Whats the proper sight picture for a Henry Big Boy Rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The Count, Jun 13, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

I just got my first lever action rifle, a Henry Big Boy in 357.

Strange thing is the Henry user manual is poor. They do not have any illustrations on field stripping nor what the proper sight picture for this gun is supposed to be. Can anybody help with this?
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i do not strip down lever guns unless i purchased one that is extreemely dirty.i generally just cock lever down and blow out with air pressure any loose dirt or powder and then lightly oil.i use a bore snake on bore.sight picture can be anyway you want it,i adjust mine for the bead to just slightly be above rear sight notch.you may prefere different.i hope this helps....old semperfi
  3. The Count

The Count New Member

thanks for the feedback. i actually called henry and they also said the sight picture can be anything you want, which kinda threw me off cause every other gun manual i have has a picture with the 'right' one :)
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Most people develop a sight picture that suits them the best. As an Oklahoma Hunter Ed Instructor we teach the "6 o'clock hold", which is the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight and the bullseye set on top of the front sight. Many people prefer a "center hold", which has the sights aligned the same way but the top of the front sight in the center of the bullseye.

I prefer the "6 o'clock hold" as it allows me to see more of the target.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Proper sight picture is whatever you want it to be.

When I let someone shoot my rifle I tell them, "Pretend the front sight bead is a ball and the rear sight is a cup. If you place the ball in the cup it rolls to the center bottom." Then I tell them where to aim according to distance.

I do it that way because I can tell just where everything goes the best; that may not work for you.