whats your favorite .40?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by csimp3, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I don't own one, and don't know anyone who does. However, I have read many favorable reviews. Taurus has come a long way in a short period of time. I like to call them the Hyundai of the gun industry. A decade ago, they made crap. Today, they have all the big name gun manufacturers losing sleep because they're making high quality products at absurdly low prices.

Take my most recent gun purchase as an example. I bought a Taurus PT 1911 for a mere $515.00. Read the reviews of this gun and its competitors, compare features, go shoot one for yourself, and then look at the price again. It's simply amazing what Taurus is doing. You can barely buy a quality 1911 from a competitive maufacturer for less than $1000.00.

I say, go to a range and rent one for a few hours. Put a box of ammo through it and see how much you like it. A highly rated gun, or even one that offer tremndous valus is of little concern if you don't enjoy shooting it.

Pat Hurley
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Csimp the 24/7 is a decent gun
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Buy a used "Police trade in"

Best deals around.

S&W Auto
    Beretta Auto.......and a few glocks now and then.

Example: S&W5904 15 shot 9mm $325.00
    S&W4043 40cal 11 shot $355.00
    shop til ya drop, buyers are liars................lol

LTS
  4. armabill

armabill Member

Browning High Power.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'm no fan of .40 cal but I've owned a few.

Glock 22 - good service pistol but that's all.
    Browning Hi-Power - Accurate and reliable.

Then there was my Open Class IPSC race gun. Built on an SV frame.

The 1911 is a good platform for a .40 cal pistol but has "sharper" recoil than a .45 acp.

JMHO
  6. stetson

stetson New Member

Glock 22 was the first Glock in my house followed by a model 17.Can't beat
    them period!
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Beretta 96, got one and it works. They have DA/SA capability with a de-cock safety and they weigh enough to be useful empty. You don't end up with the barrel pointing up and down after shooting either because of the weight.
  8. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

I've got a Glock 27 and a 23. The 27 is too small for me to shoot well, but the 23 rocks. I have a LaserMax internal laser in it and a rubber slip-over grip. About 15 extra mags. No New York trigger pull for me. Easily get several out the tube before a 1911 owner gets the safety to "fire"
    :)
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

1911 with a 400 CorBon barrel. easy to change back & forth to 45 ACP. And it's all STEEL! No tupperware allowed in my safe.
  10. shooter

shooter New Member

im hoping it will be a Sig P229..cause thats the gun i want lol
  11. csimp3

csimp3 New Member

sweet, i did it today, i ordered a 24/7 pro in a .40 cal, should have it mid next week!
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Congrats on the purchase Csimp.
    Make sure you get us pics and a range report.
  13. csimp3

csimp3 New Member

will do, thanks
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Plano came close to saying it all: "What will a .40 do that a .45 will not, at half the chamber pressure?".
    If I had to 'downsize', the .400 CorBon, a '.357 Sig', on Steroids, based on the .45 ACP case, would be my choice, and the 1911 Platform, it's home!
    Presently, my only .40's are long guns, single shots, at that, in .405 Win, and 40-50, and 40-70, Sharps BN.
    Efficient caliber, but, for a pistol, excepting the CorBon, and the 10mm, in original loadings, a waste of time, and money, as previous chamberings for the same arms gave better terminal results.
    I ask only one question, before the furor begins; in your experience, had you shot a .45, and well, could you have improved on the results, had you a smaller (.40) pistol???
    My 1911's are all old and dear friends, the kinda friends one can count on; all,work the same way, and feel pretty much the same, in my hands, so 'no light' situations are almost a 'no brainer'- "point your finger, pull the trigger, threat goes away", simple response to ugly inputs, IMHO.
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like my MiniFirestorm .40. and my brother likes his too. The shop I bought mine at had already sold eight of them to local Sheriffs for off duty carry pieces so that was good enough for me to get one six years ago. It was a bit rough at first but smoothed out just fine. They're really quite affordable too. If I remember right, I only had to give $306 for it then and I don't think they're much more expensive now.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008