Whats the longest shot you made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunguy25, Sep 18, 2010.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

I just had this question in my mind today. Whats the longest shot that you guys have made, with either hand gun or rifle and if you was using open sights or a scope, and what kind of rifle/hand gun and the caliber your used.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i hit a 6 inch steel plate with my smith 642 38 snubby at 65 yards a while back.

i have on occasion hit coke cans at 100 yards with a handgun. sometimes a glock sometimes a 22

i hit a uhm.. bird (bird the size of a buzzard) off a fence post with my 642 38 using +p's at 125 paces.

i shot and killed a rottweiler that was on the run with a ruger blackhawk 357 magnum, distance was 65 paces.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Forty yards on the rifle range with my Springfield Loaded 1911 using a Winchester White-Box 230gr FMJ. Landed two hits out of two 8-round magazines.
  4. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

187 yards in an open field on a 8 point whitetail deer. The deer dropped instantly. I was actually aiming for a neck shot and the deer turned and looked toward me at the instant of the shot. The shot hit the deer in the right nostril and that sure did mess his mind up. (brains were mush) but did not interfere with the mount of the head. It is hanging in my garage as I type. This deer was killed in 1990 in West Tennessee with a .308. The gun was a Model 100 auto Winchester with a fixed 4 power scope with a 3 min dot custom installed in the cross hair of the scope.
    And that is about the longest kill shot I have ever made, or will ever make since I do not hunt much any more.
    Hey, that was a great kill. I have several larger White Tail hanging on my wall but that one is special because of the distance. Most of the others were under 80 yards, nothing to talk about as far as distance.
    Carl
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I have a rifle range on my place that was supposed to be 1000 yards but after we finished someone showed up with a laser and it is actually 940 yards

To shoot at extreme ranges we use fixed power Leopold scopes (12x) I was using a .300 Win Mag until I gave it to my son.
    Beyond 700 yards a 308 drops about 1 inch per yard. I normally don't shoot the .308 beyond 700 yards
    I have a friend who works at a company that makes log trailers. They give him the leftover flat steel plates(actually sell at their cost) He makes swinging gongs hung from chains.
    There is about a two to three second lag time from the shot until the hit is heard on the gongs. We paint the gongs before shooting and the bullet strikes are visible thru a spotting scope
    Also have some sheep, pig, turkey and chicken sillouttes at various ranges from 500 to 940 yards
    This is a sport for a calm day. The wind really can play tricks at extreme ranges
  6. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

100yrds. That's the longest range I can get that doesn't require an annual membership.

Handgun, 25yrds is the longest I can shoot and hit, 10 being ideal.
    Rifle, 50-100yrds is the longest I can shoot and hit something.
    Shotgun, 25-50yrds.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

While this kind of question is fun, it is open for abuse. As an example I once shot into a flock of about 500 geese sitting in my alfalfa field from around 600 yards away with a 44 mag S&W hand gun and hit one. Of course I told the guy standing next to me that was the one I was amming at. From my experience when shooting past 500 yards even with something that will drive a 100 grian plus bullet at over 3000 fps, luck starts to come into play and skill starts to die off. At ranges approaching a 1000 yards windage is more of an issue than elevation to the guy who knows his rifle and the actual distance. My own criteria for skill is 5 out 5 hits in a 12" circle. When you start missing, it is luck when you hit it.
    Ron
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. Redhand

Redhand Member

Well, I shot a 168 out of 200 at a KD range at Quantico,Va. at a 1,000 yds. with open sights.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum, 135 yards in New Mexico, first deer.

Pigeon off top of cupola on barn with Savage single shot 22 rifle 150 yards offhand with my last bullet of the day. That one was pure dumb luck or it was that pigeons time to die.

1000 yard targets with Match M1 Garand in .308.

All shots made with iron sights.
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

1) 300 yards with a 357mag at a 8 x 12 inch steel target Used the stock iron sights.

