What's the difference?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gun Geezer, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's, when I lived in Illinois, I purchased a NIB Interarms version of the Walther PPK in stainless steel. It was a real safe queen and never fired until a couple of months ago when I put one mag. through her.
    Lately, I have seen multiple postings regarding PPK's and PPK/S's. What's the difference? Are the PPK's worth more or less or the same as PPK/S's. Are the Interarms version worth more or less or the same as other versions?
    I originally purchased the gun hoping Illinois would make CC legal. Not! Since moving to FL., and getting my CCP, I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT mainly because it's smaller and lighter.
    I have had a recent craving for a Glock 30SF that the doctor's can't seem to do a thing about. My wife says it's either her or the Glock. I'm too old to retrain another wife. Do you guys think I should sell the PPK? What could I realistically expect to get for it? I would say it has to be 100%.:eek:
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What's the difference? Company that made it, mostly.

Pre-WW2 was German-made PPK, made by Walther. Post-WW2 is French-made. I don't know if the peace treaty forbad Germany from making guns (like the one ending WW1) or if it was because the Walther plant was now in East Germany. The guns were made by Manurhin. Some were assembled by them, and marked "Made in France", and sold as Manurhins. Some were shipped, as parts, to Germany where they were assembled by Walther. Since the parts weren't made in Germany, they did not violate any treaty, but they could mark them Walther and "Made in West Germany".

Gun Control Act of 1968 banned importation of many excellent guns by using size as a reason to forbid them. PPK was too small to come in. The PP, having a larger frame and holding one more round, was large enough to be imported. So Walther took a PPK barrel and slide and mounted it on a PP frame. This was large enough to import. It is the PPK/S. That, depending on who you ask, meant "PPK/States", "PPK/Special", or my personal favorite, "PPK/Stupid". Interarms was the importer of Walther pistols.

Later Interarms got permission from Walther to make the guns. Since they were being made in the US - not imported - they did not have to adhere to the stupid "Import Size Requirement", and Interarms made PPKs (they also made PPK/Ss, for some strange reason).

Nowadays, S&W is the official Walther US rep. They make the Walthers, now. And from what I hear, they aren't doing a good job of it.

In terms of desirability, and therefore value, people want the pre-wars (because they are REAL Walthers), then the post-war pre-GCA German-marked guns because most people think they are REAL Walthers, even though they aren't. The Interarms and the French-marked guns are next, because even though they are not REAL Walthers, they are usually good guns. The least desirable are the S&Ws, because, as I said, they have been having problems with them.

I, personally, don't see why anyone with a choice would buy a PPK/S. If you want the larger gun with more capacity, get a PP. If you want a smaller, concealable gun, get a PPK. But that damn hermaphrodite PPK/S is neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat, and the only purpose it has is to beat a law. It's like buying an AK47 with a thumbhole stock and a ten-round magazine. Why, when you can get the real thing?

12 or 13 years ago, I bought my PPK. Stainless Interarms. I've been quite happy with it. Paid, if my memory is good, 400, used.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, there are advantages to the PPK/S, including eliminating the fragile wrap-around PPK grips. If it were not due to a stupid law, the gun would not seem so stupid.

But in the interim after '68 and before U.S. manufacture began, the buyer had a choice between the PP and the PPK/S; the PPK was not available escept for limited importation for law enforcement. Arguing that the PPK/S had no role is like saying a snub revolver has no reason to exist and everyone should use a 4" barrel.

BTW, Interarms had problems with their product also; ejector failure was quite common (the part was cast, vs. milled in the original) and feeding with .380 was not always reliable.

Jim
  4. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Well, I have both a PPK and a PPK/S in 9mm kurtz and I tend to enjoy shooting the PPK/S more because of the larger grip area. Both are the quality that one should expect from the German Co. Walther!

Denny G.
  5. steve666

steve666 New Member

Simple answer about the PPK and PPK/S is that the PPK/S is a PPK slide on the larger PP grip frame. There are both Interarms and Smith & Wesson mfg. the major difference between the two has to do with the grips not being interchangable.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

They were also manufactured by Manurthin ( for Walther ) and Walther produced the PPK/S themself in 1989.