates.

This particular gun was part of SS/RSHA contract production. This has also been confirmed by experts. You see, serial numbers were not placed on both frame and slide until approx. serial number 335XXXK as standard practice except for SS contract guns. They also had as a further proof of their pedigree, factory applied serial numbers on both accompanying magazines. These numbers are very carefully applied to match the gun without denting, uneven depth or crooked digits. Very professionally done by the factory.

All of this has been confirmed by experts and is explained in the book "SS Walther PP/PPK Identification & Documents" by Steven J. Stepan. This book has forewords by both Dieter H. Marschall and John P. Pearson.

I will post photos here of both magazines issued with that gun and confirmed as issued by their having factory applied serial numbers. One has banner only markings and the second has both banner and caliber markings. Both issued in 1940!

And yes, I have a collection of PP/PPKs.

Attached Files:

7. Danny

Danny Member

David,
    There is no real documentation of Walther dates. As the Russians were closing in, the factories were commanded to destroy all records of production. Everything & every one giving dates, is pure speculation. Sure, they are close, but to give an actual production date is impossible. Ask Dieter , Jan Stills or anyone that has wrote a book, and they will verify this as fact, CC.
    Danny
  8. SSMN

SSMN Member

Danny,
    You are absolutely correct. Factory documents proving exact production dates do not exist. However, the charts indicating believed serial number ranges of PP/PPKs based on the very large database of Dieter Marschall and accepted by him as being as accurate as can be hoped for do exist. I would like your expert opinion if I may, when would you say PPK #266007K was manufactured?
    David
  9. Danny

Danny Member

1942 is the suggested date of the PP in question. This is from Dieter's data base. However I do conclude there were several mags, as you stated, that got through the assembly line with only the banner. The whole purpose of the 7.65m/m was to keep a soldier from trying to put 9mm kurz in a 32cal mag, which I am sure you already had no doubt.
    Danny
    PS: Do U not love it when playing fuz ball on a subject? Heck, I bet you served in the Navy?:)
  10. SSMN

SSMN Member

Army sniper.

Here's the chart. Looks to me like the PPK in question #266007K falls into 1940.
    I have no reason to believe that the banner only issued with this gun was the only one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  11. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

David:
    Thank you for posting the pictures of the PPK and the seial ranges table.
    I enjoyed seeing both, as I actually own that particular PPK :) and do agree with you on all points..
    Kind regards.
    Val
  12. SSMN

SSMN Member

Hi Val,
    Thank you for not taking offense at posting pics of your mags. That is a very important gun to me. It breaks new ground magazine wise and of course I have always admired the rest of the rig.
    David
  13. schooner.207

schooner.207 New Member

very nice walther pp , sometimes mags got mistamped and issued anyway , have seen 9mm cal stamped over 7.65 or visa-versa . the war was looming and production was imperative. check button on holster for shape and size and interior stitching
  14. Danny

Danny Member

David I agree on the PPK mags, but this thread is about a PP & not PPK. I had a 1940 police PPK, same as new, with one one 7.65 mag and a banner one. I was referring to the PP in this thread, production date of 1942.
    Danny
  15. SSMN

SSMN Member

You're right. I have no evidence that banner only mags were still being issued in 1942.