what's the best buy on bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Feb 9, 2011.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

being a beginning reloader im uncertain as to what type of bullets i need to get for various calibers.

i know that for my glock 22 i want .400 diameter 180 grain jacketed bullets. i know i could use plated bullets, but i dont see much if any difference in cost.

someone turned me onto zero bullets and they seem to be inexpensive. and although i havent tried them, decent quality.

i guess im seeking advice on a good value bullet for plinking. also i'd be interested in some 180 grain hollow points for SD. currently im using factory speer gold dots.

i've seen ammo boxes full of bullets at a local gun store, but dont know the maker or brand. i didnt ask either as i didnt think about it until i had left.

thanks for the help and advice.

~john
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I usually favor buying in quantities of 1k+, sometimes its easier if you can get a couple of guys to go in on 5000 and then it's a really good price break. I like Rainiers or Berrys for plated plinking loads. Dardas for cast and Hornady for plated. I buy from wherever I can find the best price. I picked up 2000 Meister .32 LFN from Midway a couple of months back for $78 shipped. Makes my 32 HR loads come out to about .09 each fully loaded.

Put together a list of calibers you're going to be loading for in the immediate future and I'll link some sources for ya.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

38special/357 smith and wesson magnum and 40 smith and wesson are the only calibers in my immediate future.

in the further future though i can see just about anything but probably 45acp will be bought my next adventure sometime this year
  4. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Berrry's has free shipping on orders over $50. Helps when you are shipping 30lbs of lead.

m
  5. woolleyworm

some examples of cost breakdowns

Berry's has .38 148gn HBWC's ( plated ) for $102 per 1000 ( total cost), just a hair over .10c per bullet. ( which means I can reload a completed round for about .16c or $8.00 per box of 50 )

Montana Gold has Jacketed bullets for the .40 for $132 for 1000 180gn FMJ, right at .13c per bullet and .20 per completed round. Estimated cost for a box of 50 = $10

Grafs has MAGTECH BULLET .38cal 158gr SJHP for $115 per 1000 if you buy 2000 min. $336 upfront cost with shipping, box of 50 loaded = $8.50 or .17/round.

Remington Match Bullets 38 Caliber (358 Diameter) 148 Grain Lead Hollow Base Wadcutter are $115 for 2000 bullets at midway, so if you want to shoot lead, you're only looking at a bit over .06 per bullet and around .11 per completed round, box of 50 = $5.50 for great target ammo.

Yes, there is an upfront cost, but the long term savings is huge. Even if you have to save up for a bit, better to do that and get the best deal you can for your $$.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with the worm on this one. Before i began casting i bought bullets by the K, Mainly cuz i got a itchy trigger finger and my FIL is worse than I am... Factory fodder will break you if you love to shoot and have a personal place to do it whenever you want:eek: Bulk reloading is THE ONLY way to afford it!
  7. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a friend who casts bullets on a large scale for his use and resale.I have not reloaded any pistol cartridges yet but if I do,what if any disadvantages are there in using his cast and lubed bullets as opposed to factory jacketed bullets?
  8. woolleyworm

You can't load cast bullets as hot, velocities should be kept below a max of around 1100fps, I ususally keep it welll under that, just because I don't need to push it, I get good results before I reach that point. One exception is with the 327, I get good results with hard cast and push them at around 1250fps with no leading problems. There are many different types/compositions of bullet lead, so there isn't and hard fast rule on velocity.

Lubed bullets are also a little messier on the dies to load and you'll need to watch your expander die setup and make sure that as you're seating, that you're not shaving the lead. If so, adjust your expander die to open up the case a tiny bit more.
  9. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks again Wolley.I thought the lubed bullets might be messy to use.It's messy just handling them alone.When I shoot through the 1500 or so rds of S&B Factory bullets I've got I Will buy the 9mm dies and possibly use jacketed bullets.Not to change the subjuct but are you aware of problems with reloading S&B cases because of the primer pocket?
  10. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Hey John-
    Just acquired a Glock 22 myself. .40 S&W. I also have plans on reloading this caliber, as I am already set up for reloading, and been doing so off & on for 35yrs. I was thinking of using the 165 grn and 180 grn bullet weights. The question I have is, in the manual for the Glock, it recommends using only quality factory ammo, and not to use reloaded ammo. So....I talked to a friend that has been into firearms for a bit longer then I and works part time in a gun shop in southern Michigan, about the Glock and reloads. He claims a friend of his had the Glock 22 compact at the range this past fall, shooting his handloads, and the gun exploded and came apart while in the cycling process. Whew....not good!! Glock did him a favor and replaced the gun, and he was lucky he didn't have any damage to himself, other then a few bruises and ego. But, anyway, this friend recommended not reloading the .40 S&W in the Glock 22, and if I did, to carefully inspect the brass after each reload, and not to reload brass more then 3 times. He did mention that you could replace the Glock barrel with another after market one for around $150....don't remember what brand...that this would eliminate the problem. Otherwise, he just suggested using Blazer ammo for shooting, in the 165 & 180 grn. from Wally World for about $17-20 per box. Do you, or anyone else on the TFF... know what gives?? thanks for a reply.....
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

S&B reloads good, but dang they do have some tight primer pockets..
  12. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Reloading for Glocks is no problem......until you start shooting lead bullets down the barrel. Polyagonal rifling lends it self excellent to barrel leading, and can reduce the inner dimension of the barrel, for lack of a better statement it "reduces the caliber" in the process. At one point the increased pressure of the bullet traveling down the reduced diameter will end up in a catastrophic failure. Yes there are people doing it and getting away with it but a safe reloader will avoid this scenario all together. Shoot jacketed bullets and reload them to your hearts content, I have fired thousands of Montana golds through a G17 and always have a great, safe experience in doing so, knowing that my reloads are completed with respect and care.
  13. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

http://www.precisiondeltasales.com/.

Here is the cheapest place that I have found. 40 S&W 165 gr fmj for $108. Per 1000. They have a limited selection but I have been buying 9mm and 45ACP. $74. for 9mm 115gr fmj and $119. For 45 230gr fmj. They ship for free as long as you purchase two thousand at a time. You can mix calibers of a thousand each to reach a total of two thousand.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011