whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. redbelly52

redbelly52 New Member

I'd like to get the opinions from as many as are willing to reply.

What is the best all around 22 automatic? I'd like to buy one to take care of some Coyotes that are killing dogs in my area, and want to get the best one for the money.

I'd like to buy one some place like a local jockey lot or yard sale. I've had two in the past, one was a Remington, and the other was a Marlin, and I bought both of them used. Both jammed after several shots. Tryed cleaning, nothing helped. :(

Thanks,

Bob
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

For reliability you cannot beat a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60. Both have excellent reputations. The Marlin is a larger gun and holds a few more shots.
  3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

First of all i'm sure you mean semi-automatic. I know it seems like a little thing but words are important.

the ruger 10/22 is probably the best although remington does put out some decent models as well. My brother has 2 remington's one in 22 and the other in 22 mag. 22 mag may be the way to go for coyotes.
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

also don't forget to try different ammo.
    federal have a plated bullet
    winchester wildcats are soft hollow points
    and remingtion are pretty soft as well.

my 10/22 chambers anything with factory mags. but only chambers federal with bigger mags. so i have to shoot federals out of those.
  5. Texman

Texman New Member

find you a good used Remington model 66 nylon... Durn good gun.. Get either in blued or ugly chrome,, but you won't be sorry. ;)
  6. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Sheesh...what a question!!! Not a fan of the Ruger 10/22. Had two and got rid of them both after a short period of time. I have a Remington 597, Nylon 66, and a 550. Well, those are the semi-autos. All of them are good shooters, and accurate. But I have to agree with the recommendation to step up to a 22 Mag especially for coyotes. For that I would go with a Marlin bolt action. But that's just me.

John
  7. Texman

Texman New Member

Sorry you don't like the model 66 Remington, but oh well.. I did Google of it and found this info on them.

Nylon 66
    Description: Auto loading Rifle
    Introduction Year: 1959
    Year Discontinued: 1989
    Total Production: Approximately: 1,050,350
  8. usaimages

usaimages New Member

-
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  9. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

I would have to agree also with stepping up to a .22 mag. i personally have a marlin bolt .22 mag and with the ballistic tips. IMO there accuracy is untouchable. they are not much more expensive either. I read somewhere to drop a coyote with a .22 the max distance is 50yds. with a mag you shouldn't have any problem dropping a coyote with a head shot at 200yds if you can shoot. but 22 ammo is alot cheaper.
  10. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I love my ruger 10/22 I also have a marlin tube fed 22 that has never failed me...probably 20,000 rounds through it
  11. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

The 22 Rimfire is not a round for shooting coyotes.

Don
  12. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I love the Ruger 10/22, especially with aftermarket barrel and stock.They look great and shoot 1/4'' groups at 50 yards with ammo that the rifle likes, and it isn't necessarily the expensive stuff either. That's half the fun-buying bricks of .22's and doing all that shooting to see what it "likes".And if you have more $$ to blow on a .22, you can get get into modifying the action for a better trigger pull, extended mag release, extended bolt handle, etc. (I guess I like projects)
  13. 5_Shooter

5_Shooter New Member

If you are gonna shoot coyotes....al least get the .22 magnum.
  14. berto64

berto64 Active Member

My 3 Remington mod 12CSs work good on coyotes. The Remington Special cartridge is the same as 22WRF and they hit hard.

They were the hot 22 rd. before 22 magnum was introduced. Quite a bit larger than 22 lr in length and charge.

Again, shot placement is the key to a good kill.

Up here we call that pastime "dog hunting".
  15. grampi

grampi New Member

I've done a boat load of research to find the best semi-auto 22. After asking many, many people in literally a dozen or more forums, they were first able to help me narrow my search down to the the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10/22, and I eventually chose the Marlin. The overwelming consensus is that the Marlin is the better gun right out of the box, but the 10/22 can be made the better gun if you're willing to spend some money modding it. I decided on the Marlin because at this time, I'd rather have the better gun out of the box. Later on if I decide I want a gun to tinker with and modify, I'll probably then get a 10/22. It doesn't sound like a person could go wrong choosing either one.