What's your favorite .22 rifle ??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

shooter45 us
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/23/01 12:06:52 am)
    Reply What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For hunting ? For target shooting ?
    Mine are for hunting - Remington 541 S Custom Sporter. For Targets - Ruger 10/22 T with lots of work.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 3/25/01 6:57:51 am

Bob In St Louis
    (3/23/01 8:12:25 pm)
    Reply Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I kinda like the Calico with the 100 round helical drum mag. I had the rifle in 22, and had the 9mm pistol version. Awesome weapons. Sold em both to buy more old Spanish steel. Dummy me.

Actually, I still have the Remingtom Speedmaster 552 semiauto I got when I was 12. Still my most dependable 22.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

AntiqueDr
    (3/23/01 9:14:44 pm)
    In bolt action, for hunting, Winchester 75 Sporter or Kimber 82. For target, Winchester 52 - nuff said.

In slide action, Winchester 1890.

In semiauto, Winchester 63.

Hey, is there a pattern here?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few

TallTLynn
    (3/23/01 9:27:51 pm)
    Hmmmm a pattern???

Maybe you like Winchesters just a bit?

AntiqueDr
    (3/23/01 11:35:24 pm)
    I've been accused of it, yes...

shooter45 us
    (3/23/01 11:54:20 pm)
    Soon, there will be a Winchester shortage in Texas.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/24/01 2:20:23 pm)
    My favorite .22-rifles are #1. My Pre-ban Feather
    AT-22 and my Ruger 10/22 stainless on a Butler Creek
    folder.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 6:50:17 am)
    Sure like my Browning grade 2 lever action =)

Xracer
    (3/25/01 10:24:46 am)
    Ah......nostalgia time! When I was a kid in a small town in Maine, a family friend used to loan me his Winchester Model 1903 .22 Auto to go shoot rats at the Town Dump. (Try doing that at your local "Sanitary Landfill" nowadays!!!!)

It took a special Winchester .22 Auto cartridge (made only for the '03), which, strangely enough, the local hardware store kept in stock.

What a sweet shooting little honey that was!

shooter45 us
    (3/25/01 10:34:52 am)
    Xracer, my father-in-law has a win.1903. He has never fired it.I've been to a "rat killin'",sure was fun. It has been brought up at our town council meeting. We don't have an answer yet.

Xracer
    (3/25/01 10:45:58 am)
    Shooter.....yeah, what a sweetie that '03 is. Too bad he never shot it.....and now he never will! Winchester .22 Auto is now a collector cartridge.......hasn't been made for years.

It was brought out when .22LR was available in both black and smokeless powder. Winchester didn't want blackpowder .22 LR rounds used ('cause they would gum up the works) so they brought a special cartridge for this gun, their first .22 auto.

Too bad it's just a wallhanger now........take my word for it, it really was a beautiful shooting little piece!

AntiqueDr
    (3/25/01 10:55:07 am)
    Occasionally someone will make a run of .22 WRF and/or .22 Rem Spl. I remember that Olin made some about 10 years ago...

Xracer
    (3/25/01 10:56:01 am)
    BTW, Shooter.......please tell your father-in-law not to try shooting .22LR through it!!! If it feeds and fires, it will blow the case!

The Win. .22 Auto cartridge had a longer & wider case (.665 x .250) than .22LR (.595 x .224).

Xracer
    (3/25/01 11:06:37 am)
    Hi Doc.......yep, but WRF was originally made for the early Winchester & Remington .22 pump rifles, it's not the same as .22 Winchester Auto, which was made ONLY for the Model '03.

And, of course, nobody should try to use .22LR in any gun chambered for either .22 WRF or .22 Win. Auto.

shooter45 us
    (3/25/01 1:50:10 pm)
    Xracer, he has just over a box of ammo. Good thing , huh?

AntiqueDr
    (3/25/01 2:15:48 pm)
    Absolutely right, X.

By the way, Old Western Scrounger advertises .22 Win Auto at around $12.95 / 50.

Xracer
    (3/25/01 5:45:43 pm)
    Boy, I'd love to see Rossi (or somebody else) bring out a reproduction of the '03 in .22LR.....the way they did with that pretty little Winchester pump.

Kdubya
    (3/26/01 5:32:19 pm)
    My favorite is my old original Marlin model 39
    My classy rifle is a Kimber Classic Model 82 stainless (barrel)
    My messing around and hunting rifle is a Ruger 10/22 with switch barrels/stocks.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    (3/26/01 10:08:21 pm)
    Don't laugh, I've owned alot, including Mossberg 1942 targets, a slew of 10/22s, an AR7...a bunch more, not counting pistols....

