The Firearms Forum banner

What's your favorite .22 rifle ??

174K views 359 replies 255 participants last post by  mogunner 
#1 · (Edited)
shooter45 us
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(3/23/01 12:06:52 am)
Reply What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For hunting ? For target shooting ?
Mine are for hunting - Remington 541 S Custom Sporter. For Targets - Ruger 10/22 T with lots of work.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 3/25/01 6:57:51 am

Bob In St Louis
(3/23/01 8:12:25 pm)
Reply Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I kinda like the Calico with the 100 round helical drum mag. I had the rifle in 22, and had the 9mm pistol version. Awesome weapons. Sold em both to buy more old Spanish steel. Dummy me.

Actually, I still have the Remingtom Speedmaster 552 semiauto I got when I was 12. Still my most dependable 22.
Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

AntiqueDr
(3/23/01 9:14:44 pm)
In bolt action, for hunting, Winchester 75 Sporter or Kimber 82. For target, Winchester 52 - nuff said.

In slide action, Winchester 1890.

In semiauto, Winchester 63.

Hey, is there a pattern here?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few

TallTLynn
(3/23/01 9:27:51 pm)
Hmmmm a pattern???

Maybe you like Winchesters just a bit?

AntiqueDr
(3/23/01 11:35:24 pm)
I've been accused of it, yes...

shooter45 us
(3/23/01 11:54:20 pm)
Soon, there will be a Winchester shortage in Texas.

Tac401
Administrator
(3/24/01 2:20:23 pm)
My favorite .22-rifles are #1. My Pre-ban Feather
AT-22 and my Ruger 10/22 stainless on a Butler Creek
folder.

Tac
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
(3/25/01 6:50:17 am)
Sure like my Browning grade 2 lever action =)

Xracer
(3/25/01 10:24:46 am)
Ah......nostalgia time! When I was a kid in a small town in Maine, a family friend used to loan me his Winchester Model 1903 .22 Auto to go shoot rats at the Town Dump. (Try doing that at your local "Sanitary Landfill" nowadays!!!!)

It took a special Winchester .22 Auto cartridge (made only for the '03), which, strangely enough, the local hardware store kept in stock.

What a sweet shooting little honey that was!

shooter45 us
(3/25/01 10:34:52 am)
Xracer, my father-in-law has a win.1903. He has never fired it.I've been to a "rat killin'",sure was fun. It has been brought up at our town council meeting. We don't have an answer yet.

Xracer
(3/25/01 10:45:58 am)
Shooter.....yeah, what a sweetie that '03 is. Too bad he never shot it.....and now he never will! Winchester .22 Auto is now a collector cartridge.......hasn't been made for years.

It was brought out when .22LR was available in both black and smokeless powder. Winchester didn't want blackpowder .22 LR rounds used ('cause they would gum up the works) so they brought a special cartridge for this gun, their first .22 auto.

Too bad it's just a wallhanger now........take my word for it, it really was a beautiful shooting little piece!

AntiqueDr
(3/25/01 10:55:07 am)
Occasionally someone will make a run of .22 WRF and/or .22 Rem Spl. I remember that Olin made some about 10 years ago...

Xracer
(3/25/01 10:56:01 am)
BTW, Shooter.......please tell your father-in-law not to try shooting .22LR through it!!! If it feeds and fires, it will blow the case!

The Win. .22 Auto cartridge had a longer & wider case (.665 x .250) than .22LR (.595 x .224).

Xracer
(3/25/01 11:06:37 am)
Hi Doc.......yep, but WRF was originally made for the early Winchester & Remington .22 pump rifles, it's not the same as .22 Winchester Auto, which was made ONLY for the Model '03.

And, of course, nobody should try to use .22LR in any gun chambered for either .22 WRF or .22 Win. Auto.

shooter45 us
(3/25/01 1:50:10 pm)
Xracer, he has just over a box of ammo. Good thing , huh?

AntiqueDr
(3/25/01 2:15:48 pm)
Absolutely right, X.

By the way, Old Western Scrounger advertises .22 Win Auto at around $12.95 / 50.

Xracer
(3/25/01 5:45:43 pm)
Boy, I'd love to see Rossi (or somebody else) bring out a reproduction of the '03 in .22LR.....the way they did with that pretty little Winchester pump.

