The Firearms Forum banner

Whats the best way to attract coyotes??

78K views 57 replies 44 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
I have been hunting a few times this year for coyotes and nothing has showed up with my predetor call,I was wondering if there are any good tricks to calling coyotes..cause I can't wait to get one..I live in eastern canada..so we have wood cuttings and lots of closed in woods to hunt from(if that helps)...thx guys

#4 ·
For me, I like a wounded rabbit call made by Olt out of Walnut. Should I use on of my Electronic calls ( I have about eight or nine) I prefer the Bandit by Minaska Outdoors, both work very well. Try setting up where two roads or more join as Coyotes are like us they like to walk the road systems while hunting. I believe that over calling is often a major problem also remember that the Coyote will be fixated on the origin of the sound of the wounded rabbit so when you move do so very slowly. I mean very slow. You can pick the higher side of the road bank or find you a brush pile to conceal your silhouette. I always wear good camouflage clothing and I honestly don't know if it helps but it can't hurt so I wear them. If your a smoker your severely at a disadvantage, even I can smell cigarette smoke from fifty to 100 yards away so take a guess how far the Coyote can smell it. Remember that the Coyote is a very agile animal and if he gets spooked can and will leave a lot faster than he comes in. I may go hunting in the next day or so to chalk up a yote or two, if I do I will take a picture or two this time. I hope this helps and good luck hunting. catfish

#8 ·
I know I might get a scolding for this, so I'll tell y'all again, I'm all for fair chase and fair chance when I'm hunting. I don't hunt from my truck, I don't even hunt from my ATV...................

However, I read an article a little while back, in the Newfoundland Sportsman magazine, about two guys, who came up with a nifty trick for getting coyotes. Basically, you hop on your snowmobile and look for crows or ravens circling an area, this will be a deer or caribou carcasse. So you ride over to inspect the carcasse, and more often than not you'll find a very fresh set of 'yote tracks leading away from it. So you follow the tracks on your snowmobile, and will uusually find that the 'yote has only run as far as the closest stand of trees, so follow the tracks, be ready, and when he bolts, nail him with either your rifle, or buckshot from a 12ga. The guys who wrote the article were getting 12 to twenty per weekend with this method.

Again, I'm all for fair chase in HUNTING, but as far as coyotes are concerned, they gave up the fair chase status when they came to "my" island and started decimating the caribou population. They drag down far more animals than they eat, and most kills that you find in the woods will be nearly untouched until the scavengers get there. The caribou population of the isalnd portion of Newfoundland has dropped from 90,000 in 1996 to approximately 37,000 currently. That's a nearly 60% loss of population, and I know it can't ALL be blamed on the coyotes, but................... in my opinion, they have to go.

Firemat, welcome aboard, good to see a maritimer here. What part of NB are you from anyway. My brother is in Fredericton now at UNB studying law, says he loves it there, way nicer than when he was at SMU in Halifax. :D

#9 ·
Let me tell ya how it's done in the sw US. (nope, further west than TX)
Ya go by the slaughterhouse and get a bucket of blood and set it upwind of a likely coyote area.

Then ya sits yourself at a spot to the side on the downwind side at about 50-60 yds and wait.

The rabbit squeals will call them in and the blood will sucker them devils right to their deaths.

Reactions: WTHines
#12 ·
As a Mopar guy I couldn't resist.
As a fellow MoPar nut...we both know the little beeper can outrun a Coyote (Camaro) any day. :D Not very good bait...and pretty expensive nowadays too.

Back to the four-legged furry yotes...
I use a howler to locate where the dogs are at. Around here, the yotes are pretty talkative and will question any reasonable sounding howl. Once you know about where they are, settle in with some rabbit squeals and they usually come running for a cheap meal. Sometimes a jackrabbit or snowshoe squeal works better than a cottontail call...depends on what you've got in your area for bunnies and how picky the yotes are.

Another thing to try is pheasant or grouse cackling. I think there are some MP3s of birds over at Varmint Al's site that you can load up in an electronic call (or MP3 player).

#13 ·
The method I have used for over 20 years with extreme success is placing a chicken in a mobile chicken pen (no roost) and placing it in an open field or along a logging trail. Place a few metal traps around the pen and attach them to the ground with concrete pins. When the coyote scout comes out hope he manages to nail a trap, if not shoot to wound the scout. When the scout is wounded the rest of the pack will slowly proceed to the wounded scout and you can pluck them off one by one. Be careful not to wound a second one (this will cause the pack to scatter), therefore your aim must be for sudden kill shots. I have taken out some rather large packs with this method, if metal jaw traps are not legal in your area, snares made from plastic coated metal cable works well to. Hope this helps you out a little although I am from the bootheel of Missouri and have frequently been called a "*******". I'm fixing to rid a pack that recently decided to take up residence on my 22 acres.

#14 ·
We use a live chicken or rabbit tied to a bush or a tree. The trick with the rabbit is to keep him moveing, so you got to be close enough to poke him with a stick and get him wigglin again. Now we have used recordings of pup squalls to brig them in too. C'yotes are real protective of their little ones so a good recording of a juvenile in distress will bring them all out in his defense.

#15 ·
Welcome Firemat, I dont have a lot of tricks for you and we cant use bait were I hunt but I have a few tips I want to share with you. Find a call you like and practice a lot!!! I like the open reed type In 2008 I bought my first digital call a Johnny Stewart works great. Howling and barking are real big right now. Another new thing I tryed this last season was a Montana Kojo coyote decoy it worked ok. When it comes to cammo dont foreget the small stuff like your face, hands, shooting sticks, binos, gun and scope. The sun glare from your face can be seen from 300-400 yds easy. When you start calling start low and go up there might be a coyote closer than you think. When your set up to call dont move I know this can be impossable but coyotes can see movment from a great distance. I like to use P.A.W.S. P-protection use as much as possible tress, brush,hay bails. A-altitude, elevation you should try to set up hight enought to see whats comeing and going. W-(and this is big) wind, if the wind is not right save that spot for a better day. S- sun always try to keep it at your back. Well thats enought for now good kuck and have fun.