My all time favorite is the Marlin 25 BA with the el-cheapo Tasco 4-power I got for Xmas when I was 12...I was heck on starlings and grackles! Traded my Dad for the AR-7 when I was in college, cause he used to yank the scope off all the time and use it anyway(he hated scopes). I had and still have no clue why or when he got the AR7! The AR-7 is long gone, but that Model 25 is still behind my Mom's bedroom door. She had me show her again how to use it after Dad died, seems her and Dad used to go out back and shoot it now and again for fun, even though he was in a wheelchair. He even bought an extra clip for it...She likes having a gun around the house now that she's alone, but never liked to handle Dad's shotgun.

The only one I own now? A Glenfield 75C tube-fed semi-auto carbine with an el-cheapo Tasco 4-power...

Bought it used for $55 at Friendship not long ago just to have one to teach the kids, now is my favorite squirrel gun. Those old Marlins just last and last, and shoot pretty well too...as long as I keep it clean.

warpig883
    (3/30/01 7:54:00 am)
    Love the old Stevens. The Stevens Visible Loader is the coolest pump gun ever. The Crackshot and Favorite are good uns to.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor

wundudnee
    (3/30/01 9:03:53 pm)
    My favorite is the model 1890 winchester. But 1906, 61, 62a, and my latest a factory scoped model 63 could be my favorites. Of course the old 1902 winchester is still fun. And yes I think I may see a pattern starting here too. Not all of the pretty little 22's have migrated south.

remingtongeo
    (4/11/01 8:12:38 am)
    I've got a pattern too.

Pump: Remington Mod. 12CS, that's in 22 Rem. Special (WRF), and you can still get ammo.

Semiauto: Remington Mod. 550-2

Single shot plinker: Remington Mod. 4

Bolt repeater: Remington Mod. 541X

Bolt single shot: Mauser Mod. 51

Target: Anschutz Mod. 54 1413

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/11/01 8:50:19 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
    Welcome aboard Remingtongeo!

Tac

timberbeast
    (4/19/01 12:28:04 am)
    My favorite is a Winchester 62 pump I picked up from a buddy for 200 bucks, so clean, so tight. I picked up a Rossi copy for my daughter. Most accurate I've fired is a BRNO a buddy of mine has. Second place for accuracy is my dad's old Remington 41 Targetmaster single shot. An unsung hero is the venerable Rem. Nylon 66. Hits where you aim, keeps shooting no matter what. Have to have a 10/22 also. No reason not to! I always wanted a Browning Autoloader, the sleek little guy that loads through the side of the stock, but didn't have the funds, so I got a Norinco copy. It's a nice little rifle.

reedbuster
    (6/23/01 1:19:04 am)
    I'm in with polishshooter, nothing fancy a Marlin model 60 I bought when in the service. I mounted a cheap bushnel 3x9 and have shot alot of rabbit and prarie dog with it.

ibtrukn
    (6/23/01 10:00:41 am)
    Reply whats your favorite 22 rifle
    .22's and pearl handled knives, bud lite and black jack. livin large!
    love them all, but my own 2 favorites are my Haenel KK Sport(3 different rear sites and a palm rest) that shoots better than i ever will and my preWW2 Savage mod29, equal or better(in my not so humble opinion) than any big W . runner up probably Rem 541s that i stupidly sold and cannot bring myself to part with 4-5 hunnert for another. GOOD THREAD!!!

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 2:39:42 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
    Its really my best and most favorite 22. A Remington 541T rifle, heavy barrel w/ Weaver 3x9x38.
    Very very used to accurate performance. A tack driver.
    Also, I'm fond of Weatherby's XXII Mark 22. They are getting rare.
    Charlie D
    ------------------------
    Makes those 500 yd. rapid fire targets jump for joy.
    Of course thats, using a mirror shooting backwards
    in high winds. No sweat!

Any comments on a "1450 Anschutz 22 Target???

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/01 4:10:43 pm)
    Reply Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
    Stevens Little Scout my grandfather got as a kid and cut his initals (same as mine) in the bottom of the barrel with a file

ghoti thumper
    (7/16/01 2:39:31 am)
    Reply Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
    I bought my first ruger, a 77/22 stainless with the heavy barrel, put a 3x9 leupold on it, told the wife it was "for the kids", so they'd shoot their hunting rifles better. I'm starting to really like that little rifle. Also have an old mossberg model 402 lever thats pretty neat, I've got a Glenfield/marlin model 60 that I've had for a little better than 20 years. Many rounds on the 60 have taken their toll. A lot of memories in that one though.