Kdubya
(3/26/01 5:32:19 pm)
My favorite is my old original Marlin model 39
My classy rifle is a Kimber Classic Model 82 stainless (barrel)
My messing around and hunting rifle is a Ruger 10/22 with switch barrels/stocks.
Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
(3/26/01 10:08:21 pm)
Don't laugh, I've owned alot, including Mossberg 1942 targets, a slew of 10/22s, an AR7...a bunch more, not counting pistols....

My all time favorite is the Marlin 25 BA with the el-cheapo Tasco 4-power I got for Xmas when I was 12...I was heck on starlings and grackles! Traded my Dad for the AR-7 when I was in college, cause he used to yank the scope off all the time and use it anyway(he hated scopes). I had and still have no clue why or when he got the AR7! The AR-7 is long gone, but that Model 25 is still behind my Mom's bedroom door. She had me show her again how to use it after Dad died, seems her and Dad used to go out back and shoot it now and again for fun, even though he was in a wheelchair. He even bought an extra clip for it...She likes having a gun around the house now that she's alone, but never liked to handle Dad's shotgun.

The only one I own now? A Glenfield 75C tube-fed semi-auto carbine with an el-cheapo Tasco 4-power...

Bought it used for $55 at Friendship not long ago just to have one to teach the kids, now is my favorite squirrel gun. Those old Marlins just last and last, and shoot pretty well too...as long as I keep it clean.

warpig883
(3/30/01 7:54:00 am)
Love the old Stevens. The Stevens Visible Loader is the coolest pump gun ever. The Crackshot and Favorite are good uns to.
I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor

wundudnee
(3/30/01 9:03:53 pm)
My favorite is the model 1890 winchester. But 1906, 61, 62a, and my latest a factory scoped model 63 could be my favorites. Of course the old 1902 winchester is still fun. And yes I think I may see a pattern starting here too. Not all of the pretty little 22's have migrated south.

remingtongeo
(4/11/01 8:12:38 am)
I've got a pattern too.

Pump: Remington Mod. 12CS, that's in 22 Rem. Special (WRF), and you can still get ammo.

Semiauto: Remington Mod. 550-2

Single shot plinker: Remington Mod. 4

Bolt repeater: Remington Mod. 541X

Bolt single shot: Mauser Mod. 51

Target: Anschutz Mod. 54 1413

Tac401
Administrator
(4/11/01 8:50:19 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
Welcome aboard Remingtongeo!

Tac

timberbeast
(4/19/01 12:28:04 am)
My favorite is a Winchester 62 pump I picked up from a buddy for 200 bucks, so clean, so tight. I picked up a Rossi copy for my daughter. Most accurate I've fired is a BRNO a buddy of mine has. Second place for accuracy is my dad's old Remington 41 Targetmaster single shot. An unsung hero is the venerable Rem. Nylon 66. Hits where you aim, keeps shooting no matter what. Have to have a 10/22 also. No reason not to! I always wanted a Browning Autoloader, the sleek little guy that loads through the side of the stock, but didn't have the funds, so I got a Norinco copy. It's a nice little rifle.

reedbuster
(6/23/01 1:19:04 am)
I'm in with polishshooter, nothing fancy a Marlin model 60 I bought when in the service. I mounted a cheap bushnel 3x9 and have shot alot of rabbit and prarie dog with it.

ibtrukn
(6/23/01 10:00:41 am)
Reply whats your favorite 22 rifle
.22's and pearl handled knives, bud lite and black jack. livin large!
love them all, but my own 2 favorites are my Haenel KK Sport(3 different rear sites and a palm rest) that shoots better than i ever will and my preWW2 Savage mod29, equal or better(in my not so humble opinion) than any big W . runner up probably Rem 541s that i stupidly sold and cannot bring myself to part with 4-5 hunnert for another. GOOD THREAD!!!

Different name
V.I.P. Member
(7/14/01 2:39:42 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
Its really my best and most favorite 22. A Remington 541T rifle, heavy barrel w/ Weaver 3x9x38.
Very very used to accurate performance. A tack driver.
Also, I'm fond of Weatherby's XXII Mark 22. They are getting rare.
Charlie D
------------------------
Makes those 500 yd. rapid fire targets jump for joy.
Of course thats, using a mirror shooting backwards
in high winds. No sweat!

Any comments on a "1450 Anschutz 22 Target???

