whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. box20022

box20022 New Member

Although I have not fired them all I have heard what many have already stated either the Marlin 60 or the Ruger 10/22. I have a Glenfield /Marlin 60 that I love and it is said, and I can attest to that it is highly accurate and reliable. Mine was made in 1981 and the common problem with all older Marlins is the plastic buffer which breaks down with time and its a pain to replace for me at least. The other .22 I own and really love is a Sears Ted Williams 3T which is a Winchester 190. My Marlin only fires .22 LR with a capacity of 18 in the tube one in the chamber. The 3T fires all three .22 from short to LR. I have the period compatible 4X Sears Ted Williams scope which is a Weaver scope and compliments the rifle nicely. Both are great, reliable, and accurate. I would go with a Winchester 190 though.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have both the 10/22 and the model 60. They are both excellent weapons, I've taken hundreds of rabbits and squirrels with both and the one advantage the 10/22 has is in reloading. The 10/22 uses magazines, so you can have several ready and the model 60 is tube feed, which can be slow to load and even harder on a cold winter day with gloves on.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    One 10/22 is my target gun., the other is an iron sighted carbine but I choose to take my 60 in the woods because it's just as accurate, lighter and easier to handle. When it gets cold and snow on the ground I have never done enough shooting to need a reload. Either I get my squirrel or rabbit or don't.

Just my dos cetavos from the north woods.
  4. ctchap70

ctchap70 New Member

Ive owned both the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10-22. I sold the Marlin a while back to help fund a 17hmr I wanted. Now I have the Ruger in the sportster model. I love it. It loves CCI mini mags.
  5. DeeDubya

DeeDubya New Member

I recently put a new stock on my Volquartsen heavy barrel. Jewell trigger. 4x18 with AO and barrel mount base. Too much fun. Easy to convert to 17 for a change.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      164.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

Why use a .22? I used to shoot ground hogs with a Rem 700V in .308, with a 168gr Sierra hpbt. The groung hogs never complained.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

$19 for 20 rounds vs $3.50 for 50 rounds. Not everybody reloads.
  8. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I have a nice old Savage 6A that's a straight shooter, and have nailed assorted Southern varmints with it out to 150 yds. Good enuf for me. :)

[​IMG]
  9. ozo

ozo Active Member

If you want a $200 rifle......
    If you want to put $$$$$ into it.....
    If you want to put $$$$$ and time into it.....

The BEST .22lr rifle is what you want it to be.

For me.....out of the box....
    a Marlin 39D lever action.....duh, I know,
    not a semi-auto.[and out of production]
    I have to recommend a Ruger 10/22
    because sooooooo many great aftermarket
    parts are available......hands down.
    Now, on to......what's the best carry gun ?
    Bet that question ain't never came up !
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I really like the Ruger 10/22 taketown.
  11. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

It depends on the ammo. My Marlin 25N does not like Federal's plated bullets. It will hold tight groups with Winchester Wildcats, but loosens up if I switch to Remington thunderbolts or lightnings. If I spend the money on CCI Stingers I can hold MOA groups all day long, but I'd go broke doing it. What ever you decide on try all the varieties of ammo and see what fits your gun the best.
  12. DeeDubya

DeeDubya New Member

A 22 rimfire is not a good choice for coyotes. You will most likely have more wounded animals than dead ones. A crippled coyote that didn't die a slow death would be forced to choose easy prey like chickens, house cats, etc.

Out to 40 yards I would choose a 12 guage with buck shot. Beyond that, any accurate centerfire will work.

I can't imagine anyone shooting so many coyotes that the cost of ammo would be a major concern. Is the objective a clean kill on more coyotes or just spraying 22 rimfire ammo to have fun?
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

I live half a mile from the Wisconsin River on one side and 400 yards from the Blue River on the other side. We have had a lot of coyotes. My neighbors have sheep, cattle, and hogs, another neighbor has goats and more than one lamb and calf have fallen to coyotes in the field next to my field. Average shot on a coyote in the open has been about 60 yards and they all went down. Closest coyote I ever saw outside of New Mexico was 35 yards from me in the woods and he went down to my brothers 30-30 because we were deer hunting and it's what he had. The coyotes taken by the neighbor boy were all in an open pasture so they were easy shots. I only know of one he had to shoot twice because it got up and started moving away. Depends on the shooter. Since then he has bought a 22 magnum but I don't know if he has hunted with it yet. Cross my North fence and go onto state land where there is more cover and the shots are longer then I would agree that a centerfire would be more appropriate but his 270 seems like a little over kill an a 35 pound animal. My 25-20 would be good but at $69 a box for ammo I don't think so. I'd have to go with your choice of a .308.
  14. north tex

north tex Member

A few years back I had to "discretely" take out a mangy coyote with a large growth on it's right hip in a N Texas city. Used a 22LR in a rifle. Shot it from about 60 yards, head shot, as it was looking straight at me. When my partner walked up to it the thing jumped up and faced him. He had to finish it with a 9mm. (There went "discrete") As it turned out my 22 shot had hit just above the eyes in the center of the head, plowed a furrow through the hair and ricocheted off into the bank beyond.:eek:
  15. Popeye79

Popeye79 Former Guest

I've owned a number of .22 semi autos. My two favorites were the Remington Nylon 66 (no longer in production) and the Remington 597. I like the 597 slightly better for its styling and because it's available in stainless steel. The Ruger 10/22 is nearly as good and can be customized like crazy. But customizing does not seem to be your goal.

A coyote would seem to be at the upper end of the animal size scale for a .22 long rifle. That round is more suited to squirrels and the like. But at moderate ranges and with good shot placement, a .22 long rifle can be effective on coyotes. Just be ready for a follow up shot in the event the first shot hits but does not kill the coyote. Besides the ethical issues of wounding animals, there's the practical issue of dealing with a wounded predator. A .22 magnum might be a better choice. Or a .22 centerfire rifle.

And if the gun is going to be lying around a lot and not cleaned after every shooting session, then I'd recommend a stainless steel gun over a carbon steel gun. The stainless gun will hold up much better.
  16. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Member

Love my Remington 597 ..Under $200.Right out of the box with iron sights :) eats all kind of ammo , likes the new Remington golden bullet in bulk :)
  17. stev32k

stev32k Active Member

I just bought this 10/22 on Monday this week. It's almost too pretty to shoot. But it does have a competition trigger that is really nice. The best part is that it fits me better than any rifle I've ever held.

I've ordered a Nikon 3 - 9 scope that should be here next week and can't wait to get on the range.

Attached Files:

18. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I like my Marlin Model 60. Wish I'd have bought one decades ago.
  19. kenboman

kenboman New Member

the answer is Volquarten which can come in 3 different calibers and even interchangable barrels.
  20. kenboman

kenboman New Member

volquartsen