Whats the best way to attract coyotes??

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by firemat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

For real though we pick up a deer carcass off the road or if we shoot one throw whats left in the field and they will come into it.
  2. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

Do you happen to have a neighbor that just happens to have a tomcat that you don't really like very much ??? All you need to do is to "borrow" your neighbor's cat, put it in an old birdcage, and hang it in a tree. Pretty soon, the cat will start howling that he can't get out, and any coyotes in the area will be on their way to investigate the possibility of a free lunch. Keep in mind, that scent control can play a major factor, so be prepared. Other things that seem to work well ( if your neighbor doesn't have a cat you can use ) are bait piles. If you can add fresh bait every day or two, you can get the coyotes used to coming around to check them, and just set up on the pile. Use chicken, turkey, freezer-burnt meet of any kind, roadkill, almost anything that stinks. I like to use all of these things. Just make sure that your night-vision scope has fresh batteries, and is sighted in... Later on, when there's a bit of snow, you won't need night-vision. ENJOY !
  3. al45lc

al45lc New Member

On this note, I live around a Prairie Dog habitat, and this year I've found two cat heads and one dog's head, complete with collar, in the P.D. town.
    I've seen one 'yote that looks as big as a small German Shepherd, and very well fed. They've become quite brazen, actually following me while I walked my Rat Terrier along the creek.
    My Rat Terrier is fairly smart, he sticks with me when they're around.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Whats the best way to attract coyotes??

um...Have you tried wearing a really short skirt?:lmao:
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, I just read the title and skipped all posts and went straight to this:

have chickens! they will show up all the time, trust me...

now I'll go back and read the thread...
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'll have to try the nasal spray bottle trick, that's awesome. I've got a couple predator calls I've been trying out for bear but figured they would more likely attract yotes as there's more of them.

Ran right up on one walking quietly this week, got within 20' of him, nice size one but he vanished into the ferns within a second. Not sure I'd take a shot at one unless I was really bored though, got no use for them. Enough show up to rob the chicken coop, catch them usually in the mornings at first light. Boom goes the shotgun out the bedroom window!

the neighbors love that I'm sure... wake up time! bang bang bang bang...

sorry folks, coyote...
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Just happened to run across this by accident on ebay, then remembered this thread. Maybe this will do the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Primos-...648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a2d3a658

$(KGrHqN,!icFB)eozsToBQeIZzK00w~~60_12.JPG Price:
    US $5.99

BRAND NEW IN PACKAGE!

Manufacturer's Warranty!
    The Mouse Squeeze is so simple to operate that anyone can use it on their first try. Because you never blow on it, there-Feets no moisture to freeze it up. It is very effective when predators are at a close range and need a little more coaxing to close the deal. You will be glad you have this easy-to-use call on your next hunt.

Features:

FREEZEPROOF!
    Easiest call ever! Just pick it up and squeeze
    Great close-range coaxer
    Requires minimal hand movement
    Model: 304
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  8. savage170

savage170 Member

I just steal the dogs squeak toy works pretty good when they get wary of the stressed rabbit call
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

simple

cut one corrupt politician into 2" pieces and spread around ,

if no coyotes come its still a good thing
    rawright54 likes this.
  10. newfie

newfie New Member

Just got back from the cabin and found a dead moose killed by coyotes...cleaned to the bones and now eating the bones.What is the best time of day to call coyotes morning or evening?
  11. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Both mornings and evenings worked equally well for me. It just matters if they are within earshot or not.
  12. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I do not hunt coyotes (there are all over up here) but IMO.
    I would just get a anti gun democrat chain him in the middle of a field and sit back and wait.
    I am sure all his squealing will bring them in.:eek:
    Mike
    Zane71464 likes this.
  13. stev32k

stev32k Member

When I hunted coyotes the best bait by far was a live chicken that had one leg tied to a stake. We put another string around his neck and sat in a blind with the string in hand. Every so oven pull the string around the chicken's neck to make him squawk and flap his wings. The only problem was that the chicken would attract dogs, cats, pigs, hawks, bobcats, and raccoons. Seems like every animal in the world likes a fresh chicken.
  14. SilasW

SilasW Member

Using live bait or live decoys here in MO will land you in jail if caught. The rabbit squall works but you can educate them in a hurry if you let them get away from you one time. Seems every spring turkey season I have coyotes come in to a turkey call looking for a turkey dinner. I hunt them for the fur, but if they come in during the spring I'll kill them too. Rabbit eatin' #*)^@!'s
    Zane71464 likes this.
  15. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks! I suppose this might be considered advertising by some, since the author is selling calls, but I appreciate anything that's free, and he isn't at all pushy about it.
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

The book it's self might be a good thing/knowledgeable to have but I never did buy the "guide".
    I did however sign up for the emails and the 1st one was good info for starters. However, after that my inbox was getting stuffed up on "things to buy" I unsubscribed.
  17. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Just on a side note, my neighbor has chickens and guinea hens. Our back yards are up against a state wildlife area. Last night at midnight the guineas exploded in cackling (or what ever you call the god awful noise they make). After about 10 minutes I heard what sounded like a .22.

Rest in peace Br'er Fox. :rolleyes:
    hstout1143 likes this.