What's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/3/02 2:42:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What's Your Favorite?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone is partial to their own brand of hunting knife and mine for the most part has been Buck knifes, but I am starting to get interested in Marble Knives. Any of you hunters care to share your choices?
    cointoss2

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 4:40:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What's Your Favorite?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like Buck's also.....but they seem to "lose easily" for me.

My favorite though, is an old "Uncle Henry" I've had for many, many years. It's beat and battered, and sheath is held together with electrical tape......but it holds a nice edge, and it's comfortable, like an old pair of sneakers.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/3/02 5:05:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What's Your Favorite?
    My favorite isn't a hunting knife, but anyway it would
    probably be more than one, more likely 3, one being
    a gerber, a USN Seal knife and a Boker.

It's hard to say because I really like them all!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 5:42:50 pm)
    I had an old Sears craftsman for years, broke the blade in half being stupid. Took it in they gave me a Buck...just didnt seem the same...and no craftsman warranty either.

I think the best leatherman type multi-tool made is the Gerber. Mine is tough and holds an edge too. I had a close look at the Browning one and was unimpressed...talk about paying for a name.

Nowadays I favor an Uncle Henry folding hunter. That schrade just keeps an edge. I gutted my last elk out with a Herters Improved Bowie I had since I was 12. Anyone had one longer than that??? Just wondering. swede
    Wyoming Swede

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/3/02 6:39:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I should also mention that the full sized original
    swiss army knife is a favorite too, I had one og
    these with the stag handle and full size fork &
    spoon and all the other goodies on it when I
    was a kid, it had gotten lost and for years I
    was trying to find another and my cousin found
    one and sent it too me, after a little cleaning up
    as far as some rust, it cleaned up pretty nice.

I'd like to get another if anyone knows of any
    for sale in the future.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 6:57:20 pm)
    Well my favorite....is the three bladed stockman (Old Timer) the old real carbon steel ones. Have two, small and medium. The small one has clean a many a squirrel and catfish. The medium on everything else. But also have a new fondness for Cold Steels line now, been using them for the last 8 years or so. The Master hunter (Carbon Steel) that is one mean and tough fixed blade for medium/large game, sharp as a straight razor and holds it forever. The other one is a small sort of neck knife (para-edge) this is a combo edge, 1" of smooth blade and 1/2" of serated at the hilt end. Great finger knife, also retaining it`s edge forever. This is a small gamers dream, but no longer made.

Fighting Knife: Cold Steel Magnum Tanto II or Stainless Bush-Ranger. If you haven`t tried this line of knife`s.....you are missing the boat. No knife has ever challenged their claim and won....some won`t even accept their standing high dollar reward challenge. "Beat Us" Regards LTS

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 8:09:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I have a few - none are really my favorites.

Love my bucks, enjoy my Ka-Bar but am totally in love with the Gerber Tye gave me last year.

Course I can't really carry any of those with me.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/3/02 9:50:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Swede, I have had a Gerber and after pinching my fingers and palm several times I gave it to one of the neighbor kids.

I have a Leatherman wave and do not even carry it. I keep going back to my original Leatherman I bought in 1988.

However the Leatherman Supertool is a damn fine pick also.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 8:21:15 am)
    Piggy...I agree on the hand pinching at times, but the gerber keeps a better edge. I have a superleatherman somewhere that I like...disappeared in one of our moves. It will turn up again, probably the day after I get disgusted and buy another one. LOL swede
    Wyoming Swede

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/02 4:37:58 pm)
    I agree with LTS on alot of his post, I love the Cold Steel line...I hope to pick up a Recon Scout one day...

But, my favorite knive for hunting, right now would have to be my Rigid Skinner, ~dosen't look as nice as my CaseXX fixed blade stag...but, the sucker is all a man would need in any situation in my opinion...Nice weight to it, holds a nice edge, and you just dont see 'em every day.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/13/02 11:12:07 am)
    That's a tough question... I have several knives that I like so well. I have them laying around for something a little as opening a letter. A 3-blade stag handled Kissing Crane, here next to my computer. Some of the others I like really well are my Stag handled Puma Earl (lock blade) I've had since 1979, my Stag handled Hubertus switch-blade. As to carry, I don't leave home without my Micro Leatherman. It's a handy and compact tool. I retired my original Leatherman for the Leatherman Supertool.
    As my hunting knife I have the Neopreen handled Buck w/gut hook.

I have also have an old "Western" stag handled Bowie. The knife has a haunting past, that I'd like to share. Maybe another time.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/13/02 6:02:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Are the Spec-Plus knives any good, such as their
    Marine Combat folder?

TFF VMBB Email Tac

z537z
    (2/8/03 1:56:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del agreed
    I have a Cold Steel Voyager Tanto. It's by far one of the best I've seen, and likely the best for the buck.

These things are big, light and sharp as hell. Outclasses many knives that are more expensive, and you'll have a hard time dulling up AUS8 steel.

I'd reccomend one to everyone having tried many.

_z

sig230
    (2/8/03 9:14:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: agreed
    I'm still really partial to the Russell Green River knives for something to use in the field. They sure aren't pretty and the high carbon steel certainly takes a little more work and is going to stain, but nothing, none of the new metals will take a better edge or be as easy to sharpen. I have some old skinners that are pushing a hundred years old and still going strong. One of my favorite camp knives is a new Green River.

My favorite Camp Bowie is this one that Ron Leuchen of Little Hen Knives made for me.

Aslan is not a Tame Lion

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 9:43:38 pm)
    I'll have to say my favorite is my original Bo Randall BushMaster. If you want specs, read the bio book on him. The only thing is, they claimed I was in Granite Mountain, Arkansas, when I was actually in Alaska.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory
  2. SFsc616171

SFsc616171 New Member

Two:

1. USAF Pilot's Survival Knife (short Kabar blade design).

2. Schrade Sharpfinger. Have the 'newer' (not stamped USA); HAD first year Antelope model, but move and family business ended that.