whats yalls favorite turkey shoot gun.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by pops42, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    i just wanted to know what somebody else's gun for a turkey shoot would be? i like my 12g, winchester single shoot with a 28 inch barrel one of a bunch of his when he passed. so do any of yall got anything to say about your favorite or what it is?
  2. lentz

lentz Former Guest

12 ga. doublebarrel
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

.22 LR ( through the head dont make a mess of the meat)
  4. pops42

pops42 New Member

naw, iant talking about hunting them, i'am asking about when a bunch of fellas shoot at targets and best scores win one or something.turkey,ham,or what ever.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry pops ( dumb aussie here)

i'm sorta "hunt orientated" eh
  6. pops42

pops42 New Member

thats fine Jack, i hunt them alot, but i recken i could have worded it better,we usealy have them on a fri. or saterday . it just gives us something to brag about in the off season. we also shoot at a target with names on it at a 100yards or so for a rifle,but that one we pay about 10$ for each spot that you want your name on. it just gives us hillbilleys a reason to shoot, got a couple of nice guns that way to.:D
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we call it a bag shoot , prize is in the bag , sometimes a jug , sometimes a ham whatever folks come up with at the time , often used to raise funds for something the local Rotary club runs em every so often as does the bush fire brigade,

like LBJ once said

"America and Australia, two people separated by a common language" ;)
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. pops42

pops42 New Member

yep that's what we do up here to it's just a lot of fun and for a good reason.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I used to win, quite often, when I was a kid, using my brother's 1100 12 gauge with a 28 modified on it. Then he switched the barrel to a 26 improved and I never did worth a flip afterwards. :(
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I use my left-handed Remingtom 1187, 12 ga, with a turkey choke in the 28" barrel.

Have also used my son's Remington 870, left-handed model, too, in the past.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Used to run a poker shoot. Set up a big cardboard target at 25 yards with the whole deck of 52 cards minus the jokers pinned face first to the cardboard. You paid your dollar and got 7 shots with a 22 handgun. Then you went and took the cards with bullet holes off the board before the next man shot, the best 5 cards won.

Finally had to stop running it, only a few of us could hit 7 cards at that distance and it made it hard for somebody with only 2 or 3 cards to win a hand. I was hoping it would encourage handgun practice but all they wanted to do was shoot at big targets 9' to 21' away. :(

Not shooting in my book.

If I was to get in that turkey shoot game I think I would use my H&R single shot 10 gauge. # 6 or smaller shot should just about cover the target at most any distance they want to shoot at. If they want more than 3 shots I'm outta there.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Turkey plates at 200 yards with a 1911 .45ACP. Very challenging and fun once you figure it out.
  13. pops42

pops42 New Member

hey,old grump that sounds about like what a bunch of us that hang out at the old country store round here do for a gun, except it coast anywhere from 5$ to 15$ per spot depending on the gun. and you can get as many spots as you want. then after its full we turn it around so you cant see the names, and whoevers gun it shoots it one time at 100yards ,if it hits your name the gun is yorn. must of the time the fella that owns the store buys a rifle to shoot for a shootgun every now and then.the last few have been 50 cal black powders.