The Firearms Forum banner

Whats the best caliber of rifle for varmits?

12K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  Gun Geezer 
#1 ·
Groundhog, coyote and such. I'm in the market for a good rifle to shoot these types of varmits and looking for some input.

#3 ·
I would look at a 22-250 or 243. 25-06 is another good choice, but would definitely have to be a reloader as ammo is harder to come by.
Still alot of other factors that come into play though, as RC eluded to.
What range are you anticipating and how much shooting do you plan on?
If you plan on alot of shooting, then go with a caliber that is readily available if you don't handload.

#5 ·
Groundhogs are not a big problem in my area. We have a few and they are fairly easy to kill. I use a Hi Point 9mm carbine on coyotes. Shooting coyotes in this are is a close range affair. I just ride along the edges of field that coyotes frequent in a pick up truck. Once we spot the coyotes it's on. After a few coyote casualties they usually move on.

#12 ·
I don't know how much punch a .223 will have at 500 yds on a coyote, but I know my 22-250 has done a nice job at that range on a lot of rockchucks. They would probably mass out about the same as the western coyotes I've seen. In the east the 'yotes run considerably larger.

#13 ·
The federal site lists a 60 grain nosler bullet with 250 foot pounds energy , a 42 inch 10 mph crosswind drift and a 13 inch drop with a 100 yard zero.
This would be outside of my capabilities to hit the vitals (5 inch) on a STANDING coyote.
It is commonly considered that a minimum of 700 foot pounds is necessary to bring down a deer and that is reached around 150 yards.
If you are shooting coyotes I would think you would be OK out to 300 yards IF YOU CAN PLACE A SHOT CONSISTANTY IN A 5 INCH CIRCLE. That includes accurate range estimation and wind doping. Range shooting is one thing and field hunting is another.
The above basics will be necessary for any caliber.
I think the 223 is fine for deer out to 150 yards with partition bullets and further on coyotes if one's marksmanship is adequate.
Some how I wonder how the military figures a 5.56 mm can regularly kill a man out to 400 yards with approximately 400 foot pounds-- the military 5.56 undoubtedly is loaded hotter but the example still stands ( I believe that is the Marine qualification distance)
For long distance shooting a larger caliber will buck the wind better 243, 6.5 ...
Just some thoughts from this quarter

#14 · (Edited)
Some how I wonder how the military figures a 5.56 mm can regularly kill a man out to 400 yards with approximately 400 foot pounds-- the military 5.56 undoubtedly is loaded hotter but the example still stands ( I believe that is the Marine qualification distance)
Nope. Here's the USMC firearms qual. MARINE CORPS ORDER 3574.2K (2007) http://community.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO 3574.2K.pdf. Still 200, 300 and 500 meters (yds when I served), in various positions.

Btw, the above is a pretty good drill for those wishing to hone their rifle and pistol skills.

#15 ·
I use .204 for yote here in Maine the longest shot so far was just under 450 yards and took the yote NP. I have practice with it out to 600 as long as my aim is true they rarely run more then 20 yards if that...

#17 ·
I'm a 6mm fan, better wind characteristics where I shoot.
As an aside, The Military doesn't neccessarily want to kill all the time, a wounded man requires more men to attend to him, so wounding capacity is a prime consideration. The hard truth of combat.

#23 · (Edited)
Ok you asked for a good rifle not cal. So here goes my 2 cents.

I would buy the DPMS in 243 for the varmits and buy a uppper in 308 for your deer. One lower reciever and 2 uppers. Then you can send the lower rec to williams trigger specialties and get a set trigger installed and you have one killing machine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.