1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

whats the best 22 automatic rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by redbelly52, Feb 25, 2008.

1. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

It depends on the ammo. My Marlin 25N does not like Federal's plated bullets. It will hold tight groups with Winchester Wildcats, but loosens up if I switch to Remington thunderbolts or lightnings. If I spend the money on CCI Stingers I can hold MOA groups all day long, but I'd go broke doing it. What ever you decide on try all the varieties of ammo and see what fits your gun the best.
  2. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

A 22 rimfire is not a good choice for coyotes. You will most likely have more wounded animals than dead ones. A crippled coyote that didn't die a slow death would be forced to choose easy prey like chickens, house cats, etc.

Out to 40 yards I would choose a 12 guage with buck shot. Beyond that, any accurate centerfire will work.

I can't imagine anyone shooting so many coyotes that the cost of ammo would be a major concern. Is the objective a clean kill on more coyotes or just spraying 22 rimfire ammo to have fun?
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I live half a mile from the Wisconsin River on one side and 400 yards from the Blue River on the other side. We have had a lot of coyotes. My neighbors have sheep, cattle, and hogs, another neighbor has goats and more than one lamb and calf have fallen to coyotes in the field next to my field. Average shot on a coyote in the open has been about 60 yards and they all went down. Closest coyote I ever saw outside of New Mexico was 35 yards from me in the woods and he went down to my brothers 30-30 because we were deer hunting and it's what he had. The coyotes taken by the neighbor boy were all in an open pasture so they were easy shots. I only know of one he had to shoot twice because it got up and started moving away. Depends on the shooter. Since then he has bought a 22 magnum but I don't know if he has hunted with it yet. Cross my North fence and go onto state land where there is more cover and the shots are longer then I would agree that a centerfire would be more appropriate but his 270 seems like a little over kill an a 35 pound animal. My 25-20 would be good but at $69 a box for ammo I don't think so. I'd have to go with your choice of a .308.
  4. north tex

north tex Member

A few years back I had to "discretely" take out a mangy coyote with a large growth on it's right hip in a N Texas city. Used a 22LR in a rifle. Shot it from about 60 yards, head shot, as it was looking straight at me. When my partner walked up to it the thing jumped up and faced him. He had to finish it with a 9mm. (There went "discrete") As it turned out my 22 shot had hit just above the eyes in the center of the head, plowed a furrow through the hair and ricocheted off into the bank beyond.:eek:
  5. Popeye79

Popeye79 Former Guest

I've owned a number of .22 semi autos. My two favorites were the Remington Nylon 66 (no longer in production) and the Remington 597. I like the 597 slightly better for its styling and because it's available in stainless steel. The Ruger 10/22 is nearly as good and can be customized like crazy. But customizing does not seem to be your goal.

A coyote would seem to be at the upper end of the animal size scale for a .22 long rifle. That round is more suited to squirrels and the like. But at moderate ranges and with good shot placement, a .22 long rifle can be effective on coyotes. Just be ready for a follow up shot in the event the first shot hits but does not kill the coyote. Besides the ethical issues of wounding animals, there's the practical issue of dealing with a wounded predator. A .22 magnum might be a better choice. Or a .22 centerfire rifle.

And if the gun is going to be lying around a lot and not cleaned after every shooting session, then I'd recommend a stainless steel gun over a carbon steel gun. The stainless gun will hold up much better.
  6. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

Love my Remington 597 ..Under $200.Right out of the box with iron sights :) eats all kind of ammo , likes the new Remington golden bullet in bulk :)
  7. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I just bought this 10/22 on Monday this week. It's almost too pretty to shoot. But it does have a competition trigger that is really nice. The best part is that it fits me better than any rifle I've ever held.

I've ordered a Nikon 3 - 9 scope that should be here next week and can't wait to get on the range.

Attached Files:

8. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I like my Marlin Model 60. Wish I'd have bought one decades ago.
  9. kenboman

kenboman New Member

the answer is Volquarten which can come in 3 different calibers and even interchangable barrels.
  10. kenboman

kenboman New Member

volquartsen
  11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I have a 10/22 and a henry goldenboy, my nephew has a rem 597, and a friend has a browning sa-22, of the 4 I really like the browning the best. Too bad my friend won't sell or trade it to me. I'll just have to keep looking till I find one.
  12. Joe M

Joe M Member

IMHO, the 10/22 Ruger. I have the Marlin 795 and it's okay, and I've had the Marlin 60 tube fed (which I don't like), and unfortunately I have a Remington 522 Viper that is total junk without the after market metal magazine of which I have two.

So for me, I choose the 10/22 Ruger. It's just flat out reliable.

My two cents worth.
  13. Munch

Munch Member

I lean towards the 10/22 also. I had very bad luck with a Savage, Great luck with a few Marlin, but I love the 10/22 over all of them.
  14. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22
  15. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Another vote for Ruger's 10/22. Hasn't been a time since they were introduced back in the '60s that we haven't had one in our gun cabinet.