Whats the most powerful scope?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Oct 22, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The military does indeed train with .308s. Rem 700s (M24) to be exact. The marine snipers usually get issued M40A1s or A5s, which is also a Rem 700 in a chassis system much like the AICS chassis, the A5 is a 20 " version of the 25" A1. Army uses the Rem 700 (M24), which is a McMillain or HS precision stocked heavy barreld rem 700, Navy uses the M14EBR (enhanced battel rifle version of the M14) and also M24s.

Long range sniper teams also use the M107 barrett .50 cal, the .416 barrett, The CheyTac platform, and the AICS .338 Lapua magnum. Scopes range from fixed 10X leupolds to variable power Nightforce optics up to 24X. All with mildot reticles. They think in Milradians, not MOA.. its the same but different.

Get you a good 4.5-14X or 6-18X, mildot reticle and start practicing and researching. You will learn the game very quickly and you can decide for yourself if you need more glass once you gain some experience. And do yourself a favor and put wehatever scope you decide on in a good mount. I am fond of the DNZ gamereaper mounts, and they do come in std and with MOA cant built in. Ask yourself what range you want to shoot and order accordingly. I personally would just get the MOA cant base. it still allows you to shoot 100 yds. just puts zero down on the bottom of the elevation adjustment so you have it all for shooting extended ranges.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I;m not sure what your point is. Gun Runner stated that he wanted a scope made in the USA, I stated that Sightron was not. Personally, I have 3 Sigtron scopes and any scopes I plan on purchasing in the future will be Sightrons, so you don't have to tell me about their quality, I already know.
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

rcairflr I did not ask your for a your damded opinion. GR can allways just ignore it right
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

He could ignore both of you, so keep it clean. OP stated in a later post he was looking for U.S. made, rcairflr stated his favorite brand, Sightrons, isn't U.S. made, it's Japanese made, which the OP might not want. No one made an opinion, only a statement.
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

OH you to now. Well whats your choice for a american made and owned company. Don't try to scold me with out some practical advise. Yea guess you can also be ignord. Well don't look to leupold ether as all american. They now also assembly in asia and there newer redfield line is made in china. Burris ?? Nope makeing scope also in the phillipines too.

Swift with 90 years n america is now building in south korea. May not be any all american scopes.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

march scopes are hand made by 1 of 4 japanese optical engineers. they are extremely high quality scopes. how many here have had hands on with them. I have at SHOT i spent over an hour at the Kelbly/ Denon optics booth talking shop with these guys. They had 1 of every scope March makes and I spent time behind every one of them.

Currently i know of three brands made in the usa. Leupold, US Optics, Premier Reticles. I watched a guy drive 16 penny nails with a PR scope and it hardly scratched the paint.
  7. cutter

cutter New Member

I have a Nikko Sterling 10-50x X60mm that I would sell. Too big for me
  8. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you two are gonna force me to lock this thread... :mad:
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

I said my piece on the matter, I'll say no more. I'll say, though, is take it outside.
  11. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

Deleted
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do agree with the deleted post above RC. Yall were, right up to your post #28.

Yall agree to disagree and move on. It is better than the alternative, trust me.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Lets keep this on a more serious level boys. GR asked a serious question and he deserves a serious answer.
    Gunrunner, Hubble is a pretty good scope but I donk know if it can be mounted on your rail. Call Nasa and ask. Seriously.:rolleyes::D
  14. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks for the information everybody, oh yeah I dont care about the debating over here as long as Im not involved:D
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thats cool how you can delete someones post and then it says edited by JLA :D
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not really.. I hate doing it. Makes me feel like a baby sitter.