whats the best gun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by old semperfi, Feb 6, 2011.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have seen this question asked many times both in this forum and from personel experiance.i am guilty of answering this question just like everybody else,i am wrong.......one of the examples i will give you is i have a single six revolver that has been in my position for over forty years.i can point shoot from the hip probably better than most people can aim at 10-15 yards.is this the best pistol?.....no,because i can take the same model and year gun and not shoot it as well as my own.i have a 686 smith that its my third one,i shoot 10,000 rounds thru them and buy a new one.same thing.it takes a while to get familiar with a new piece.the same with my 45acps and my rifles.it takes years and many thousands of rounds to get "good" with a gun.good meaning shooting that piece is almost as natural as breathing.we can answer what is good for us but its just a guess whats good for others.i think too many people get frustrated with their new guns thinking they were told this is the gun.to truely be good with a firearm is when you dont have to think consentration,trigger control,sight picture,bullet drop.i think its only then that you will truely enjoy our sport.nuff said old semperfi
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I agree. There is no answer to "what is the best gun?" If there were one that were objectively "the best," there wouldn't be a need for any of the others (excepting, of course, for historical and collection purposes).

I think that's why most who answer instinctively convert the question to "what it your best gun?" However, answering as though this were the real question being asked is a great way to confuse the person asking, and that's hardly a goal we should be striving toward.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i agree. i also have a favorite single six. and it's my best gun. i think that being a good shooter and having fun shooting other guns is related to that gun. because even if im trying to get used to another gun, i have that gun to fall back on. it takes a while to convert from one gun to the next just like you said. i have converted from the single six to a ruger 357, and even a 44 mag before without much adjustment. but most shooters, especially new or inexperienced shooters will buy a gun and expect the gun to make them a better shooter.

people try to convert from 1911s to glocks to double action revolvers and it doesnt work right off so they pass up the opportunity to become proficient with another type of gun out of frustration. one thing that helps me accustom myself to a new gun is holding it. strange as it sounds, i just lay it by the end table and when im watching tv i'll just hold it.. get used to the way it feels , maybe point it at the tv. unloaded of course. shooting it makes a big difference but i think just holding makes at least half the difference. for me at least
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Best gun?

The one you will practice with, become proficient with, and ACTUALLY CARRY.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

These questions always devolve to what the responder owns - that particular piece is THE best - primarily because the responder owns it. In my opinion, there is NO best answer to this question. I've just given up reading them - unless I've read everything else on the forum. LOL. Nice observations, Old Semper Fi.

Oh, by the way let me tell you about my H&R...............................:D
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

The "best gun" is a well made gun that is dependable and that you can shoot better than any other.

For me that would be a 1911. I have been shooting them for about 35 years, many thousands of rounds fired. I can disassemble and reassemble them blindfolded and know them inside out. For me point shooting them is almost as accurate as aiming. I own other types of handguns but the 1911 is my best gun because I am tuned to them.

There is no best gun for everyone. When asked I rarely recommend a 1911 for new shooters since they aren't the easiest to master. Most new shooters today don't take the time and effort to master anything and expect to shoot like a pro with a few boxes of bullets and by reading about it.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

GunHugger - nicely stated.
  8. al45lc

al45lc New Member

When I was an instructor and sold guns I got that question all the time. The worst were when a woman would come in with her significant other and he would talk nonsense like full frame .45's for petite women who aren't interested in being a gunny, but just in defending themselves.
    Nothing worse than a self-made 'expert' showing off in front of the femmes.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    The one you want to grab first if you can only grab one and the house is on fire, the flood water is at the back door and the zombies are at the front door. Not necessarily the most accurate or the most expensive or the most powerful but the one you won't let go of until you reach room temperature.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The more I build my own weapons the more I realize the best guns are the ones you invest your blood and sweat into.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The best gun is the one that works best for you. For me, that turned out to be 1911s.

You must master your weapon. Not the other way around. You know someone who is much more practiced with their gun (like let's say a S&W M&P) could probably outshoot me if I was shooting the best Les Baer money could buy. Why? Because they practiced with what they shoot best.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  12. nygunbroker

nygunbroker New Member

Everyone hit the nail on the head. It takes practice and the time to get gun to fit you. Sometimes you can,t make them fit. Before you buy a gun you must decide what you are going to do with it.Concealed Carry,Target, and the night stand gun.All these factors should be taken into account before purchasing the right gun for you.I sometimes buy guns just because! Can anyone say tax refund?
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Very well said, i think your 1st gun u have to feel comfortable with it just has to fit in your hand after that it is practice practice practice like you all said. To me your have to keep shooting until you can pick up a gun and use it without thinking "what do i do first"
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

EXACTLY:D
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

Well said, one and all. Similar to the "what gun should I buy?" question - How much do you weigh? What are you using it for? etc.

There's no one answer. But if there was, it would be 1911 .45. :D