Chuck from arkansaw
    (8/6/01 2:33:16 pm)
    My favorite .22 rifle is my C.Z. 452 American Clasic. It looks and shoots like center fire rifle. If you are looking for a man sized, all steel and wood .22 rifle and can't afford a Kimber, by all means check out the C.Z. Mine will shoot 5/8" 50 yard
    groups with CCI Mini-mags and 3/8" with target ammo. It has an adjustable model 70 style trigger, a hand checkered walnut stock, and a forged and machined steel reciever. I got it for $290 including tax. This is the ideal squirrel and small game rifle.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/6/01 3:18:30 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
    Welcome Aboard Chuck from arkansaw!

Thanks for the info on the rifle, glad you have
    joined us, hope you jump in often!

Alphamale
    (8/6/01 8:49:36 pm)
    Welcome to the board Chuck
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

Bagoosh
    (8/6/01 10:40:44 pm)
    I shot my friends Marlin 22mag in stainless. The smoothest, best balanced 22 ive held (keep in mind i have not held them all), very very accurate and flat as a high power rifle. For fun and plinking i like my Marlin Papoose breakdown 22 semi/auto in stainless. I put a red dot scope on it, and have a lot of 10rd mags. I can shoot it all day and still be having fun.

Paladin6
    (8/12/01 6:11:04 pm)
    My early AT-22 for burning up rounds(LOTS of rounds, blisters on the thumb)
    Ruger 10/22 (with lots of work) for hunting and paper punching with many stocks(hogues me fav)
    Ruger MKI&II's for pistolas
    Though I have gone through some nice Marlins and Savage/Stevens and a Henry
    A
    As long as there is life there is hope, as long as there is hope for a better life it will be better. If you want to take my guns I HOPE you won't mind them bullets first.

Roger Patterson
    (8/12/01 11:30:04 pm)
    It's got to be Winchester's revamped '03, the Model 63. It's the neatest little autoloader around. Mine never misses a beat with whatever high speed ammo I feed it. While it's no target rifle, it's accurate enough for plinking and hunting purposes. It looks nice, handles nice and shoots nice. What more can a guy ask?

I've also got a soft spot for a Savage Model 1903 pump rifle. It's got a 24" octagon barrel, and a 7-shot clip magazine instead of the ususal under-barrel tube other pumps have. For some funny reason, Remington Sub-Sonics clock about 150 fps faster through it than through my 23" barrelled Rossi Gallery pump. I wonder why?

Xzec.

Xracer
    (8/13/01 7:17:49 am)
    Welcome Roger! Hope ya stay a while.

Seems like a bunch of us have a love affair with those old turn-of-the-century Winchesters.

bigH
    (9/2/01 7:20:13 am)
    Remington 541-S,why did remington stop making these,great looking rifle ,and as accurate as some of the high dollar imports

(9/27/01 1:10:49 pm)
    I have a Winchester Model 67 bolt action single shot with the finger grooves that my father gave me. I use it for serious .22 hunting work.

My target/fun gun is the Mitchell Jager M16 look alike that I picked up about a year ago. It shoots great, draws attention, and is a hoot to shoot.

David.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  2. ddhotbot

ddhotbot New Member

i guess my favorite 22 would have too be my marlin bolt action which was my grandfathers,still a tack driver.for a close second i recently purchased a cz ulta lux ,this is without a doubt 1 of the finest rifles for $ 200 you can ever own,extremely accurate out of the box!!love my browning buckmark with red dot scope,it doesnt get any more fun then that.
    keep on bangin boys,don
  3. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO!!! I tink U got me an charlie (different name) switched. I never owned a mod 60 an wooden no a prairie dog froma hot dog. otherwise nice to reminesce:confused:
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!...

Welcome Don!...;) ...IB, Who ya talkin' at...:confused:
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile New Member

Without a doubt the Marlin model 60! I would put it against pretty much anything in it's class and maybe beyond. I think that people turn their nose up at them because of the price. I see them in pawn shop racks by the boatload for around $75.00 What a deal! Right now my only .22 is a Ruger 10/22, but that it only because I found it in a Farm/Tractor store that was going out of business for $130.00. Believe me, I will be getting another model 60 very soon. I don't see that the 10/22 has any advantages over it. In fact, I like the M 60 better because of it's tube magazine. Detachable magazines get lost quite often, but I have never lost a tube. Also, I like being able to cram 15-17 rounds of ammo into the tube as opposed to the 10 round 10/22 mags. Hi-Cap 10/22 mags are outrageously expensive. The M 60 is the one I would keep if I could only have one of the two.
  6. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

Crocodile, you get in the mood for that Model 60, let me know. I have a Stainless, with laminated stock. I also have a laminated stock that has been cut down that is an extra. It also has rings.

I got it for Christmas two years ago. It is a great squirrel hunter.

