What's your favorite .22 rifle ??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

I'm sure to be an odd man out here...I can live with that. I've got a Model 94 Winchester, both if 22 LR and 30/30, but I am still partial to my little ol' Savage Sporter.
  2. justdoug

justdoug New Member

Geeze, how did I over look this one? Boy, I gotta bunch of favorites.
    The first .22 I ever shot: Dads Marlin 36
    Another favorite: Dads 29th Anniversary Marlin 36
    Oh, Dads Winchester 1894 that he almost gave to me until my brother told him how much it was worth.
    The first rifle my wife bought fo me - a Savage 64.
    The AAA Grade Browning at the local shop -_- $1149:(
    My brothers bolt action Marlin that I shot that Marlboro with.
    The pink Crickett that my daugther just got for Christmas and the pink 10/22 that other daugther is about to get.
    Then there's my stainless 10/22 - sure is fun.

That too many?
  3. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

My favorite used to be my Marlin Glenfield Model 25 until my son annexed it. It was very accurate. Been without one for a couple of years until my wife surprised me with a Charles Daly Zastasa for Christmas, haven't had a chance to fire it yet but a couple of people that have one tell me they are very good rifles.
  4. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

I'm kinda partial to the Marlin 39 (I own a Mountie), and the Italian Weatherby MKXII Deluxe (SN:09XXX)
  5. GOGETTER

GOGETTER New Member

Rossi 62 SAC PUMP SS CARBINE. SWEET LITTLE SHOOTER AND FUN TO PLINK WITH. GENO
  6. BillsVX

BillsVX New Member

Marlin-Glenfield Model 60, 18 shot, tube fed. Bought mine in 1976. Been a great shooter for a long time. Pretty accurate using the Iron sights. Never could afford a decent scope for it so, I made do with the sights that were on it. They haven't failed me yet.:D
  7. Nortranman

Nortranman New Member

Gotta agree with "Taurus 9MM" and others, I really enjoy my Ruger 10/22.
  8. James22

James22 New Member

This is my first posting and have really only been shooting for the last two years

#1 Remington MODEL 12 Pump action, tube magazine with Lyman peep site.
    It was my Grandfather's I never saw him use it but I do not remember a time when it was not in evidence by the window facing the bird feeder. Looking back I always wondered why my dad had problems keeping squirrels off his feeder but Grandpa never had a squirrel near his I think I know now. It was the second gun my daughter shot she went through over 100+ rounds before I realized it and decided I needed to get her something not so sentimental to shoot

#2 SAVAGE MODEL 1909 Pump action, clip magazine with peep site. It was my Grandfathers when he was a young one. I had never seen it until two years ago. It was as filthy as his Remington was clean. I actually thought he had worn out the rifling in the first six inches of the barrel until I used shooters choice 4 times and removed enough lead to make a bullet or two. The stock was cracked were it goes around the action and triangular piece was gone. Having read one book on gun smithing I felt I could fix it up. Found out that epoxy is great stuff but only if you get rid of all the wood soaked oil. Managed to replace the missing piece with walnut from a tree that my father cut down out of my father in law's back yard 20 years ago. Had to replace more wood on the inside of the stock than the repair outside because it was just too oily. By the time I had a solid stock and had shaped and filed it so the action was solid I was not surprised that the triangular piece had cracked and been lost their is less than a 1/8" of wood in that section. It shoots great but will only be shot occasionally with low velocity amo.

#3 Remington TARGETMASTER MODEL 41 Bolt action open sights. The gun my father-in-law learned to shoot with and the first gun my daughter fired. Great simple gun to teach her how to shoot safely.

#4 SAVAGE MARK II bolt action open sites but ready for a scope. My daughters gun, brand new and has already tasted over 500+ rounds. I got a bolt action because she goes through amo fast. Does anyone think a scope will slow her down and what would be a good scope for her gun?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  9. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

#1....Thompson Center R-55 Sporter
    #2....Ruger 10/22T
  10. Altrisk

Altrisk New Member

I have one .22 LR. Here in South Africa it's very difficult to get a license for a .22LR mainly because people used it in the past to shoot all sorts of animals that the little.22 LR did not kill reliably.

I have an Anschutz 1420 sporter that I use with a Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40 for silhoette shooting and hunting springhares at night. My best is 18 springhares on one night. The Kalahari is littered with these "small kangaroos" and we give it to the local blacks to eat. (They eat everything!)

This rifle will put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 metres and shoots 1/2 MOA groups at 100m (if there is no wind)

As our only .22LR ammo manufacturer closed down last year, I now have to rely on imported ammo. I currently use RWS Geco from germany, but they are not as good as what I was used to. Any suggestions? I can get CCI and Eley here, but its very expensive.
  11. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

They are getting expensive here in the states as well Altrisk....

If you are used to using a good grade of ammo then the CCI Standard Velocity, Green Tag, and Pistol Match perform very well for me. The Eley is real good stuff, but I'd only use it for shooting matches, and use something else for hunting.

.22Lr ammo has been in limited supply lately, many brands have been unavailible for months now, if you can find it, buy as much as you can afford, it might not be there when you go back for more......:eek:
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Altrisk, Both Wolf, from Germany, and Federal, from here in the US, offer several 'levels of performance' in their ammo, as does Eley.
    I know the rifle you are shooting, very well, and if it is torqued (Action, into the stock), consistantly, it is limited only by the ammo, and the shooter, in accuracy.
    Tony Mig is telling you straight; GOOD ammo is scarce here, and everywhere, so far as I know, and that drives up the price.
    When I buy ammo, I buy a box of this, and a box of that, sometimes five boxes of the same line, but different lots, and do my testing in a large (300+ meters long) aircraft hangar, at night, under artificial light, on the target, and determine the best by group size, out of a rifle that has and will shoot ragged holes, at 100 Yds, under such conditions, a Model 52D action, wearing a barrel 1 1/2" in diameter, full length, and a 2 oz trigger, from Canjar: ammo that won't shoot well in this, just won't shoot!
    For my purpose, it is close to the perfect 'screening tool' to weed out what does not work, at acceptable levels.
    All shooting is indoors, no 'conditions' to deal with, like wind, changing light, etc, the only variable is the ammo.
    If I find a particularly 'Hot Lot', I fire up the Cell, and buy everything in that lot the distributor has; being as I'm shooting at night, I sometimes have to wake someone, at home, to do the deal, but this is how it works, for me!
    I spoke of 'levels of performance', earlier.
    I'm down to less than a case, of a lot of 711-B Federal, that outshoots their 900, 900-B, and 1000UM ammo, in all of my guns; cost me,I think, about $190 US/ case, and freight; cheap ammo, but a lot of 'possibles', in the results.
    At the level you are at, it seems foolish to be limited by ammo. But the best is not always the most expensive, simply 'the best'.
    Test it, box at a time, lot at a time, and buy ALL of what works, repeat.
  13. board917

board917 New Member

I love my J.C. Higgins model 103.13 single shot bolt action that i picked up for $40 and restored.
  14. sportour

sportour New Member

My Remington Fieldmaster pump which I have had since 1950. I single handedly wiped out a large population of jacks in the So. Cal Mojave when I was a teen with that rifle, topped with a Weaver G4 scope. I now have a newer Bushnell sitting on it. It still looks almost as good as it did the day I found it waiting for me on the front porch and still shoots just as straight. We used to ride our bikes with our rifles gripped on the handlebars up into the Baldwin Hills to hunt rabbits. The only time the police stopped us was to find out where we were going and to tell us where they'd seen rabbits that day. Good rifle, good times.
  15. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Winchester 52 (or 75, for the field), Ruger 10/22 for plinking.