Whats wrong with my 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Barney5
    (12/24/01 7:48:59 pm)
    Reply Whats wrong with my 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a old army issue Colt 1911 from 1917. What happen's is when I shot it. Is after about 10 rounds it locks up. Hammer back, round in chamber, and the trigger won't move. If I mess around with grip safety, it will some times go off. If I take out clip and round from chamber, It will start working again for a few shot. I have taken it completely apart and can't see anything wrong. What is wrong? Any help would be great. I like the gun but I am about to get rid of it.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/24/01 8:01:04 pm)
    Re: Whats wrong with my 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mess around with the grip safety like how? And welcome to the forum!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Barney5
    (12/24/01 9:28:36 pm)
    Reply Re: Whats wrong with my 1911
    Thank you, I love this site.
    if I push the grip safety in and out Some times it works(rarely). It just locks up. I have tried series 70 hammer, and it would still lock up. I think the innerds are tuckered out? I wanted to asked some of you folks before I bought any new parts.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/24/01 9:50:30 pm)
    Barney, welcome to the board. Check the sear spring contact point. I suspect the spring has outlived it's usefullness.

Barney5
    (12/24/01 10:00:50 pm)
    I have another spring and will try it this week. Keep ya posted. Merry Christmas every one.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/24/01 10:06:27 pm)
    Barney, while you have the 1911 torn down be sure to check for wear on the sear, disconnector, and hammer hooks. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/24/01 11:24:21 pm)
    Sam,

Should he check the main spring too?
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/24/01 11:30:35 pm)
    Tac, it probably would hurt although I have never seen one go bad. They seem to last forever. Could be gummed up though.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/24/01 11:34:16 pm)
    They gum up all right. Part of a good 1911 action job is to polish the mainspring tunnel. Shouldn't have anything to do with the problem described though... new sear spring should fix that as well as checking over the disconnector.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Barney5
    (12/30/01 7:47:08 pm)
    Reply Whats wrong with my 1911
    I put a new sear spring(4 Finger) and I went and shot my old Gov't 45. I don't think it was the spring? It won't lock up on certain mags and then the others it will lock up everytime. no problems with the wilson mags and even a couple cheapies, but the others lock the gun up. I use the same mags in my stock Norinco 1911 and have no problem. Could the mag release be worn out(it is 75 years old). but then that don't make to much sense. what is up?

bg
    (12/31/01 3:21:40 pm)
    I at one time had that kinda of problem too.and I found that the disconnector was binding up and that the sear was a
    little rough.After I polished both items and inspected the
    the areas around them and not finding anything I put it back
    together and found that now the gun would fire without using
    the grip safety.I went back in and by bending the sear spring
    on try and bend,try and bend type method,I finally got it
    to it to perform like it supposed to.I've got a sometimes
    problem with it now as that it doesn't always lock back on
    the last rnd,but I believe with the help of other members
    here we'll get to the nitty-gritty of it.Gdluk with yours.