Whats the best caliber of rifle for varmits?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by RugerUser, Nov 23, 2012.

1. whizzer

whizzer New Member

Go with the 243 cal, good all around for varmits, deer . Good to reload also Use a 308 cartiage and neck it down. also Good accuracy and shot.
  2. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I'm a 6mm fan, better wind characteristics where I shoot.
    As an aside, The Military doesn't neccessarily want to kill all the time, a wounded man requires more men to attend to him, so wounding capacity is a prime consideration. The hard truth of combat.
    hstout1143 likes this.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I don't even get to see live varmints anymore.

Dead Groundhog (1).jpg Drowned Raccoon (1).jpg

So I guess my caliber is "dog." :cool:
    rawright54 likes this.
  4. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

No deer in ohio where I live with a rifle only shotguns.
  5. RugerUser

RugerUser New Member

6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

5.56/.223 has plenty of oomph for coyotes as well as two legged critters at 500m, especially effective if you use the right bullet for the intended target.
  7. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It all depends on what you call a varmint. These wolves are not protected and are varmints. These critters can carry a hand full of .224 bullets. My choice is the 25-06 loaded with 87 grs bullets at max speed. ;)

Attached Files:

8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Ok you asked for a good rifle not cal. So here goes my 2 cents.

I would buy the DPMS in 243 for the varmits and buy a uppper in 308 for your deer. One lower reciever and 2 uppers. Then you can send the lower rec to williams trigger specialties and get a set trigger installed and you have one killing machine
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I don't care how big a wolf is or can get, a well placed shot from a .223 will take down any wolf.
    hstout1143 likes this.
  10. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

OK I didn't see this side presented.

The one you are most proficient with.

A $200 dollar hammer doesn't make you a carpenter,
    how you use it does.
    rawright54 likes this.
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Couldn't agree with the above more.

If you are happy with a certain rifle and shoot it well just find an appropriate load for the size varmit. I am fond of .30 cal in almost any use.
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

We think husky and lab. No dark coloring whatsoever on her tongue, and she's very active. She spends much of each evening "patrolling" our 70 acres at a sprint. Also, one pup in her litter had a blue eye.
    But we got her in a parking lot, so we can't ever be certain.

As for the real purpose of this thread, I use. 223 for varmints. AR with an EOTech sight and a mounted flashlight. I really want to move to night vision at some point, but that's well down the road.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

100% of the ground Hogs I have interviewed would prefer to be shoot with a 223 over any other cartridge. They didn't say much as they all had softball sized holes in their body with guts hanging out.

I have 3 varmint rifles.

1. Remington 700 VLS in 223 kills out to 450 yards with 50gr V-Max bullets. Never lost one yet with that set up.

2. RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle in 223/556 killes out to 425 with this using 60gr V-Max bullets. The 425 yard shot was slightly down hill and it looked like that chuck jumped on a granade to save his buddies.

3. 25-06 M-98 custom. I have killed a ground squirrel at 475 yards with that one 1 shot no sighters. That gun is amazing. Lets just say once we made it to that kill it looked like someone sent it through a meat grinder 2 or 3 times.

For what the OP is asking a 223 bolt or AR will do him fine. Ammo is cheap even good quality varmint ammo. 22-250 220 Swift 25-06 is just burning more powder to do the same job....
  14. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  15. savage170

savage170 Member

I grew up using a old 340 savage chambered for 222 Rem for that role and I have always been partial to the 222 Rem since but where I was raised very seldom the shot would be more then 150 yds