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(7/14/01 4:10:43 pm)
Reply Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
Stevens Little Scout my grandfather got as a kid and cut his initals (same as mine) in the bottom of the barrel with a file

ghoti thumper
(7/16/01 2:39:31 am)
Reply Re: whats your favorite 22 rifle
I bought my first ruger, a 77/22 stainless with the heavy barrel, put a 3x9 leupold on it, told the wife it was "for the kids", so they'd shoot their hunting rifles better. I'm starting to really like that little rifle. Also have an old mossberg model 402 lever thats pretty neat, I've got a Glenfield/marlin model 60 that I've had for a little better than 20 years. Many rounds on the 60 have taken their toll. A lot of memories in that one though.

Chuck from arkansaw
(8/6/01 2:33:16 pm)
My favorite .22 rifle is my C.Z. 452 American Clasic. It looks and shoots like center fire rifle. If you are looking for a man sized, all steel and wood .22 rifle and can't afford a Kimber, by all means check out the C.Z. Mine will shoot 5/8" 50 yard
groups with CCI Mini-mags and 3/8" with target ammo. It has an adjustable model 70 style trigger, a hand checkered walnut stock, and a forged and machined steel reciever. I got it for $290 including tax. This is the ideal squirrel and small game rifle.

Tac401
Administrator
(8/6/01 3:18:30 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: What's your favorite .22 rifle ??
Welcome Aboard Chuck from arkansaw!

Thanks for the info on the rifle, glad you have
joined us, hope you jump in often!

Alphamale
(8/6/01 8:49:36 pm)
Welcome to the board Chuck
To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

Bagoosh
(8/6/01 10:40:44 pm)
I shot my friends Marlin 22mag in stainless. The smoothest, best balanced 22 ive held (keep in mind i have not held them all), very very accurate and flat as a high power rifle. For fun and plinking i like my Marlin Papoose breakdown 22 semi/auto in stainless. I put a red dot scope on it, and have a lot of 10rd mags. I can shoot it all day and still be having fun.

Paladin6
(8/12/01 6:11:04 pm)
My early AT-22 for burning up rounds(LOTS of rounds, blisters on the thumb)
Ruger 10/22 (with lots of work) for hunting and paper punching with many stocks(hogues me fav)
Ruger MKI&II's for pistolas
Though I have gone through some nice Marlins and Savage/Stevens and a Henry
A
As long as there is life there is hope, as long as there is hope for a better life it will be better. If you want to take my guns I HOPE you won't mind them bullets first.

Roger Patterson
(8/12/01 11:30:04 pm)
It's got to be Winchester's revamped '03, the Model 63. It's the neatest little autoloader around. Mine never misses a beat with whatever high speed ammo I feed it. While it's no target rifle, it's accurate enough for plinking and hunting purposes. It looks nice, handles nice and shoots nice. What more can a guy ask?

I've also got a soft spot for a Savage Model 1903 pump rifle. It's got a 24" octagon barrel, and a 7-shot clip magazine instead of the ususal under-barrel tube other pumps have. For some funny reason, Remington Sub-Sonics clock about 150 fps faster through it than through my 23" barrelled Rossi Gallery pump. I wonder why?

Xzec.

Xracer
(8/13/01 7:17:49 am)
Welcome Roger! Hope ya stay a while.

Seems like a bunch of us have a love affair with those old turn-of-the-century Winchesters.

bigH
(9/2/01 7:20:13 am)
Remington 541-S,why did remington stop making these,great looking rifle ,and as accurate as some of the high dollar imports

(9/27/01 1:10:49 pm)
I have a Winchester Model 67 bolt action single shot with the finger grooves that my father gave me. I use it for serious .22 hunting work.

My target/fun gun is the Mitchell Jager M16 look alike that I picked up about a year ago. It shoots great, draws attention, and is a hoot to shoot.

David.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson

See less See more
#27 ·
I have 3 that are my favorites.
1. Remington 597 in .22WMR with the heavy barrel. Good for target practice and small game/varmint hunting.

2.The Remington 597 in .22LR , great for target practice. I love the ergonomics and accuracy. The rifle simply fits me like a glove.

3. The Marlin 60. I love the DL in the Monte Carlo stock the best, but I have a total of 4. Tubular magazines are a pain, but I love them anyway.

#30 ·
I like all of my 22's rifle and pistols but the most favorite rifle is my Browning lever action shoots great and I enjoy shooting it. Dang thonk I may go shot it some today thinks for the IDEA!!!
Ron

#31 ·
Yeah Phishie, butcha mite let him have it afterU get the "NOO 1".

