The Firearms Forum banner

What's your favorite way to make GRILLED CHEESE? Bread? cheese? Hot sauce? Tomato? Meat? Other?

9K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  tedwitt 
#1 ·
What's your favorite way to make GRILLED CHEESE? Bread? cheese? Hot sauce? Tomato? Meat? Other?

OH grilled cheese, oh yeah! My wife, the little cook just makes them perfect! Just golden brown enough, butters all four sides of the bread. One of my favorites is just a good mild cheddar on white bread -but- I love many other variations including the old ham & cheese maybe a good Polish or Kosher dill pickle on the side?

Your favorites and side dishes?

#4 ·
Well I got hungry for a To-cheese sandwich so the wife made us both one for a midnight snack....delicious!

Schwebel's whole grain white bread buttered on all four sides with some mild creamy cheddar, oh yeah. :D

Now other variations with wheat, french bread, Italian bread, cold garden tomatoes and tabasco, hot or medium hungarian peppers, any number of cheeses like swiss, colby, cojack, Monterray, sharp cheddar and others. OH ever had a Wisconsin brick cheese toasted? It's been years for me but I used to love 'em.

#7 ·
It's gotta be sourdough for me, wrapped around a slice of Tillamook sharp cheddar, grilled to a golden brown. Soup works great for a side, but it isn't really necessary.:)

Reactions: tedwitt
#10 ·
Grilled cheese is a staple here. We use whole wheat with American cheese now days. I've tried lots of different cheese, but American melts better than most. Try a little picante sauce, or some jalapeno peppers. Just plain ole Louisiana hot sauce works for me too!

#12 ·
Dill pickles on the side here. The wife is funny, she orders extra pickles on her hamburgers, but don't want any with her grilled cheese?:rolleyes:

#13 ·
This entire thread is confusing.

First, how can you butter "all four sides" of bread. It either had two sides - front and back - or six sides - front, back, and four edges. I can't visualize "four sides" of a slice of bread.

Second, a grilled cheese sammich is cheese and bread. If you put anything else on it, it's not "grilled cheese".

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with a "grilled ham and cheese" or a "grilled cheese and tomato" or any other variation. But if you put anything on a cheese sammich besides CHEESE, it becomes a "cheese and WHATEVER" sammich.

I remember, some board, this guy going on about how wonderful the BLT he made was. He put ham and turkey on it, along with the bacon, lettuce and tomato. Well, sorry, but that's not a BLT, that's a club. Or if you put cheese on a hamburger, it's no longer a hamburger. It's a cheeseburger.

Or if you put Hershey's syrup into a glass of milk, it's no longer "milk", it's "chocolate milk".

So, peppers or pickles or bacon or ham or tomatoes or whatever. Eat it on the side and you still have a grilled cheese sammich. Put it ON the sammich, and you don't.

Al(y'all know, deep in your hearts, I'm right about this)po

#20 · (Edited)
This entire thread is confusing.

First, how can you butter "all four sides" of bread. It either had two sides - front and back - or six sides - front, back, and four edges. I can't visualize "four sides" of a slice of bread.........Al(y'all know, deep in your hearts, I'm right about this)po
Oh the little lady read all of our posts and was impressed -and- buttering all four sides on the two slices of bread goes like this, she butters the outside of the bread that hits the griddle and also puts a very little spread of butter on the inside of the bread before putting the cheese on, gives it a really subtle extra cheesy, buttery delicious taste.

Oh her favorite GC or toasted cheese sandwich is the above with a medium slice of tomato...not too thick so it doesn't slide. And with her homemade tomato basil soup on the side, oh yeah!

Basically there's no wrong way to make your GC sandwich. :)

#15 ·
White bread and American cheese, I like it old school style.

Reactions: tedwitt
#16 ·
I have to side with Alpo on this one. Walk into a McDonalds and order a hamburger. They claim that it's a juicy 100% beef patty simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper, tangy pickles, minced onions, ketchup and mustard. That's all you get! So, is that really a hamburger? IMHO, a grilled cheese is just that, bread, with cheese, and grilled to perfection. Add beef, or pork, to a bean burrito, and it's no longer a bean burrito.:D

#17 ·
Well you can make a plain GRILLED CHEESE, ummm had one last night, noting wrong with that.
Or you can have a GRILLED CHEESE "WITH", nothing wrong there either.

It's up to the individual....but a GC with a cold garden tomato, oh yeah! Or GC with hungarian pepper, tangy good! Life is too short not to try new things. ENJOY!

#18 ·
Heck yeah! Make em any way you want it, and I do from time to time. If it looks good, eat it!

#22 ·
Oh it is, I like to take the steaming hot cheese sandwich, open it up and put a cold (or room temperature) garden tomato in it and dive in. The hot & cold contrast and just good taste is awesome. Geezzz I get hungry just thinking about it!

#25 ·
Yeah guys that's my sweetie's favorite way to eat a GC sandwich, also the tomato basil soup on the side. Now I'll go plain or hungarian peppers or hot peppers or a splash of tabasco sauce but whatever way you like it it's a quick, relatively cheap lunch or supper....or snack! :)

#26 ·
Grilled American cheese with a bit of mustard. But, sometimes I'll add meat. Roast beef, beef bologna or smoked ham. With a side of homemade tomato soup and cheese crackers.

#27 ·
Long ago I used mustard, then switched to occasionally Hellman's Light Mayo now I like a plain GC or what's in the frig, I guess there is no wrong way to enjoy a GC sandwich -and- talking about them makes me hungry for one! :)

#29 ·
Grilled cheese=basic for me
Plain soft white bread covered generously with REAL butter, regular American cheese and grilled crispy but not to dark. My those go down easy...
Oh yeah I was an American cheese guy but lately got hooked on the real mild cheddar, mmm mmm mmm. And of course just golden brown, crispy NEVER burned, wife does it great. (Isn't it nice when someone makes a sandwich for you, I occasionally make hers for lunch at work.)

#30 ·
Have to share this pic here, too.

Grilled Ham and Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Mustard

#31 ·

OH grilled cheese, oh yeah! My wife, the little cook just makes them perfect! Just golden brown enough, butters all four sides of the bread. One of my favorites is just a good mild cheddar on white bread -but- I love many other variations including the old ham & cheese maybe a good Polish or Kosher dill pickle on the side?

Your favorites and side dishes?
if i make it for my wife ( no eating restrictions unlike me.. )

then thick white bread, toasted lightly, then buttered both sides, 3 pieces american cheese, a hint of butter between slices. toast till golden brown and just sagging at edges.

server with a side of baby gerkin sweet pickles.. or bread and butter chips. cut diagonal to make 4 finger sanwiches, and a toothpick for the pickles!

#33 ·
......buttered both sides, 3 pieces american cheese, a hint of butter between slices. toast till golden brown and just sagging at edges........server with a side of baby gerkin sweet pickles.. or bread and butter chips. cut diagonal to make 4 finger sanwiches, and a toothpick for the pickles!
OMG that's my wife's pick, sweet & sour or baby gerkins....now I'm a Polish or Koser Dill pickle on the side guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.