Whats the best caliber of rifle for varmits?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by RugerUser, Nov 23, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

5.56/.223 has plenty of oomph for coyotes as well as two legged critters at 500m, especially effective if you use the right bullet for the intended target.
  2. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It all depends on what you call a varmint. These wolves are not protected and are varmints. These critters can carry a hand full of .224 bullets. My choice is the 25-06 loaded with 87 grs bullets at max speed. ;)

Attached Files:

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Ok you asked for a good rifle not cal. So here goes my 2 cents.

I would buy the DPMS in 243 for the varmits and buy a uppper in 308 for your deer. One lower reciever and 2 uppers. Then you can send the lower rec to williams trigger specialties and get a set trigger installed and you have one killing machine
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I don't care how big a wolf is or can get, a well placed shot from a .223 will take down any wolf.
  5. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

OK I didn't see this side presented.

The one you are most proficient with.

A $200 dollar hammer doesn't make you a carpenter,
    how you use it does.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Couldn't agree with the above more.

If you are happy with a certain rifle and shoot it well just find an appropriate load for the size varmit. I am fond of .30 cal in almost any use.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

We think husky and lab. No dark coloring whatsoever on her tongue, and she's very active. She spends much of each evening "patrolling" our 70 acres at a sprint. Also, one pup in her litter had a blue eye.
    But we got her in a parking lot, so we can't ever be certain.

As for the real purpose of this thread, I use. 223 for varmints. AR with an EOTech sight and a mounted flashlight. I really want to move to night vision at some point, but that's well down the road.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

100% of the ground Hogs I have interviewed would prefer to be shoot with a 223 over any other cartridge. They didn't say much as they all had softball sized holes in their body with guts hanging out.

I have 3 varmint rifles.

1. Remington 700 VLS in 223 kills out to 450 yards with 50gr V-Max bullets. Never lost one yet with that set up.

2. RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle in 223/556 killes out to 425 with this using 60gr V-Max bullets. The 425 yard shot was slightly down hill and it looked like that chuck jumped on a granade to save his buddies.

3. 25-06 M-98 custom. I have killed a ground squirrel at 475 yards with that one 1 shot no sighters. That gun is amazing. Lets just say once we made it to that kill it looked like someone sent it through a meat grinder 2 or 3 times.

For what the OP is asking a 223 bolt or AR will do him fine. Ammo is cheap even good quality varmint ammo. 22-250 220 Swift 25-06 is just burning more powder to do the same job....
  9. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  10. savage170

savage170 Member

I grew up using a old 340 savage chambered for 222 Rem for that role and I have always been partial to the 222 Rem since but where I was raised very seldom the shot would be more then 150 yds
  11. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

I have a chance at a remington model 788 chambered in .243. This should work good huh?
  12. Kleryk

Kleryk New Member

13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

this round is so versatile and an excellent choice esp if you hand load
    my second choice would be a 17 Rem, it was designed to be a varmint round
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Who knows. You are buying a used rifle. Is it from soneone you know and how many rounds have been put through it? How much are you paying for it?
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

In no particular order, I've use and have used;
    .22LR
    .22 Mag.
    .204 Ruger
    .223/5.56
    .243 WIN
    and yep, .270 WIN and .30-06 Sprin.. Was out target shooting one day and a Ground
    Hog happened to be in the "right" place at the right time, so he ate a 7mm REM MAG.

I reckon if your pelt hunting, stay with the "lighter" calibers.
  16. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

That was the rifle/caliber combination my better half used for years on Sitka Blacktail deer. Not too many varmints around here, but years ago back east the HBAR saw use in that role, as did my Garand.
  17. Derek Heuring

Derek Heuring New Member

I may be showing my age here but either the .22-250 or .22 Savage High Power are excellent choices for Varminting.
  18. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

i agree with you, love my 6mm (remington 788) hard to miss accuracy wise and can be loaded down or up,, 20% more powder capacity then .243 but basically the same,,, and can be used for other game depending on the load,, can take from a 55 grain to 110 grain bullet so gives a lot of variaty in what you wish to use from rabbits to deer. have used mine on yotes 75gr hollowpoint drops them like a rock at 400 plus yards/
  19. fragout

fragout New Member

Around my homestead, the #1 varmint = feral pigs/wild hogs.

My best rifle/caliber for them things = M1A-A1 and M14S.

From point blank on out to my maximum effective range..... it's the better rifle for me.

Have used various loads for dumpin them. Anything from Milsurp FMJ to match loads into various hunting loads.

Barrel life is longer than most others too boot.

Hogs here often run in groups, so I try and shoot as many as I can when the opportunity presents. All focus when using my M14S = fundamentals...... shoot....acquire another.....rinse...repeat.

I have plenty of 7.62x51mm/308Win ammo.

As far as 2 legged varmints, I prefer to kill them outright, as a wounded badguy can still be dangerous, from my experience at it downrange. (U.S. Army Infantry here, and still serving currently)

Whoever thought up that baloney about wounding enemy combatants instead of killing them has not been shot at by a wounded enemy......much less had a grenade tossed in their direction.
    Besides......it's the "humane" thing to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  20. langenc

langenc Member

Best caliber-shoot what you got.

More shooting of the deer rifle makes one a better shot while deer hunting, and everything else. That is GOOD.