Niced to C the old hands from days gone by brought bacvk.....Different name (Charlie) warpig, Kdubya,Antik Dr,polishshooter, Bob from St Louis, Timberbeast an all the rest---------(in peace)!
Those were the days .......... :cool:

#33 ·
My Winchester 67 can't be beat for lazy days, laying around a prairie dog town. It's got a Simmons 4x on it. But when the mission is to dispatch many p-dogs, the Marlin 7000 is an awesome performer. For more devastating effect and a bit more range, my Marlin 25MN is still, technically a rimfire .22. And it is wickedly accurate. But the question is, "which one is my favorite". That would just have to be the 67.

#34 ·
Favorite .22??? They are all good, but my two picks would be a 40X Sporter, (Remington), in a wood grained composite stock from McMillan, and a 441/2 Stevens 'Range Rifle' (model 45), restocked in a Mannlicher style, full length fore end.
Both are more accurate than I am, and will shoot well under an inch at 100 yds, with good ammo.

#36 ·
Up above I said my Marlin 39, but equally, I love to shoot the Winchester 67. It is a very accurate and fun rifle.

#44 ·
Guess my fovorite would be the Stevens M45, now sort of a M-54.
Single shot, falling block, on a 44 1/2 action, with a Mannlicher style fore end; shoots 1/2- 3/4 groups at 100, with (cheap) Federal 711-B.
Weighs too much, cost way too much to build, but, I like it a LOT!

#47 ·
Had a 10/22 many moons ago, then went for a long time without any .22 rifles til last week when I scored a Savage-Anschutz #141, and 2 Remington Nylon 66's. The Nylons are kinda cool, but I've been shoot'in the hell out of this Anschutz and loving every minute of it.

#48 ·
I went the 10/22 modification route, Hogue stock, heavy barrel, Volquartzen hammer, ended up with a pretty awesome shooter. Am thinking about having a grackle stencil made, so I can decorate my pickup door with # of kills.
For wandering around the pasture, I like my 77/22mag. Strikes me as an elegant rifle.

#50 · (Edited)
josh said:
From all the glowing reviews ive read and the quality of the one ive handled I think my next 22 will be one of those romanian training rifles.
Josh, I got suckered into buying one for the heckuva it and I wished that I had bought another. Have one scoped and one open sights. Thinking of getting another to 'WORK' on. These things really like the Winchester Dynapoints. 25yds many 13/4" group at 50 yds most are under 1"
. I know that this doesn't sound good but I don't have a lot of control of my arms and fingers because of a disease. My son can shoot it as well as he can the 10/22 that has had some work done on it.

No joke, if'n you buy one of them, ordering them from SOG and such, dont waste time ordering just one. If you have kids order at least one each, one for you and then one for that person that you always take with you. Also purchase 2 extra magazines for each when you do it. OR at least one extra, just to have them on the ready to get ready to be in battery. I've enjoyed shooting mine. I ended up giving away a Marlin, shucks, done forgot what it ws, tube, semi=auto.

By the way, I first encounter with a firearm was a Glenfield Chipmunk Model 10. (I know, Marlin). The firing pin/bolt had worn out and my uncle took an old valve from some type of oil field stuff and remade it and put it into action with his son. We went off down from the house, by the way I was about 7-8 years old or so maybe 9, don't think so though, and got down into a little draw. Could barely hit the concrete slab that we had put tincans on, much less the cans. Ruint me for life, as my father would say.

I picked one up a few years ago at a garage sale. Danged, I paid $50 for it but I just wanted the Chipmunk to bring home. Don't shoot it a lot when we go out with our guns but I always shoot it. Probably still as accurate today as it was when it was new or close to it anyways. Everytime that I start to shoot with it, I think of that first time shooting a gun.

Memories......thank God for them for without them we could not be who we are today.......

Anyone else remember their first .22 or first shooting that they would care to share?

#51 · (Edited)
Gotta apologise. I lied, I think, about my favorite. If that means, "the one with you the most" it's a Brno Model 2, built and proofed in Czechoslovakia, but roll printer "Made in UAR" . Came from Navy Arms as a " MAS 45 type training rifle", at $79. Looked like it had been thru Hell, or at least, the Sudan, .003 too much headspace, at .046, and has now inherited a Leupold 6X scope worth twice what the rifle cost.
Refinished the stock, mounted the scope, shot it in (3/8" @ 50), and put in the toolbox on the truck, 100,298 miles ago. 4 or 5 deer have fallen down at the sheer sight of it (scary, at night), and a couple of dozen squirrels lost their minds, over it; can't count the jacks, who wish they had never seen it!
I love my Stevens, my pet, but this gun goes everywhere, and always shoots well.
List, PLEASE FORGIVE ME!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.