whats the best duty weapon?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rent_a_pig, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rent_a_pig

rent_a_pig New Member

I am a security guard andI have been a Ruger man for a long time. I used to carry a p89 and for the last year I have been carrying a p90 both are great guns, but I think it's time for a change. I want to try something new with out spending a grand. The p90 is a nice gun however, it lacks a few things, one of them being a tac rail. I would like to stay with a .45 ACP. I was thinking about getting a Glock 21C, but to be honest I am really tired of seeing and hearing "Glock". I also considered the Ruger p345, but as I said; "its time for a change". I thought about a Springfield XD but I have heard some bad things. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Just please dont post saying a certain gun is awsome just because you happen to have that gun and nothing else worth mentioning. Im looking for some serious advice from avid shooters.
  2. Keola

Keola New Member

Currently Springfield, VA. Soon to be back home i
    I would encourage you to get some magazines and read up on the pistols that are available. Maybe even go to one of your local ranges and rent what they have and try it out, who knows you might like a "Glock". I would say that just about every pistol that's on the market will have some write up about it, but it's up to you on what you want. Not every gun is as it seems in the write up though, you just might get a flaky one out of the group even if most of the write ups are great.

Personally, I like 1911's, but I have also aquired a taste for Sig's and I have a SA XD 9mm which I love shooting.

All pistols are can be great...... but it really boils down to ...does it feel good in you hands and can you handle it correctly to do what you need to do.....
  3. ArmyCop

ArmyCop New Member

Although currently unemployed - when I was Police Aux my duty weapon was a Ruger P94 in .40 cal.
    I'm soon to get a Crimson Trace laser grip for it - doesn't affect any holster you normally would use.
    I also would prefer if it had a rail to add a flashlight as needed - not perm mount but on and off as I want - Does Ruger have anyway to send suggestions?
    I really wouldn't want to swap from Ruger - especially considering one day wanting to purchase one of their carbine's in .40 cal that would allow mag interchange with my P94.
    Let us know what you decide...

PS: Any chance a smith could machine rails onto a Ruger?
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

When I was on the street as a very active reservist forty years ago, I carried a Smith Model 15, which I dearly loved. The standard issue was a Smith Model 10, but I preferred the sights on the Combat Masterpiece.

Additionally, I carried a Model 36 on my ankle as a back-up.

That was before the days when the semi came into popular use. In fact, the Montgomery (AL) PD forbid any use of a magazine-fed pistol at the time.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

6. offeror

offeror New Member

I wouldn't get a "C" for a duty gun if I were you. Brands you mention are among the best and most popular -- Rugers and Glocks. Also, if you can afford it, a SIG or an H&K. All these are available in .45 ACP.
  7. Chief P-95

Chief P-95 New Member

Most of guns mentioned as possible carry guns are owned by some company not from the good old USA, even if they are made in the USA the profits go to some place else to be used for firearms research or what ever else the company wants to gain a competitive edge over among others US companies.

My advise: 1. keep your P-89, or 2. buy any Ruger 45, I have 4 including a P-345 with rails(all are great guns). Be aware shooting 45 is more expensive than 9mm. A lot of good practice makes a better shooter. I don't know everything but I have been a LEO for more than 30 years and coach a college pistol team. Good luck and fun making your choice.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Chief P-95, welcome to THE forum. Stick around and enjoy.

I haven't been in the Job for 40 years, and then carried a Colt's 1917. I have carried my P85 (when not carrying the DW .357) for many years and trust my life to it. Solid, dependable, ugly. I love it.

Pops
  9. rent_a_pig

rent_a_pig New Member

Well, I went to the range this weekend and I borrowed a buddies Glock 21, and I gotta say that I liked it! The point of aim was kinda wierd though. It would take some getting used to. My whole problem with getting a Glock is just this: I am the type of person who likes to go against the grain, and everyone and thier third cousin uses a Glock for duty. Yeah, I know; it's kind of a stupid reason not to pick a good gun for duty. I will probably go with the Glock anyway, I just had to mention that it buggs me a bit.
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You are thinking of buying a gun, that you may have to use to DEFEND YOURS (or someone else’s) LIFE, after you admit that it does NOT have a good point of aim (for you) and would TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO?????

WHY????? Because SOMEONE ELSE carries one????

pickenup sits back and shakes his head. Amazing, simply amazing.
  11. rent_a_pig

rent_a_pig New Member

ummm you are WAY off man. If you read the above you would notice that I said that I was hesitant about buying a Glock BECAUSE everyone else has one. I did also mention that I like the way the gun felt and shot, I just said that the aim was wierd. I am picky person and I find something wrong with just about everything. The only gun that I have ever shot that I liked everything about was an H&K, but I dont have 800 bones to just shell out.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Way off??
    Your words, not mine.

13. rent_a_pig

rent_a_pig New Member

i meant this part of your reply.
  14. Chief P-95

Chief P-95 New Member

Pops,
    Thanks for the relpy. I do enjoy reading these forums but seldom post. I have P-85 and love it. Also a P-93DAO it is almost like shooting a revolver, a P-95 and my latest a P-345. All are great shooters. Dwayne
  15. shooter13

shooter13 New Member

If you don't shoot a lot the best would be a .38spec. revolver--- easy to use and most used ones are not to expensive. The worst thing to do is to invest a lot of money in a semi-auto pistol and not be able to safely handle the weapon or complete qualification. I have been a firearms instructor for security for 15 years and have had a number of officers fail to qualify with both autos and wheel guns---people don't practise!!!! It is easier and safer to train a new shooter on a wheelgun and then if they shoot on a regular basis they can transition to a auto. A good use model 10 or 64 smith&wesson is a good starting weapon. (I still prefer Colt) Ruger, S&W, and Glocks are very good weapons that have few problems on the range, but if I ever have to carry a semi-auto it will be a
    Sig-Saurer as I have had a very good experience with these on the range.