1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What's that article?! European crime rate

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Prizefighter, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I seem to remember an article at one time talking about a european country where many homes had assault rifles (because of military service) and the violent crime rate was rather low. Sweden, perhaps?

I'm currently in a "discussion" with some folks about gun rights and crime, and they just pulled the "US has a higher crime rate than other countries, we must be doing it wrong" card.

Does someone happen to know the article I'm talking about?
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

View the links in my signature. If you want a condensed version, read the justfacts.com link. If you want to look up specific issues and hard statistics, read the Gunfacts 5.0 downloadable book.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Het Pony, I did check them out, they're great.
    Good references for all.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

6. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

They really are playing with the numbers. According to them, only 5.5% of murders in the US are NOT gun related. The game is that they differentiate between murder and manslaughter, and DO NOT list the US manslaughter statistics. :mad::mad:
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Glenn Beck has a new book out called "Arguing with Idiots" that covers this issue as well as others. Just FYI... ;)
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I hate beating a dead horse but.....

'assault' is NOT an adjective!:mad:

This infuriates me to no end!

Do we have assault cars?
    Assault hammers?
    Assault buckets?
    Assault swimming pools?
    Assault weather?
    Assault shoes?
    Assault cookware?
    Assault water?
    Assault pictures?
    Assault windows?
    Assault tires?
    Assault what ever you want to throw in there.....?

Yet we have assault rifles?:confused::rolleyes:

PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S SACRED, STOP USING THE TERM!

DAYUM!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

"Assault Rifle" is a specific term used by the military to indicate a specific type of weapon.

"Assault Weapon" is a specific term used by politicians and reporters to frighten ignorant people.

Granted "assault" is not an adjective. Niether is "railroad" an adjective. However, I will not use a "railroad crossing" without looking both ways.

Pops
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks Pops.
    In either case the word is used incorrectly.
    Crossing of the railroad or weapon of assault would be proper.
    Used correctly, virtualy anything could be construed as a weapon of assault.
    It just irks me that those of us that deplore the usage of the term continue to use it. But then, I've never been known to be politically correct.:rolleyes:

My apologies.:eek:
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Never apologise for having an opinion. Nor, for voicing an opinion. If you hold to or form an opinion without fact to back it up, or continue to hold an opinion which has been proven false or harmful, THEN you should apologise. :p :D

I deplore the use of "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" interchangeably. Assault Rifle is a proper term for a particular item. Assault weapoon is an incorrect term and incorrect usage of the language. On that we agree.

Common usage often gets terms into use and thus into the dictionary and acceptance, when strict adherance to rules would forbid such terms. When I was a lad of about 8 years, and Dad owned, printed, edited and wrote much of the newspaper, he and I got into a discussion about the usage of a comma after the word "and." I won and changed his usage in the paper slightly by bringing out the argument that puncutation has two purposes. Punctuation is used to make a sentence or phrase more easily understood. Punctuation is also used to demonstrate to the reader how the sentence or phrase would be spoken. Any other use is uneccessary and can be confusing. :D

Pops
  12. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Some of this filth that is being spewd out makes me want to use an assault tire on someone.:mad: