Whats the deal with new Winchester 1892's?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The Count, Aug 21, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

Even my trusty gun shop owner was surprised when i told him i have been seeing Winchester 1892's in various calibers new in box for around $1,000 on *********. i also thought winchester went belly up a few years ago... whats the quality of these new rifles? worth buying or the same as a $450 Rossi????
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Winchester did not go belly-up. The plant in Connecticut, that licensed the name to put on their lever rifles, bolt rifles and auto shotguns, went belly-up. Winchester is owned by the same people that own Browning - The Herstal Group.

Winchester 86s, 92s and 95s are made in Japan, by Miroku. What most people consider the best copy of the 92 floating around, the Browning 92, was made by Miroku. They've been in the gun business for over a hundred years, and are supposed to be pretty good guns.

The new Winchester 92s have rebounding hammers and tang safeties. Neither of which is required for safe use of the gun, but is required for the "we don't wanna be sued" mentality.

In my opinion, if you bought a 450 dollar Rossi, and spent another 150 bucks with Steve Young, you'd have 600 bucks in a gun that was much better than the 1000 dollar Winchester. But, if/when you tried to sell it, you couldn't get your money out of it. People will pay more for the Winchester because it says "Winchester" on it.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The Japanese Brownings and Winchester are excellent guns. I have several levers made by them. They have excellent fit and finish and are accurate and reliable. If you want a 92 that is brand new the Winchester is a very good choice and a better choice than any of the Brazilian or Italian clones. A used Miroku made Browning is the best you can do, in my opinion. They are much better finished than even a real earlier Winchester and certainly a match to the Winchesters in all other aspects.

On the used market you have several Browning choice of these 92 based guns in several different calibers. There was the 92 in 357 and 44 Mag. There was the Model 53 (just a 92 in a different caliber) in 32-20. Then there was the Model 65 (again just a 92 in a different caliber) in .218 Bee. Some versions came in grades that included some machine engraving, gold triggers, and other niceties, none of which are necessary for a shooter gun. The pricing should be better than a used real Winchester. Both the Winchester and the Browning hold their value much better than any Brazilian or Italian clone with the Winchesters the best way to hedge inflation.

LDBennett
  4. The Count

The Count New Member

so are all NIB Winchesters actually made by Miroku or how do you make sure?
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The Count:

Winchester dropped the Model 92 after WWII or there abouts. Any "new" Winchester 92 you find will be Japanese made. If you find a new-in-the-box Winchester 92 that obviously is 50 years old, it is worth a fortune to collectors because at this point in time that would be extremely rare.

Winchester started marketing the Model 92 again just a couple of years ago. It is the Japanese version. In the 80's Browning went to Japan for the Models 78, 85, 86, 92, 53, 65, and 95 as well as the ATD in 22. I have several of these and they are beautifully made with excellent fit and finish (deep polished blue) with very good wood too. I often find these at Gun Shows new-in-the-box. The Winchester 92 is the Japanese version of the 92 but with a brushed or matt blue, more like the originals.

LDBennett
  6. MILGUY

MILGUY New Member

I Am New to this Forum but I Was Reading up on the Winchester 92 Made by Miruko, Well They Work Great, I Wish it Was USA Made, it Breaks My Heart, Anyway My Records Show That the Following Models Are Being Made or Have Been Made, this Is for Real, Model 1886, 92, 94, 95 and 71, Hope this Helps, as I Said 92 Works Great but I Am Always Dis Appointed When I See Japan on It, Milguy