What's your favorite copper remover...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ECC, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ECC

ECC New Member

I'm breaking a new barrel in and last night I spent over 3 hours cleaning after the third shot (cleaned between the first two, too) and still did not get all of the copper out :mad: Right now I'm using a combination of Shooters Choice, Hopps #9, Sweets 7.62, and Blue wonder. At this rate it's going to take me a month just to break the barrel in. All input will be appreciated! :)
  2. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Leave the Blue Wonder soak over nite! It will come out
  3. dheffley

dheffley New Member

I agree with Pa' 100% on this one! ;)
  4. ECC

ECC New Member

Are you sure this won't hurt the barrel??? I open to any and all ideas at this point. :confused: The only problem is that this barrel break in process could be anywhere from 30-100 rounds with cleaning between every shot for the first 20-30 and then 3 shot groups until it's done. I've got to figure out a way to speed up this process. :(
  5. AlleninAlaska

AlleninAlaska New Member

I use Barnes CR-10.
  6. geezler

geezler New Member

Here ya go! I swiped this fer ya!

[​IMG]
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

My wife, just look in my pockets and you'll see every red cent cleanly removed! :eek:
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

TRAP55 My wife is what I use also but then someone toldher that she should make me clean my own guns. :D :D
  9. Jay

Jay New Member

I've started using the "Wipeout" foam bore cleaner. Ad claims were substantial, but for me the stuff works as advertised. I left some on a piece of carbon steel, and some on a piece of stainless for four days, with no damage, discoloration of either steel. Compared it by putting a dab of it on a piece of copper, along with another popular copper solvent, and the Wipeout could be seen to work almost instantly, where it was 10 minutes or more for the solvent. NO smell......NO ammonia. When I finish shooting, I shoot some in the bore(s)..... get home and run a patch or two, followed by some oil and I'm finished. Has not affected my wood, or synthetic stocks, either.

Wipeout foaming cleaner
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  10. Woodman

Woodman New Member

The Philadelphia crackheads.
    They cut the copper out of a vacent rowhouse, and the new owner needs, naturally, a re-pipe :D
  11. bsally1

bsally1 New Member

I too have found Blue Wonder to work best. Smells better than Hoppes too! But, it does need to soak for atleast 5 minutes. The sludge that comes out is nasty.
  12. Rugster

Rugster New Member

I have used it all over the yrs with the exception of Blue wonder,when it became available I didnt need it.The best all around solvent Ive found is Midway Uni-Solve.When we took our class on the AR-15 the Instructor told us not to do anything to the barrel until accuracy begins to suffer other than run three patches of Break Free (CLP)Cleaner,Lubricant,Protector through the barrel.He also said when accuracy begins to suffer to use (CLP) and a Brush to scrub the copper etc from the barrel.I cant imagine me doing this with my other Rifles,but I am going to continue doing my AR-15's that way.Its easy to over clean a firearm and do more harm than good.But Im the type person who cant stand a dirty gun.Just my 2 cents!

Best!!
  13. MVP

MVP New Member

I'm still useing Butch's Bore Shine... Is that stuff outdated already? :eek:
    It works great for me :)
  14. toolmaniam

toolmaniam New Member

Blue Wonder works wonders. :)