What's your favorite .22 rifle ??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. shrk08

shrk08 New Member

I have 2 favs. one is an original browning t-bolt. got an old j.c. higgins scope and a harris bipod on it and i'm the fear of every gopher on the place! my fun gun is a stevens tube fed bolt action, open sights. it'll drill holes in cans, and the occasional gopher, all day. as long as u use .22 shorts, otherwise it wont feed. i hav another one on the way: a stevens favorite. i think its a "ladies rifle." as far as i can tell, its just a cheap target rifle.
  2. TheKingsOutlaw

TheKingsOutlaw New Member

I've only used it for "plinkin'" and small game hunting, but I have an antique Mossberg Single-shot bolt-action 22 LR. It has a peep (aperture) sight and is incredibly accurate! I wouldn't trade it for any other 22.

Tim
  3. jsimmons3

jsimmons3 New Member

Well, I have no knowledge of anything rimfire that was made much before 2007, and I don't collect or even "accumulate". I got into rimfire for the express purpose of silhouette competition, and so far I have CZ-452 Silhouette for hunter class matches, and a Henry H001T (on the way as a Christmas gift) for cowboy matches. I suspect the Henry will be the favorite of the two.
  4. mule73

mule73 New Member

Marlin Glenfield model 60 w 3x9x40 Tasco. Cheap, and more fun than a barrel o' monkeys.
  5. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I'm not too hard to please -- the Ruger 10/22. :)
  6. bmac1911

bmac1911 New Member

First post here :)

Favorite .22?

Handgun: S&W 41, I have two of them - they are sooo sweet. It's funny though, I have one that's pretty old, I'd say about 15/20+ years. The other I bought brand new a couple of months ago...the older one is a 2" @ 50 tack driver, the new one needs some work :) but this was a rifle topic, LOL.

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 - what can I say? It's the poop :)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Have a 1970's 41 S&W, with the 5.5" heavy and 7.375" Standard weight barrels.:) And like bmac1911 said its sub 2" at 50 yds.:D Rifles, heavy 52D Winchester, sporting CZ 452 Lux, as both are extremely accurate for their jobs. JMHO Kirk:D
  8. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

Browning Buckmark pistol, and several favorite rifles. The Winchester Model 52C, a Ruger 10-22 sporter with a Hart barrel, a CZ 452 American, and a Suhl Target rifle are my favorite rifles.

Don
  9. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Ruger 10/.22 with a bit of work...
  10. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I bought my son a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 in 1982 when he was 12 years of age. He just told me he was going to trade it in for a 30-06. It's in absolute perfect condition, not so much as a ding in the stock - so like a good father - I took it back.

Even so I'm still going to buy myself a bolt-action for Christmas; either a Savage Rimfire Classic or a CZ American with the the set-trigger.

Got to go now ... my son is knocking on the front door and I have to release the hounds.
  11. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

I'm sure to be an odd man out here...I can live with that. I've got a Model 94 Winchester, both if 22 LR and 30/30, but I am still partial to my little ol' Savage Sporter.
  12. justdoug

justdoug New Member

Geeze, how did I over look this one? Boy, I gotta bunch of favorites.
    The first .22 I ever shot: Dads Marlin 36
    Another favorite: Dads 29th Anniversary Marlin 36
    Oh, Dads Winchester 1894 that he almost gave to me until my brother told him how much it was worth.
    The first rifle my wife bought fo me - a Savage 64.
    The AAA Grade Browning at the local shop -_- $1149:(
    My brothers bolt action Marlin that I shot that Marlboro with.
    The pink Crickett that my daugther just got for Christmas and the pink 10/22 that other daugther is about to get.
    Then there's my stainless 10/22 - sure is fun.

That too many?
  13. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

My favorite used to be my Marlin Glenfield Model 25 until my son annexed it. It was very accurate. Been without one for a couple of years until my wife surprised me with a Charles Daly Zastasa for Christmas, haven't had a chance to fire it yet but a couple of people that have one tell me they are very good rifles.
  14. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

I'm kinda partial to the Marlin 39 (I own a Mountie), and the Italian Weatherby MKXII Deluxe (SN:09XXX)
  15. GOGETTER

GOGETTER New Member

Rossi 62 SAC PUMP SS CARBINE. SWEET LITTLE SHOOTER AND FUN TO PLINK WITH. GENO
  16. BillsVX

BillsVX New Member

Marlin-Glenfield Model 60, 18 shot, tube fed. Bought mine in 1976. Been a great shooter for a long time. Pretty accurate using the Iron sights. Never could afford a decent scope for it so, I made do with the sights that were on it. They haven't failed me yet.:D
  17. Nortranman

Nortranman New Member

Gotta agree with "Taurus 9MM" and others, I really enjoy my Ruger 10/22.
  18. James22

James22 New Member

This is my first posting and have really only been shooting for the last two years

#1 Remington MODEL 12 Pump action, tube magazine with Lyman peep site.
    It was my Grandfather's I never saw him use it but I do not remember a time when it was not in evidence by the window facing the bird feeder. Looking back I always wondered why my dad had problems keeping squirrels off his feeder but Grandpa never had a squirrel near his I think I know now. It was the second gun my daughter shot she went through over 100+ rounds before I realized it and decided I needed to get her something not so sentimental to shoot

#2 SAVAGE MODEL 1909 Pump action, clip magazine with peep site. It was my Grandfathers when he was a young one. I had never seen it until two years ago. It was as filthy as his Remington was clean. I actually thought he had worn out the rifling in the first six inches of the barrel until I used shooters choice 4 times and removed enough lead to make a bullet or two. The stock was cracked were it goes around the action and triangular piece was gone. Having read one book on gun smithing I felt I could fix it up. Found out that epoxy is great stuff but only if you get rid of all the wood soaked oil. Managed to replace the missing piece with walnut from a tree that my father cut down out of my father in law's back yard 20 years ago. Had to replace more wood on the inside of the stock than the repair outside because it was just too oily. By the time I had a solid stock and had shaped and filed it so the action was solid I was not surprised that the triangular piece had cracked and been lost their is less than a 1/8" of wood in that section. It shoots great but will only be shot occasionally with low velocity amo.

#3 Remington TARGETMASTER MODEL 41 Bolt action open sights. The gun my father-in-law learned to shoot with and the first gun my daughter fired. Great simple gun to teach her how to shoot safely.

#4 SAVAGE MARK II bolt action open sites but ready for a scope. My daughters gun, brand new and has already tasted over 500+ rounds. I got a bolt action because she goes through amo fast. Does anyone think a scope will slow her down and what would be a good scope for her gun?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  19. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

#1....Thompson Center R-55 Sporter
    #2....Ruger 10/22T
  20. Altrisk

Altrisk New Member

I have one .22 LR. Here in South Africa it's very difficult to get a license for a .22LR mainly because people used it in the past to shoot all sorts of animals that the little.22 LR did not kill reliably.

I have an Anschutz 1420 sporter that I use with a Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40 for silhoette shooting and hunting springhares at night. My best is 18 springhares on one night. The Kalahari is littered with these "small kangaroos" and we give it to the local blacks to eat. (They eat everything!)

This rifle will put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 metres and shoots 1/2 MOA groups at 100m (if there is no wind)

As our only .22LR ammo manufacturer closed down last year, I now have to rely on imported ammo. I currently use RWS Geco from germany, but they are not as good as what I was used to. Any suggestions? I can get CCI and Eley here, but its very expensive.