What's your favorite Pin Gun ???

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

shooter45 us
    (3/9/01 8:48:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What's your favorite Pin Gun ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks like a few of you shoot Bowling Pin Matches . What's your favorite pistol to shoot these matches.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/9/01 9:56:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What's your favorite Pin Gun ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My favorite is my Colt 70 series MKIV 45acp but just for
    kicks I have been testing my Double Eagle.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

Bob of St Louis
    (3/9/01 11:51:11 am)
    A ducksfoot pistol. Take out a lot of pins at once!

Alphamale
    (3/9/01 12:09:33 pm)
    Weeeellll, I use a Glock 21, a Glock 27, Ruger P94, Blackhawk in .357. Anything I can get my grubby paws around. Don't shoot for money, just to have fun. If I ever get to the stage of wanting to do it for the money, maybe a custom .45 built on an STI frame.
    Does anyone have experience with an STI gun?
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Edited by: Alphamale at: 3/9/01 12:10:52 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/9/01 9:02:05 pm)
    Alph,

I don't personally but I have heard exellent reprts on them.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

TYRVR
    (3/9/01 10:36:46 pm)
    Shot some back in the 80's, used A cobbled up Essex/Gold Cup, with A Aimpoint, worked well, but I lost interest in the game, and sold the Gun, I have owned A STI in .40, and it was A piece of Heaven! Smooth & Accurate, only nit picking I have, was on long strings of fire, the weight transferrence was noticeable as the magazine became depleted,

shooter45 us
    (3/10/01 12:32:31 am)
    Alphamale , I just finished building an STI pistol. Not 100% STI. I did use a SVI receiver since I had one. It shoots well. I still have to adj. the C-More sight and a few bugs to work out. Still got 2 weeks before my 1st. IPSC Open Class match. I have also shot a few STI guns and like them.
    The Firearms Forum

Bob In St Louis
    (3/10/01 10:22:10 am)
    Hey - Whoopdedo says throw away your 45 and just use a 22. Much better than a 45. What a moron.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Alphamale
    (3/10/01 1:33:53 pm)
    Hey thanks for the info/thoughts guys I've heard a lot of good things about STI, just have never found one to hold/shoot.
    When the money comes around, think I'm gonna gets me one. Thanks for the input.
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Xracer
    (3/11/01 10:04:55 am)
    I've shot a lot of "pin" matches (and won a few), and don't think I ever saw one that was won by anything other than .45ACP.

My bowling pin gun is one I built some years ago.....

Essex frame, Remington slide (fitted & lapped to frame), National Match trigger, Mk. IV Series '70 NM barrel & matching collet bushing, MMC adjustable sights, long tang grip safety, Pachmayr grips & flat mainspring housing, enlarged ejection port, polished feed ramp, and a bunch of recoil springs (matched to whatever load I'm using).

The load you use is very important also. Probably more matches have been won using standard GI Ball Ammo than any other, but my favorite was a load I worked up using a 250 gr. Kieth type (originally intended for .45LC) bullet, cast from wheel weights, 6.3 gr Unique. It gave me about 720 fps, and really worked well.

Remember, big, fat & slow works much better that light & fast........just knocking 'em down hurts, not helps! Ya gotta clear the table.

shooter45 us
    (3/11/01 10:57:06 am)
    Xracer , I like the idea of the 250 gr. bullet. I've never tried that but I think I will. Do you remember the OAL of the loaded bullet ? I just recieved my S&W 686 PPC gun. I had it built at Ace Systems in S Carolina. Ron Powers Grand master Barrel w/ heavy vented underlug, Tasco PDP 5 red dot sight and the smoothest , lightest action job I've ever seen on a revolver. I'm thinking about changing the grips, I just don't know what kind yet. The stock Houge grips just don't feel right in my hand. Maybe I'm just too used to the 1911 frame . I have won pin matches with .45 and .40 S&W cal, but I may try the .357. Never know til you try.

Xracer
    (3/11/01 11:58:05 am)
    Sorry Shooter.....I don't remember the OAL, it's been quite a while. Be aware though, that a Keith type bullet is very square nosed and might require a radiused and polished feed ramp to feed reliably.....that's what I had to do on my gun.

Good Luck!

pshooter1
    (1/13/02 7:30:27 am)
    Any one of my guns that i have at the range that day!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/14/02 1:11:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What's your favorite Pin Gun ???
    Welcome Aboard pshooter1!

Feel free to join us in any of the forums!

Glad you made it!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/14/02 8:18:35 am)
    Howdy PShooter... and welcome to The Firearms Forum

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/14/02 9:35:20 am)
    Welcome PShooter. Step up to the line, and start knockin' those pins!

warpig883
    (1/14/02 9:00:03 pm)
    Welcome Pshooter1.

I like to shoot them with my Garand.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

cal414
    (2/22/02 12:43:11 pm)
    "Hey - Whoopdedo says throw away your 45 and just use a 22. Much better than a 45. What a moron."

HUH? I used to shoot pin matches here in Virgina beach every week. The guy that used to win almost every week used a Ruger .22 lr w/ a 8 " bbl. As long as he hit the pins top center all was well. If they didn't fall off the table, he had a hard time "pushing" them off with the little .22. The guy used to take 1st or 2nd every week! Moron? I think not.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/11/02 6:54:58 pm)
    Hey, its a 22! A Glock 22! LMAO!!!

Edited by: cal414 at: 9/11/02 7:55:43 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/12/02 8:48:56 am)
    Love the shooting stance on those trophys. Haven't seen anything like that since the '50's!

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/20/02 9:10:52 pm)
    What? You mean you don't shoot that way?
    Only sissy's and girls use two hands! [ ]

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/2/02 2:02:53 am)
    love that Bullseye shootin'

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/5/02 10:03:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del favorite pin gun
    #1. 44mag, 240gr JHP, 17gr Blue Dot.
    #2. 50AE, 325gr JHP, 32gr H110.
    #3. 45/70, 360gr Molly Flat Point.

Havent had to buy toothpicks in years.

loader44.

Devin and his Ruger
    (1/5/03 11:17:00 pm)
    You do know that 2nd place is the first loser right Cal??

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 9:02:28 am)
    equals, 2 first place