The Firearms Forum banner

what's next, suggestions?

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  flboots 
#1 · (Edited)
my next gun will be a revolver. I have narrowed it down to either a .357 or a .44
It will serve as both a winter time PD/CC and a hunting back-up. I need barrel length suggestions.

My brands of choice are Ruger and S&W but others are welcome if price, feel, and quality are in line.

that should be a broad enough spectrum. What say the experts? I think I know what HB will suggest and that is weighing heavily on my preference.

oh, forgot to add something. non-panic environment reload component price and availability are important for caliber choice

#2 ·
Years ago I too was looking for a revolver. So I went to the local gun store and had the salesman lay the two potential guns on the counter side by side. I thought I really wanted the Ruger but once I compared them that way the S&W convinced me that finesse of design beats utilitarian every time. The biggest difference was the trigger pull....S&W was MUCH better right out of the box. The fit and finish was better too. I have never bought that Ruger that caught my eye but later bought several more S&W's. Now, if you do this test you may pick something other than the S&W and that's fine. My point is a direct comparison sometimes breaks through the fog of choice.

When it comes to barrel lengths there are trade offs. Longer barrel's offer a longer sight radius with more precision in sighting but shorter barrel are better balanced and feel better in my hands. I bought a couple revolvers with 6 inch barrels and later converted them to 4 inch. There is no difference in the accuracy of the barrels but only the better sighting precision with the longer barrels. Today I would only buy 4 inch revolvers for my needs. But if I was a handgun hunter I'd go for the longer barrels. For protection during rifle hunting a 4 inch barrel makes the gun much easier to use close and fast for protection.

LDBennett

#5 ·
My choice for hunting would be the .44. I reload for it, and I don't have a problem finding components, except for my choice of powder, same for the .357. CC is a whole nuther story! In this application I have to go with the .357.

#6 ·
I would not go SP101. For a close up conceal carry that is a good revolver and I carry one in the summer. The .44 would be a great gun except the magnum would not work well for defense (too much energy) and you could carry .44 spl for self defense but then you are trying to conceal a large framed handgun. It just won't work.

That narrows it down to the .357 in either S&W or Ruger. Barrel length is your choice. The .357 is a much more defined revolver and will run rings around the Ruger in terms of sheer firing speed and competitive use. Out of the box the Smith is usually ready to go as far as the smooth actions go. On the other hand, a Ruger GP100 with a Wolff spring kit and action job is a top notch Ruger with brute strength. It will take the punishment of the full house loads. The Smith is a sturdy gun but not quite the brute.

My action on my wife's S&W locks up on the hotter magnum loads. The action locks and the cylinder won't open. This is not the first S&W that has happened to for me and I just had another trip to the gunsmith and he once again told me, "Jim, what did I tell you? Don't run the hot stuff in here".

For self defense the S&W really is a great gun. But when you mention packing it while hunting, I say get a Ruger, get an action job and spring kit, and load it heavy. Barrel choice is up to you but I like my 3" GP100 and with a little practice you can reach out there a bit. Hunting and CCW. That's a big task unless you just want to open carry. I also have a 4" GP100 that I can conceal pretty well. Like I say, barrel length is up to you but preference for hunting, and as reloaders we understand we lose velocity with each inch of barrel we lose and that reduces our energy, so using it for both I believe there will be a sacrifice on the hunting side and CCW.

Maybe get a revolver in .44 for hunting and then a 1911 for conceal carry down the road.

That is what I am thinking.

I have never had a Ruger lock up from full house loads.

#10 ·
S&W and Ruger are both good guns. The S&W are better finished guns for sure. The Rugers are much stronger. The 44 would be much better for hunting but not so hot for personal defence. I think highboy has it right. To meet all your needs I would vote GP-100 in 357 mag.

#12 ·
Research some previous threads here. There are some that mention that some S&W .357 Mag revolvers can or will eventually shoot loose. Especially when using lighter weight bullet loads. I don't recall seeing mention of that with Ruger revolvers.

#15 ·
"It will serve as both a winter time PD/CC and a hunting back-up. "---1968halfton

This is the criteria. ^^^^^^^^
It makes it simple.
Ruger GP-100 4" .357magnum

The only alternative I see......is several. :)
Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan in .44magnum [or better .454 Casull/.45colt]
I carried the .44mag [Alaskan] in big bear country as a backup until they came out with the .454, then carried it. It's not bad at all on the hip....with the right belt. I carry them in a JR Roscoe shoulder holster......all day long.
Then S&W comes along.......460XVR Performance Center.....absolutely NOTHING in the woods equal to it. BADASS ! Recoil MUCH less than a .500....also carry it in a Roscoe sometimes.....but usually in a handle bar holster on the ATV.
The only other I can think of would be the new Ruger SP-101 with a 4" barrel, fiber optics, etc......but ONLY with Trausch grips on it.
A .357 is enough for recoil....a small [gun].44mag is much more.
I personally don't have any recoil hesitations....and I like some big bore in my handguns...not from a macho point, but from an energy point....but it all depends where I am geographically....what I think I need for my surroundings.
Handloading for .357 or .44mag or .45colt or .454 or .460.......is all relevant. Once you are set up for it......not really any difference. Bigger you get...more the lead costs....more powder/charge.....more$$$$/less rounds /lb
From your OP I think it is a no-brainer, unless your criteria changes.
I do have 1 question......why not a .45colt ? [sweetest big bore ever !!!!]

#16 ·
I have both. That being said, if I were faced with today's choice of new guns I'd go with the Ruger hands down. Why? I've heard bad things about S&W's CS and I don't believe they are the quality guns they used to be. Ruger has been consistent and with their new cam trigger, as smooth or smoother than S&W.

#17 ·
The thing for me Todd is you know you will end up with a CCW revolver and a hunting revolver. So, I say get the CCW first, and then begin looking at hunting options.
You know me too well
It's primary use will be cc. The hunting use is more as a personal defense. We get mountain lions and I am scared to death of them

#19 ·
I have a SW 586 4" in .357 . I love it. When my buddies come over to shoot, that gun is always one of the most popular. Wife loves it as well. She's recoil sensitive so she shoots .38s out of it and says it "almost feels like a .22", so she shoots more. I like the classic style of it too (blued with walnut). Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.