Whats up with savage 340.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by josh, Nov 5, 2004.

1. josh

josh New Member

What is the story on these rifles? I have seen a bunch of them really reasonable. I was considering buying one local in 222 and one in 30-30 but my grandad,who has had more guns than most dealers around here, says stay away from them. Is he just getting senial or are they a weak action? He claims he would be afraid of max loads with the 222 or the 30-30 one.
    He is undoubtedly biased as he swears by the 788 remington.
    What do you guys think inexpensive decent rifle or trash?
  2. Dan70

Dan70 Member

I used to have one in 222 and currently have a 30-30. Have only shot factory ammo in both. Never had any problems or heard of any with these rifles.
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

The 340 is not a real pretty rifle, compared to the competition, but usually (at least, all but one I've owner) shoots well enough to hunt, or plink with.
    Savage subscribes to SAAMI guidelines as to chamber dimensions, etc, and will shoot anything on the market with respect to pressures.
    If I wanted a bolt gun in 30-30, this is one of only a couple available. Remington chambered the 788, I think, for the caliber some time ago, but you can buy TWO Savages for the same money it now brings.
    It can't be too bad a rifle, since it was built for 35 years! (1950-1985)
    Enjoy it!
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    The Savage 340 (as well as the Stevens models) are stronger than a Marlin or Winchester lever action. They are also theoreticly more accurate being a bolt action. For best accuracy in the .30-30, reload them with pointed bullets (just remember not to use these in a lever action!). Sounds like your grandad was the victim of some of the old wive's tales floating around back in the '30's and '40's.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Savage in general? Or just the 340?

I've shot mucho hot loads in a Savage 111 in 25-06 for several years now, with zero complaints/setbacks, I also bought a Savage 111 7 Mag knowing the bolt assembly had a cracked/chiped front baffle, I continued shooting it that way for awhile before sending it to the Mfr for a free replacement....That was the only "problem" I've had with either rifle.

I cant comment on the 340, but Savage in general has been good to me.

~Crpdeth
  6. wdbf

wdbf New Member

The Savage shares the spotlight with the the SMLE and the Moisin-Nagant in the category of Best Performance By an Ugly Rifle. The 222 I used to have shot EXTREMELY well. I was just ashamed to be seen with it.
  7. josh

josh New Member

Nope it is just the 325's and 340's he disliked. He sings the praises of the many other savage rifles he has had.
    Maybe Ill give the 325 30-30 i found yesterday a shot. My understanding of the 30-30 is the cartridge will come apart before you can load it hot enough to hurt most bolt guns.
  8. smitty_bs

smitty_bs New Member

Hello. I just picked up a Savage Model 340E. It has a checkered (likely pressed) stock and is in the .222 caliber (triple deuce).

Is there any way to tell when the firearm was manufactured? It has no serial number. Also, where is the bolt release? I wanted to clean it up and can't find the release button or tab.

I understand these rifles are quite accurate. Any other comments on these?
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

As far as I've found, the only thing really bad about the 340 is that it's built with a lot of sheet metal stamped parts, usually have a pretty coarse trigger compared to higher priced rifles, and it's just a bit on the ugly side. Most of them that I've known are very good shooters for the price tag if you can get a good trigger job on em.

I'm a big fan of "bargain" rifles...the 788 Remington is still my favorite, but like stash posted they're not really in the bargain category anymore. The 340 is still a good low-price shooter.

I haven't had one for several years, but if I remember right the bolt released by pressing the safety forward as you pull the bolt from the action.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. smitty_bs

smitty_bs New Member

I found out how....you pull the trigger as you pull the bolt back. Simple, but I've never felt comfortable pulling the trigger on a gun I didn't want to fire.
  11. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Savage 340's (and the other similar models, labeled Stevens, Revelation, etc) were a reliable, value priced rifle for its entire production run. Ive owned a few over the years, and the only real drawback is the need for a side scope mount which in turn, makes it necessary to mount the scope further back, reducing eye relief. Of course, since these were only made in 22 Hornet, 222, 225 Win and 30-30, recoil isnt much of an issue. Depending on the price, of course, I would purchase an earlier (pre "E") 340 in a heartbeat. The reason I dont like the E is simply that the stock is cheaper and the checkering IS the pressed type, and frankly, I like the looks of the earlier model better. Also made as the Model 325 with a "flat bolt handle" ala butterknife, the action and value is similar, although I personally think the flat bolts look like a tu tu on a linebacker. ACCURACE IS USUALL EXCELLENT, due to the Savage method of mounting the barrel with an external nut, rather than screwing it into the receiver. Ever seen a Savage 110 or variation, in good shape that DIDNT shoot well? Me either.
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The biggest issue I have with mine is the foolish scope mounts that you need to use with them.
  13. redtail1949

redtail1949 New Member

A friend of mine has one and we load for it and shoot it quite often. He has no complaints and it is accurate with a handloaded pointed bullet.

I would buy one and be proud to have it.
  14. always_learning

always_learning Member

Last night I stumbled onto a West Point 842 (Savage 340) 30-30, never been fired. The stock has no scratches or dents and there are no rust spots on this rifle. It was part of a collection that was being sold from an estate.

I already have a Savage 340A 30-30, perfect for my needs. 150 yards with open sights.

I don't regret buying a duplicate because it's like a brand new rifle, but honestly, I can't see me shooting a nice unfired rifle like this.

Pics coming.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. always_learning

always_learning Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013