This last Christmas, I got a Ruger 77/22 HB with Laminated stock, and am only keeping one .22lr.

shooter22's email
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

SG chek out the post up in the "old time" (brand x) section for me an different name. no big deal.....honest:cool:
  8. warpig

warpig Guest

I have the same thought as Crocodile about the Marlin mod 60. Best .22 out there for the money. Accuarate 2:)

Welcome to TFF Crocodile.
  9. gram22

gram22 Guest

My favorite...

Only rifle I have is my Ruger 10/22, and it is my favorite. Although, I wish I had a bigger magazine than the standard factory 10 round. I put a scope on it recently and can make cans dance out on the range. I am currently broke, so any plans to modify it are currently suspended. It's not a special gun, can't say it's any better than any of your rifles, but it holds a special sentimental value to me that is irreplaceable.
  10. Crocodile

Crocodile New Member

Warpig - it was the accuracy of the M 60 that first amazed me and made me fall in love with it. My first one was topped off with a nice 4X Tasco scope and it was simply unbeatable. Honestly, I just don't know what the big deal is about the 10/22 - I really don't. It's not an iota more accurate than the M 60 and more expensive - what's more, the dimensions are those of a youth rifle IMHO. It's more expensive - even used. About the only thing that it has that the M60 doesn't is a truckload of aftermarket items so that you can turn your, what ought to be a $125.00 .22, into a $500.00 .22 - though why anyone would want to do that simply escapes me. I was looking through my Brownells and Midway cataloges the other day and was absolutely stunned by the amount and the prices of the aftermarket toys for the 10/22 (there are stocks out there, stocks for gosh sakes, that cost more than the price of two 10/22 rifles!). I understand the Chevy, Dodge, Ford thing, I really do, but I'm not even sure that this would even fall into the same category. It's like trying to trick out a VW bug into a Plymouth Barracuda by placing a Hemi in the back seat and painting stripes down the side.

Well, I suppose I've stepped on a lot of toes just now, and I'm sorry - I really am, because that was not my intent, but as a past owner of an M60 and a current owner of a 10/22 my wonder at this phenomenon is absolutely genuine
  11. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

I like my Rem 541T. Just a smooth accurate 22 that I really like the lines. Easy on the eyes!

Crocodile, That's your opinion on the 10/22 and you have the right to express it. But, I think you'll have many here to debate with you very soon. HAVE FUN!!
  12. warpig

warpig Guest

Marlin mod 60 is #1

Crododile

You must be in my head. Taking words out of my mouth. ESP or at least watching ESPN.

Everything you just said is exactly the way I feel about those 2 rifles.

We are in the minority though:(
  13. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I, for one, am offended by your 10/22 remarks and demand an immediate apology. I have $12,438.97 invested in my 10/22 and with enough practice I might be able to actually hit something with it.

Just kidding. I don't have a 10/22. I'm just really bored today. :D I do like the Marlin model 60 better.
  14. z537z

z537z New Member

not so sure it's a minority...

I don't like the 10/22 either, though I don't own one but have shot one quite a bit. The feel is worse than my Rem 597. And yeah I think it feels like a youth rifle too.

I mean it's nice to be able to upgrade the hell outa that rifle, but isn't it kinda wierd to buy a rather expensive rifle just as a skeleton on which to improve upon? Croc very well put post, keep em comin.

I'll be sure to let you all know how that Romanian Trainer works out for me, I'm looking forward to it! 4 days left in school, folks then it's first day out on the range, booyah.

I'll have to try one of those Marlins, most definitely. I too love tube feed. Feels wierd and unconventional, but it's faster to load, holds more and loads more reliably IMHO (clips don't always load up, especially w/o a ramped receiver).

Well now I gotta get rid of my 597. Great gun, anyone want it? I'm thinkin 75 bucks, not sure.

This has been a long enough post I think
    :p

_z
  15. warpig

warpig Guest

On the Marlins the older models have a longer tube that holds 18. The newer ones only hold 15:confused:

Not that the 3 rounds matter a whole lot but then again 3 rounds is 3 rounds.
  16. Grayfox

Grayfox New Member

I'm a big fan of the Marlin .22s too. Both of my sons (now grown) learned to shoot with the Model 25 bolt actions. Absolutely amazing how accurate they are for such a low price.
    My personal favorite .22 rifle is the Winchester 9422. I sorta got a thing for lever guns.:D
  17. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome Grayfox!!...

Kind'a older myself...gotta wierd collection of .22's too...now I gotta go look up an see what a Win. 9422 is...:cool:
  18. Hog Hunter

Hog Hunter New Member

Remington

My favorite is my Remington Model 541-S then the 541T.
  19. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I absolutely love the Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 and its clones. Get one of two of them every week across the bench. :D
  20. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Winchester Model 52-D. Nuff said