2) My best rifle shot, (not my longest,) was a 30-30 Winchester shooting 550 yards at a 3 inch triangle, one shot one kill. I was using a Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical scope. Lots of luck involved in that, I am confident that I would have hit within an 8 inch circle if I would have kept shooting though.

3) My longest was 600 yards using my Howa 1500 30-06 at an eight inch paper plate. Using the Nikko Stirling scope that came with it. Nothing much to that one really, I was trying to get my zero at that range and it took me a quite few shots... it wasn't until I viewed the video later that I found that I was hitting the tips of the tree tops I thought I was shooting over making me second guess some of my scope adjustments. :p

When the crops are harvested I'll have longer distances to shoot at again, hopefully I'll shoot better and further this winter.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Way back when I was a bunch younger, I used to be on an Army marksmanship team and we regularly shot at 600 meters. I would have to say that was my longest shooting distance.

I can barely see that distance any more. Every time I do go rifle shooting, I have to choose between seeing the front sight or the target, cause I can't see both.
  12. 5string

5string New Member

330yd with 22-250, couple of skunks. harris bipod , bushnell or tasco scope cant remember which one i had on it at the time.
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Do I have to hit anything to qualify?

500 meters 40 yrs ago when I was in the US Army. Human silhoet targets.
  14. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Good shooting guys . I have only shot at a 100 yard range with my marlin model 60 open sights , i dont really know a place around here where i could shoot longer then that.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Rifle = 250 yards, iron sights, with a finn M39 all five shots within a 4 inch diamond... Winchester brass, 200 grain cast lead sized .311, over 31.9 grains reloder 7.

Handgun = 200 yds, 18"X24" steel plate, with a 1911 .45ACP. some hits some misses, I average every other shot a hit... winchester brass, 228 gr cast bullet over 5.4 grains W231.

Compound bow = 40 yds, 3" flourescent yellow sticky on my gamewinner target bag, 12 arrows on the same sticky, some shafts were dented from being hit with other arrows (ruined the arrow shaft), and I hit some of the arrows head on destroying the nock and the shaft:(, ill never shoot the same target twice with this bow, these dang arrows are 11 bucks a pop... Hoyt fastflite (circa 1995) 90 lb. pull, carbon express 29" aluminum shafts, 100 gr. field points, NAP quickfletch quickspinST speedhunter Vanes, Truglo 5 pin hi Viz sight with spirits level and a whisker biscuit rest. Bohning peep and a Allen hair trigger wrist release.
  16. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

A long time ago, 20 shots at 1000 yards (not meters) dating myself. M-1, Iron sights. don't recall score but I got a few in the black and about 10 hit the target. That is a mighty small spot siting on the front sight. Would love to be able to do that again but don't know anywhere to get in that kind of shooting close to home. Wonder if this old dog could actually get a bunch of hits in the black at that range with iron sites.

Would like to be able to get in some 200 yard shooting with a revolver but I'm no Elmer Keith. Looking forward o a 200 yard berm. Thought I might get it this year but that is not in the cards at this time. Have 25 and 50 yards.

Don't think I ever shot anything over 50 yards. Just targets now.
  17. 199er

199er New Member

The farthest I've shot was in Basic Tng and Infantry AIT in 1966. It was at human silhouettes at 500 meters with an open sighted M14 and nowadays I'm not sure I can even see that far.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  18. zb338

zb338 New Member

I shot a red helmet liner at 500 yds with an M-1 Garand on a bet. Shot a
    woodchuck at 600 with a .264 Winchester Mag.

Zeke
  19. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Went to Wyoming on a varmint shoot and made many shots on prairie dogs between 350 and 400 yards. The longest shot was at around 480 yards. We took some shots at around 650 to 700 yards, but didn't make any hits, just made a few dance.

The longer shots were all taken with a custom built 25-06 shooting 85 grain Nosler balistic tips.
  20. wpage

wpage New Member

Years ago at the West Point Range 300 meters with the M1 Garand into the Army target all day...