whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Every T/C I've shot has been a real shooter. They have been very accurate for years and years. And I've compared brand new Marlins against brand new Rugers many times and the Marlins always come out on top. But I've seen Ruger's start shooting really well after just a few modifications. They end up costing a lot more than a Marlin though. They should shoot better.

What we need to watch for is that Marlin has really updated their triggers for their bolt action .22's. When they add those triggers to the semi-autos it's going to mean big trouble for Ruger. There will be a really big difference between the two IMO.
  2. sargedog

sargedog New Member

I have been looking at the Smith and Wesson M+P 15 .22 LR, I finally went and purchased it today. I can't wait to get it to the range, I am going to use the iron sights before I put a scope on it. One thing I liked is it has a 25 round mag.

Attached Files:

3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new S&W sargedog and welcome to the Forums!
    A range report is a must!:)
    I "had" Rugers version of one and it shoot surprisingly well.
  4. toppkatt

toppkatt New Member

Best automatic I've ever owned was an American 180 with a 177 round drum magazine. For some reason it never wanted to feed that last round?
  5. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

The Ruger 10/22 is so flexible it beats everything else. just don't buy a Savage model 64-- I am so disappointed so I wet out and bought the ruger.
  6. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Yeah, with the TC you just might have to replace the whole receiver.......
  7. kenn97

kenn97 New Member

I have alot of 22's and my favorite is the winchester model 490
    Although they don't make it anymore and it was a little more pricy.
    That being said i also love my 5 ruger 1022's and my nylon 66
    I also have a marlin model 60
    And i have a couple of puma pps 22's with 50 round drums for playing with.

The rimfire 22's are alot of fun to shoot,it's good practice and inexpensive.

just my thoughts
    THANKS KEN
  8. Conman

Conman Member

Original question was asked in February of 2008.

I'm willing to place a very large wager that the OP has already bought a gun for his purpose!!

Let old postings die a peaceful death...........

If you feel your input is an absolute must start a new thread with your opinion.:eek::eek:
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Lakeside Machine LM7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWhLTPnQVc
  10. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Yes the thread is a zombie thread. But I just noticed someone said I didn't know whether my Savage shoots better than my CZ. I think that's about the biggest insult I've ever seen on a gun board and that's saying a lot. Yeah I shoot them a lot but I don't know which is more accurate. But you do. Gotcha. LOL this stuff is hilarious.

I also don't know that my CZ really hasn't had more problems than my Savage. Gee I must really be dumb. :D When the fanboys start to post there's no reasoning with them. Don't mistake my post for an attempt to do that. I'm just laughing about it. Since he asked I will point out what size groups I can shoot with my rimfires. Both my CZ and my Savage will consistently shoot between .25" and .5" groups at 50 yards. The Savage is slightly more accurate. I've shot groups right at .1" at 50 yards with both rifles.

This thread wasn't even about bolt action rifles BTW. But it's a zombie so I guess it doesn't matter if the thread gets hijacked a bit. Again this post was about funning the guy who told me I didn't know which one of MY rifles shoots best.

BTW I've shot multiple groups under .5" at 100 yards with my Marlin 60. That should really stir up the fan boys. Let 'er rip guys. I'll get the popcorn going.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  11. True Finn

True Finn New Member

Ruger 10/22 because of flexibility, buy Marlin M60 is also very accurate and dependaple. Had Marlin years ago, but sold it :( Nowdays its quite hard to get licence to half-auto gun Finland. Because school shootings etc...

I guess it will be quite much harder after tomorrow when one guy shot 3 people and wounded 8 in finland by shooting them from the roof with .22LR. Police havent told what gun was, only in was .22LR, but looked CZ452 to me with 10-round clip.
  12. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

The world is full of sick people. What's bad is that people like that are the reason the rest of us need guns to protect ourselves. We might have a nut like that shooting up our neighborhood. If the law prevents us from owning guns then only the bad guy will have one.

I know people think that if we got rid of all guns we wouldn't have to worry about someone else having one. But that is just never going to happen. Who's going to cover every inch of space in a country to make sure there are no guns there? And what about people smart enough to build their own guns? When he was 11 or 12 my son built an air rifle that would easily kill someone. It took about $5 worth of parts and some glue and a cheap air compressor. Once it was pumped up it could be carried around for a long time before it had to be fired or pumped up again. With an air tank that was big enough it could have fired dozens of times.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

14. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I bet the OP done got 'et by coyotes he was tryin' to shoot with his "best " 22 he was tryin' to pick up at a yard sale.
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    9 coyotes died in my back yard at the hands of my neighbors boy. 1 by .270, 2 by 30-30 1 by 22 mag. the other 5 by his 22 LR rifle which I helped him to sight in and taught him how to shoot. A few gophers and a bushel basket full of ground squirrels also fell to his little itty bitty underpowered 22LR at ranges from 60 yards to 165 yards.
  16. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

You'll get kicked out of the "Old Grump" union by teaching neighbor boys how to shoot like that. ;) That's always a good thing to do IMO. And a .22 will certainly bring down a coyote if you hit it in the right spot. You can kill most anything with one if you hit it just right. I might not shoot a brown bear or a cape buffalo with one but Native Alaskans have been known to kill walrus with them. Word is they loved the Nylon 66 because it wouldn't freeze up because it didn't use actual lube. It cycled on the slick plastic and didn't need lube or so I hear. It's been a long time since I looked close at one.
  17. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Oops! Double post.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  18. Bushboy

Bushboy New Member

While I love the 10-22, what about the S&W 15-22. Its a good shooter, has hi cap mags and doubles as great practice for your AR
  19. One Shot

One Shot Member

I think it is the 10-22 that was given to me for fixing a Jeep. I've been wanting one for a while now.

It was a simple fix for a problem that he had been fighting for years. I told him I would look at it just for the challenge and wanted nothing for the repair.

The Lord does provide.
  20. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is it in a nutshell for me. Thanks for posting for me grampi. However, step up to the 22mag. The coyote would greatly appreciate it. :D Seriously, I am a hunter that does not like to wound an animal so I take killing an animal seriously. Even though the coyote is on the bottom of my list, I am not into seeing them suffer,,, not one bit.