whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

You'll get kicked out of the "Old Grump" union by teaching neighbor boys how to shoot like that. ;) That's always a good thing to do IMO. And a .22 will certainly bring down a coyote if you hit it in the right spot. You can kill most anything with one if you hit it just right. I might not shoot a brown bear or a cape buffalo with one but Native Alaskans have been known to kill walrus with them. Word is they loved the Nylon 66 because it wouldn't freeze up because it didn't use actual lube. It cycled on the slick plastic and didn't need lube or so I hear. It's been a long time since I looked close at one.
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Oops! Double post.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. Bushboy

Bushboy New Member

While I love the 10-22, what about the S&W 15-22. Its a good shooter, has hi cap mags and doubles as great practice for your AR
  4. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

I think it is the 10-22 that was given to me for fixing a Jeep. I've been wanting one for a while now.

It was a simple fix for a problem that he had been fighting for years. I told him I would look at it just for the challenge and wanted nothing for the repair.

The Lord does provide.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is it in a nutshell for me. Thanks for posting for me grampi. However, step up to the 22mag. The coyote would greatly appreciate it. :D Seriously, I am a hunter that does not like to wound an animal so I take killing an animal seriously. Even though the coyote is on the bottom of my list, I am not into seeing them suffer,,, not one bit.
  6. box20022

box20022 New Member

Although I have not fired them all I have heard what many have already stated either the Marlin 60 or the Ruger 10/22. I have a Glenfield /Marlin 60 that I love and it is said, and I can attest to that it is highly accurate and reliable. Mine was made in 1981 and the common problem with all older Marlins is the plastic buffer which breaks down with time and its a pain to replace for me at least. The other .22 I own and really love is a Sears Ted Williams 3T which is a Winchester 190. My Marlin only fires .22 LR with a capacity of 18 in the tube one in the chamber. The 3T fires all three .22 from short to LR. I have the period compatible 4X Sears Ted Williams scope which is a Weaver scope and compliments the rifle nicely. Both are great, reliable, and accurate. I would go with a Winchester 190 though.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have both the 10/22 and the model 60. They are both excellent weapons, I've taken hundreds of rabbits and squirrels with both and the one advantage the 10/22 has is in reloading. The 10/22 uses magazines, so you can have several ready and the model 60 is tube feed, which can be slow to load and even harder on a cold winter day with gloves on.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    One 10/22 is my target gun., the other is an iron sighted carbine but I choose to take my 60 in the woods because it's just as accurate, lighter and easier to handle. When it gets cold and snow on the ground I have never done enough shooting to need a reload. Either I get my squirrel or rabbit or don't.

Just my dos cetavos from the north woods.
  9. ctchap70

ctchap70 New Member

Ive owned both the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 10-22. I sold the Marlin a while back to help fund a 17hmr I wanted. Now I have the Ruger in the sportster model. I love it. It loves CCI mini mags.
  10. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

I recently put a new stock on my Volquartsen heavy barrel. Jewell trigger. 4x18 with AO and barrel mount base. Too much fun. Easy to convert to 17 for a change.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      164.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

Why use a .22? I used to shoot ground hogs with a Rem 700V in .308, with a 168gr Sierra hpbt. The groung hogs never complained.
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    $19 for 20 rounds vs $3.50 for 50 rounds. Not everybody reloads.
  13. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I have a nice old Savage 6A that's a straight shooter, and have nailed assorted Southern varmints with it out to 150 yds. Good enuf for me. :)

[​IMG]
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

If you want a $200 rifle......
    If you want to put $$$$$ into it.....
    If you want to put $$$$$ and time into it.....

The BEST .22lr rifle is what you want it to be.

For me.....out of the box....
    a Marlin 39D lever action.....duh, I know,
    not a semi-auto.[and out of production]
    I have to recommend a Ruger 10/22
    because sooooooo many great aftermarket
    parts are available......hands down.
    Now, on to......what's the best carry gun ?
    Bet that question ain't never came up !
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  15. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I really like the Ruger 10/22 taketown.