The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the difference in a Mossberg 42M and a 42Mb?

13K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kecoutt 
#1 ·
I just bought the Mossberg42M from jjl6008 off of our Buy/sell/trade forum the other day.I hope it works out OK. It should reach my FFL dealer tomorrow.I don't really know what to expect.I tried to research the 42M and usually find the 42Mb.I think the difference is the "b" designation is a Lend-Lease rifle sent to Britian.But I'm not for sure.I would appreciatte any information anyone may have.It's my first "old generation" Mossberg. I own a 640KD Chuckster but it's much more modern than what I just bought. Thanks......Joe

#3 ·
Thanks Mac,I have so many questions.Some will be answered when I actually see and hold it.One is it's imperative with my eyesight I'll need to mount a scope.I asked a lot of questions before I bought it,one specifically being,"is it drilled and tapped on the left side of the reciever for the side scope mount?"From the best I could determine from him is yes,I hope they're factory done but I don't know if they factory did them on this model.At first I think he thought I meant the 2 holes where the missing peeps go.But I think I got him referenced to the 2 holes further up the reciever that I was hoping for.I guess I'll have to wait till I get it to know for sure.I hope I haven't bought something that I can't make useable for me. Thanks Joe

#4 ·
Chances are it's tapped for one of Weaver's 'N' side mounts. If memory serves me they ran N1 through N5, with the primary difference (I think) being height. Not sure where you'd find an N mount and rings these days, but Numrich and Ebay are probably good bets.

#7 ·
Thanks guys.I saw the side mounts on Havlin's site but I wasn't aware of different contours and hole spacing depending on mdls.I have a lot yet to learn on this gun.Thanks. Joe

#8 ·
https://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm This mount states that it should fit the 42M.But I don't know for sure.I'll have to call them probably.Sorry, I had to copy the whole page,not just the scope mount.It's about a third-way down the page. Thanks Joe

#9 ·
The old "N" mounts are only for the early small diameter scopes. Won't work with a modern one inch tube scope.
Havlin's does have a mount to fit the one inch scopes, that uses the peep sight holes on the left rear of the receiver. Also, check the trigger guard - they are often warped with age. They are on all my old vintage Mossies. Havlin's has a new aluminum TG that replaces the old and will hold it's shape.
I also have the M42M, and it's my most accurate Mossberg twentytwo. I keep a vintage Marble-Goss peep sight on it, with a globe front sight. Not original but it sure works fine!

Reactions: accident
#10 ·
A lot of times the 'B' designation was a slight change in the external parts of the gun, as noted previously by the change in the sights. I have a Mossberg 151m-b and really the only difference between it and the 151m was the change to a black plastic butt plate on the stock, verses the metal one found on the 151m....other then that....same rifle

#11 ·
A 42M was the first gun I bought when I was 12, for $35 in 1962. I 'sporterized' it by losing the front wood and tapering the stock down, and mounted a sling swivel in the mag tube and put a military type sling on. It came with the side mount for the 3/4" scope. I eventually upgraded the 4x scope with a 3-6x variable and I can tell that it was/is a straight shooting gun, a real tack driver. I took some squirrels with that thing at some amazing distances. I made head shots at 75yds. For practice I would put a roofing nail in a fence board at 50yds and try to hit it, and I would. I learned more about precision shooting with that gun than with anything I've had since. I believe it had an adjustable trigger. I still have the gun but the release 'notch' or whatever it has on the bolt is rounded off such that it is unsafe to shoot and it seems that the bolt cannot be taken apart. A local gunsmith tried and buggered it up so he just set the trigger at about 10# as a cure... which is NOT a cure. I always kept it at a couple of lbs and loved it. I also have a 151K that is also a very straight shooter for a .22 and I'm told sought after as a .22 steel match shooting gun. You have a good gun there. I really like the ones that come in the military configuration with the target sights. They really are a great training gun for beginners who want to become true 'rifleman' and learn how to shoot iron sights before they go to the dark side of scopes....

#15 ·
They list trigger guards about halfway down, for many models. These may not be the aluminum types, those may have been discontinued?

Reactions: accident
#16 ·
I tried off and on all day to get through to Havlin's.It was busy each time.I'll try again tomorrow.I want to order a scope mount,safety buttons,a hood for a S101 ft sight,and a "re-pop" triggergaurd. (I'm pretty sure for $18 the gaurd will be plastic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.