Whats Next in Canada

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Terry_P, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Replica guns should be licensed and registered just like the real thing, say safety advocates and police. In recent years, police officers across the country have shot and killed several people holding guns that later turned out to be replicas.

The Canada Safety Council has approached police to push for gun replicas to be regulated under the federal Firearms Act, said council president Emile Thérien. That would require them to be licensed and registered.

The Ottawa Police Services Board supports that proposal and is asking its provincial and federal counterparts to lobby for the changes.

Acting Staff Sgt. Mark Patterson of the Ottawa police guns and gangs unit said it's often difficult for police officers to tell a real gun from a replica during threatening situations like armed robberies.

"You don't have that luxury, for lack of better term, to see what firearm is being used being by the suspect," he said.

Replica guns and fatalities
    In the past four years, police officers have shot and killed a number of people holding guns that later proved to be replicas. Among the incidents were the following:

•Jan. 16, 2010, Edmonton: Bernadette Auger, 48, was fatally shot by police at an Edmonton apartment while holding an air-gun replica of a Sig Sauer handgun and failing to respond to police commands.
    •March 6, 2009, Ottawa: Bank robbery suspect Paul Jeffrey, 27, was shot and killed by police after pointing a replica pistol at police and threatening to shoot.
    •Oct. 13, 2006, Burnaby, B.C.: Daniel Antony King, 37, was shot to death by police after getting out of a car holding a replica gun following a car chase.
    Just a month ago, Edmonton police shot to death a woman brandishing a replica handgun.

Last March, Ottawa police shot to death a bank robbery suspect who pointed a gun at officers and threatened to shoot. The man's gun later proved to be a replica, but Ontario's Special Investigation Unit cleared Ottawa police of wrongdoing, saying the man's behaviour would cause a "reasonable" person to think the gun was real.

Patterson said replica pellet guns are also a risk because their pellets can travel fast enough to cause serious injury, especially to people's eyes.

Replica guns are extremely common in Ottawa and about 40 per cent of handguns seized by police last year were replicas, Patterson said.

Thérien said replica pellet guns are advertised by many mass merchandisers in their catalogues around Christmas. "So they're easy to buy."

In Ontario, the only restriction he knows of is that you must be 18 to purchase one.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/02/23/ottawa-fake-guns-firearms-act.html#ixzz0gQ7flvp4
  2. petesusn

petesusn New Member

What's next? Slingshots, snowballs, rocks, spitballs, ect. Almost everything you can pick up and throw or swing can cause injury. Watch out for that sheet of paper. Paper cuts can really sting.
    When replicas are outlawed, only outlaws will have replicas.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

The writings on the wall in Canada. No guns.
  4. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Seems to me that if someone is using a replica for a robbery they probably wouldn't register their fake gun anyway so why punish people who just want a wall-hanger?
  5. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

Who cares if police shoot these guys threatening them with replica guns? They are obviously not kids just playing around, but people trying to cause real harm. I have no sympathy at all, except for the police who killed someone holding a replica. They had no way of knowing though.

I suppose one of the benefits of this would be that John Dillenger wouldn't have been able to escape as he would have had to register his soap gun. Surely the wouldn't have let him do that while in prison.
  6. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    You speak common sense..... unacceptable to liberals....:rolleyes:
  7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Can't wait for them to start registering rocks. There are millions of assault rocks on my land. I think I am in deep dookie.
  8. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

It's funny that this is the first I've heard of this.Most air guns up here can no longer be sold to anyone under 18 and certain one require a permit depending on FPS.:)