whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

The CZ-512 is made in .22 mag.
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

AS far as bolt guns go, my Savage Mk II BTV will shoot better than my CZ 453. Not by a lot but it was much cheaper. Both are great rifles and I will be holding onto each for many years to come. And before I hear about how CZ's are built better I'll point out that my CZ has had all sorts of problems since I bought it ranging from a bolt that sticks completely and rust on the barrel among other things. I've pretty much eliminated those problems though by switching to another oil for protecting the finish and using a little gun grease on the bolt at the right spot. I've also had problems with the two stage trigger not firing when I pull the set trigger. They aren't perfect rifles and I do believe a person can match their quality with other rifles at about the same price or even less. It all depends on what piece you want to be quality.
  3. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

So what kind of groups are you talking at 50 yards and how consistently can you do it?

Any suggestion that the Savage fit, finish and build quality is on a par with a CZ is demonstrably wrong. A fair comparison of them will show that to be a fact. I have a Savage BTVXP thumbhole laminated stock rifle in excellent condition that I'll sell for $300. The closest model Savage sells today is retail priced at, or over, $400.

I won't debate that Savage rifles will shoot. Some will. But, the average Savage won't shoot better than the average CZ. Your conclusion that your Savage will outshoot the CZ-453 may, or may not, be correct. I have no way of knowing how much effort you've put into finding the best cartridge for each. I don't know your skill level or any other facts that might influence the outcome.

But, it's your money so you buy whatever suits you. In 10, 15 or 20 years, see which of your two rifles will bring the better return on your cost.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

A Ruger 10/22 is always a great choice in .22
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Not if you want decent accuracy right out of the box. As a platform for a custom it can't be beat but you have to spend some bucks to make it shoot as well as a Marlin model 60 does right out of the box.
  6. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

I have to agree with Hawg as my experiences would dictate. I have two 10/22 rifles that will shoot sub-1/2 inch groups at 50 yards but the only original parts are the receiver, bolt and trigger group. Both were done for less than $300 each but that was some years back. Out of the box they were both more scatter guns than rifles. I had a similar experience with a Ruger Model 77 so I don't even pause to look at Ruger rifles when I'm in a gun store.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...A Ruger 10/22 is always a great choice in .22...

Ive owned both, the 10/22 some years ago and a long time back, the Marlin 60.
    And now own a new 60 and could'nt agree with you more Hawg!
    A big +1!
  8. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

We don't know the environment or what range he will be shooting at. Maybe he has a nice setup where the coyotes walk through his backyard giving him easy and effective shot placement. With good shot placement you can drop some decent game with a .22 without issues. You do have to hit where you aim though. I like my Rugers, nuff said.
  9. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Marlin 795 ss with a 3-9 x 40 scope
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:
    I had an 882 SS mag....'twas nice!
  11. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Yesterday I did not know that. Today I do. I love progress!

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup:
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

For a 'yote, and a clean kill, .22lr is enough...if you are a good shot and its within 75 yards.

For a more definitive hit, a 50-grain Federal Game-Shok out of a .22WMR chambered rifle will drop 'em as far as 150-200 yards.

My Marlin 25MN (grandfather of the XT22-M series) is an easy 1/4" shooter at 25 yards...slightly more at 50 yards...and all in a quarter at 100...
    which I only paid $85 for at a pawn shop...
    I have, of course, tweaked the trigger, polished the bolt, bedded the action, and use a bipod & sling on a table inside the barn's loft window :D
    The scope is a 4-16x44 Center Point set for 125 yards...so I've got less than $300 in the whole setup,
    and it knocks the socks off most everything I've ever run across for precision.

For even more pop, move up to 7mm-08 or .270 and take 'em at longer distances...
    A Marlin XS7 is perfect for that, as they are inexpensive (start at $300), and chock-full of sub-MOA goodness right from the factory!
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

i have a ruger 10/22 nice gun but not a thompson center r55 clasic this gun outshoots my 10/22 every time when i`m going to the range I bring my thompson , when I go with someone who doesn`t have a gun I bring the 10/22 for him or her whoever it may be , not sayingTHE RUGER ISN`T A GOOD GUN JUST THE THOMPSON HAS A SPECIAL FEEL TO ME I like it , I guess whatever gun you get you gotta like it it really makes a difference even if its all in your head it will help , also best grouping loads for me are cci standard velosity 5 rounds at 50 yrds all touching every time except for flyers loupold lps 2.5 x 10
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. swiftman

swiftman Member

TC R55 They shoot out of the box. No need to replace everything but the receiver, like a 10/22.
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Heck, even a Beretta NEOS Carbine Kit shoots better than a bone-stock 1022...they really ain't hard to beat as far as precision goes.