1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What's the difference in a primer.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/9/02 2:25:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What's the difference in a primer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Would someone please tell me the diffference ina Bench rest small rifle primer and a small rifle primer. The bench rest were on sale for $10.00 a 1000 when Meantome went to the shootetrs supply for me!
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 10:20:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What's the difference in a primer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BUY! BUY! BUY!

Supposedly, the big difference between benchrest and standard primers is that the benchrest jobbies are manufactured to closer tolerances and more careful inspection than standard primers are.

There's lots of folks that question that, though, and think it is more of a marketing strategy than fact. The major difference I can detect is the benchrest variety normally have a tiny "B" stamped on the cup. My chronograph can detect no difference in performance between the two types.

When I'm loading and striving for THE perfect rounds, I'll seat the benchrest primers, then bask in self admiration when viewing the pretty handloads, all with their little "B"'s looking up at me!

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 12:37:19 am)
    What Ken said...again in spades....Buy ,Buy,Buy.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/10/02 9:55:23 am)
    Thanks Guys, I lied! They were $10.75 a 1000

BlackGUN

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/10/02 12:28:48 pm)
    $10.75 a 1000???????? BG, buy 5000 and I will take the other 4000 off your hands at 12.00 a 1000. I might even drive to the HOU area to pick them up. That is an unbelievable price!!!!!! OJIH.

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/10/02 10:46:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del primer
    BG, buy 25000, and I will buy the rest from you for 15 a thousand.

loader44.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 11:28:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: primer
    loader - Hondo gets his first. BG - I think maybe you'd better buy the store out.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/11/02 10:21:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: primer
    It's 9:20 A.M. I just called Meantome andf told her to go back this afternoon and buy all they had. Up to 25000. I'll let you know when she gets in this afternoon.

By the way the other primers were $15.97 a 1000

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/11/02 10:26:03 am

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/02 2:12:53 am)
    Good prices for any primers, I'm routinely paying $16-17 for winchester pistol primers, here in L.A.

And I agree with the above, never got an appreciable difference on my chronograph, whatever manf I used. - now using up a dozen rifle primers I left in my Dillon 550B on .45ACP was a bit of a surprise...

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/02 10:31:06 am)
    My picture looks like $10.75 / 100, or are 9 attached boxes missing?

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/02 11:44:50 am)
    They were $10.75 a 1000 and she went back and bought the last 2000 they had. I asked her how many boxes were on the shelf when she made the initial purchase. She had no idea, a cleck handed her the box of 1000. That was my initial question, I thought she may had bought the wrong thing. If only I would have known when she first went for me (sigh)

BlackGUN

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/18/02 1:27:08 pm)
    RATS!!!!#%$?%%razzle/frazzle%%&#sonofa#%&@----------
    That price was less than what I am able to buy WHOLESALE!!
    Oh well--some days you win and some days its better to stay in bed. IMHO.
    Ol' John in Hondo.

jbbooks
    (2/24/02 11:13:05 pm)
    Yeah, Galyan's mismarked some .22's here in KC when they opened. They were selling a Brick for the price of one box of 50. My buddy bought all he wanted and told me about it a day later. By the time I got there they were sold out. Dang it I would have bought all they had if I'd only known. Talk about a day late and a dollar short.