What's the deal with MidwayUSA?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gobble, Jan 1, 2009.

1. gobble

gobble New Member

I was told to buy supplies from Midway USA. I look at their website and they don't even have something simple like small rifle primers. Every single primer they list is "out of stock, no backorder". Does anyone know what is up with them? Where else to buy with the best prices?
  2. DKA

DKA New Member

Graf & Sons, and they pay for shipping.
  3. oneounceload

oneounceload New Member

unless you're buying in bulk quantities, try your local gun shop - the hazmat fees get ridiculous otherwise; or go in on a bulk buy with friends - they;ll usually ship 25,000 for a single fee
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

thanks to the pres elect for your problems finding reloading components. if you havent heard there is talk about primers that only last 6 months. There is a company that has applied for the patient. If the officials have their way your bullets will be coded also in the future. Primers and components are hard to find. It took me two weeks constantly checking for small rifle primers before I found some and Midway sold out in no time.

here are some other sites you can try.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

http://www.tntreloading.com/

http://e-reloading.com/
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Midway irritates me as well. Try www.natchezss.com
    Natchezss.com is usually less expensive than Midway, and they actually keep their merchandise stocked.

There is no getting around the 20.00 hazmat fee. It is as rediculous as it is stupid. There is no hazmat fee when you buy loaded ammo, but if you take the ammo apart you have to pay a 20.00 hazmat fee.....total insanity. If you purchase black powder, you have to pay a seperate 20.00 hazmat fee, so you end up paying an extra $40.00 in hazmat fees if you buy 209 primers and a can of black powder in the same order.

You might try one of the popular gun auction sites when you are shopping for primers and/or powder. Sometimes you can find individuals who run a business out of their home and do not charge the rediculous hazmat fees.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Another choice is to find a gun show. You could drive 100 miles for what it would cost you to ship and pay for hazmat fees.
  7. oneounceload

oneounceload New Member

The hazmat fee is charged by the carrier, not the seller.

vendors will ship up to 25,000 primers and 2-8# powder jugs for one hazmat fee in a single box
  8. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Midway p----d me off and I stopped using them. For 6 months they kept advertising a bullet I wanted (in their flier), but each time I went to their website to order, they said they were out of stock and not taking back orders. I sent them an email asking why they continued to advertise something they never had in stock - but my email was never answered. Graf & Sons took care of the problem.

I think Midway may be going through some growing pains as they appear to be out-of-touch. Too bad, they once were quite good.
  9. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

They've been pissing me off for about a year now, so I don't blame this one on Obama. I've had very good luck with midsouth. And, believe it or not (I thought they'd be expensive) Cabela's is reasonable if you get their card-you get $20 off a hundo or $30 off a hundo and a half, plus they ship lightning fast.
  10. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

Midway is terrible when it comes to shipping. You order a bunch of stuff, half of it is on back order. An item comes in, they ship it and charge you $6 or $7. Next item comes in, same thing, and that is on items that are only $4 or $5!

I quite using them.
  11. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

This is just the beginning boys !!! We're really in for it. :mad::mad::mad:
  12. ms6852

ms6852 Member

I ordered 4 magazines from brownells because midway had theirs on backorder. Glad I bought the mags for my 513T from brownells because it turned out to be $11.00 plus change per mag. Overall I saved about 10 bucks. I also ordered 2 ammo box holders from cheaper than dirt because theirs was $14 and change per box and Cheaper than dirt had them for $9.99. I asked them to match the price they had with those of Cheaper than dirt and Midway refused to do so. I ended up saving another 12 bucks in shipping and merchandise.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

supply is drying up fellas, demand has far exceeded supply, buy what you can find and afford now. we cant keep ARs or AKs in the gun shop, any thing para-military is selling like hot cakes, and reloading components have become hot as well. ammo is being sold by the case, firearms are being purchased in bulk by individual customers, prices are increasing almost daily, and its only getting worse. we are on the eve of another, more elaborate assault weapons ban, which is quite possible to include a 'forceful surrender' of anything covered by the ban. I believe it is said best in the signature of one of our own on this forum: "if it is time to bury them, then it is time to dig them up"
  14. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Sounds like PANIC is setting in, I've seen this happen several times over the years, and the real problem is US, we are creating the shortage by over buying, We all need to take a deep breath and relax a little bit.
    Midway USA is no different than any other supplier, and most Company's try to run there inventory down as much as they can at the end of the year, to avoid inventory TAXES, so relax don't over buy, and give these company's that have been good to us all these years a chance to restock.. just my .02 cents worth

tEN wOLVES
  15. Old Sarge

Old Sarge New Member

I have purchased 90% of my re-loading supplies from Midway. I have to agree, when something gets back-ordered, they'll charge you a separate shipping fee. Another gripe,is they have a $25 minimum order. If your order is less than $25, you pay an extra fee. That coupled with the shipping fee makes it hard to swallow.
    On the other hand, I phone in my order, and within hours, I'll get an e-mail telling me it is being shipped at that moment, and I do get the order within a few days. Great service, growing pains, due to all the high demands, placed on us by the Prez Elect, I think. Just MHO