#19 ·
Like Big ugly, I'll use a live chicken tied to a steak. (have used one in a cage) but tied to a steak the coyotes can see them and the chicking goes waco causing all kinds of un-wanted attention to it's self.
I also use the eletronic call. It's more about getting out and getting set up and a long waiting game. Ya have to know they are in the area first...a few nights of hearin them yappin you know what area they are in (which is true useing a chicken as well) and once thats established, get that chicken steaked and set back and keep your eyes peeled. And like ya know, sometimes ya look so hard ya literally feel like your eyes are being peeled.
Low light and when your eyes get focused, they can play tricks on ya...seems like ya are always seein something moving...after about 3-4 hours and not seeing a coyote bout drives me crazy. But after a short eye break and re-thinking I'm usually right back in the "game plan".
But over all, the live chicken works quite well in the more open. The caller, I use more back in the sticks, in the hills and rough terrain and etc.
Some might give me heck for this, but hey..a road kill deer works good for bait! My neighbors call me from time to time when they have one laying near their homes and I'll call the DNR and they will usually give me a permit to take it and if it's too far gone, they work as bait. Some may think thats bad for alot of reasons, but they get ate all the same, and usually by coyotes!

#55 ·
#21 ·
As of late and with all the coyotes "flocking" to my deer feeding area, I set up a "bait area" behing my house. Been going to the local butcher and getting lot's of scraps of beef/hogs to use for bait. When the warmer weather sets in, it's back to the fox-pro call and the hand held mouth calls. The Ki-Yi call has several sounds you can get out of it to get their attention.

#22 · (Edited)
Get a few good mouth calls and work with them. Electronic calls for the most part cause call shy dogs. Hunters with electronics often call from the seat of the truck. The coyote only falls for this one maybe one time. They can relate the repeated messages to danger. Many of the electronic calls are like fishing lures they are made to hook the buyer not the fish. The old sucking the back of the hand is still hard to beat for a closing call. A rabbit hide wraped around some wire mesh can make a good decoy. Calling is an ancient art, keep it simple.

RC

#23 ·
Digital electronic calls are great, but wind, scent and camo are all a big part of it. As for fair chase, there are far too many 'yotes in many areas, so anything legal in your area is OK by me. Other game need to survive too.

#24 ·
Digital electronic calls are great, but wind, scent and camo are all a big part of it. As for fair chase, there are far too many 'yotes in many areas, so anything legal in your area is OK by me. Other game need to survive too.
+1 one all the above! ^^^ The lwas here are 24/7 now and at night as long as you have a continuous beam of light that can be seen up to 1/4 of a mile, it's good.
Around here they started out alright and it was nice seeing them from time to time...now the rabbits, grouse, fox, groundhogs...and etc. have all but vanished! They need thinned out in a good way!

#25 ·
Here in PA we have a great hunt every year, just go to there web site and see all the info.
MOSQUITO CREEK SPORTSMAN’S ASSOCIATION, INC.
2011 COYOTE HUNT
FEB. 25-27, 2011
Registration Fee- $10 plus $10 to join club
$8.00 of each fee will be paid out to successful hunters.
$2.00 goes toward administration costs. Registrations for Membership & Coyote Hunt will be accepted in person ONLY during these times.
Membership applications and Coyote Hunt registrations may be made by mail. Forms may be copied.
Mail-in Registrations must be received no later than January 31,2011. Registrations received by mail after this date will not be processed.
Prizes for the hunt will be based on the number of qualifying coyotes brought in for official weigh-in. Prizes will be awarded at the close of the hunt. Prize payments will be mailed, taxes will be deducted and the necessary tax forms will be issued. For information, call the club at (814) 263-4510, or call Deb Collar (814) 263-4991
After results are finalized, a full report of the hunt will be posted online below. There will be absolutely no registrations after the start of the hunt.
November 20th & 21st
November 27th & 28th
December 4th & 5th
January 2nd (Sunday)
January 8th & 9th
January 22nd & 23rd
January 29th & 30th
February 12th & 13th
February 19th & 20th
Last chance to register Thursday, February 24th, 9:00 AM to 11:59 AM
Coyote registrations will ONLY be on the SPECIFIED DATES ABOVE
You may also register by mail before January 31, 2011.
Absolutely NO registrations will be taken after the start of the hunt!!!!
Please read the rules & regulations
then print & fill out the Application
Annual Coyote Hunt
MOSQUITO CREEK SPORTSMEN’S CLUB
Mosquito Creek Sportsmen's Association
P.O. Box 218
Frenchville, Pa. 16836
19 TH ANNUAL COYOTE HUNT RESULTS 2010
Devon Tarner congratulating Russel Moore of LeContes Mills, who took the first coyote of the hunt.
Registered Prize money
Hunters registered 3,695 $29,560.00
Female contestants 3,043 $ 6,086.00
Total $35,646.00
Total coyotes 143
1st Place…………..Russ Hendrickson Coyote # 73 $7,390.00
2nd Place…………..Zach Schlosser Coyote #18 $6,086.00
3rd Place…………..Lance Motter Coyote #127 $2,956.00
Each coyote……………$103
Heaviest female……….Ron Smith Jr. Coyote #17 $6,086.00
Dogs – 95
Call – 33
Sitting – 6
Driving- 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.