The Firearms Forum banner

Wheel Guns in 45acp?

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Rick O'Shay 
#1 ·
Anyone have or had one? I think I need one:D

G
#2 ·
I had the Colt's 1917 for many years, before it was stolen. I loved it and would like to have another. Unfortunately, I can't afford today's prices.

The 1917 used half-moon clips for ACP or .45 AutoRim cartridges without the clips. The AutoRim cartridges were a bit more powerful than the ACP and were a bit easier to reload.

Good luck.

Pops

#3 ·
I've had several but the last one I had I got at a Pawn Shop and it had a bulged chamber so I think some of the old ones may not hold up to the 230gr bullets that are common today. Back around the turn of the 20th Century the 45 ACP rounds were only 200gr and had less punch. Just be careful with the old ones.

#4 ·
I had me a 625. I still have sellers remorse for getting rid of it. it was a fantastic shootn wheelie. i used both auto rim brass and moonclipped acp rounds in it and it shot well with both... sigh:(

#7 ·
I have gone through stages in my life where I will get one and then wonder why I did it. I have only shot auto rim in any of them I have had and I much prefer the 45 Colt over the auto rim. Smith has made a few different guns over the last 30 years in 45 Colt inluding the model 625 but they are hard to find. They once made one called the model of 1989 in 45Colt with a non fluted cylinder and 5" barrel. I had one and like a dummy I traded it off.

Ron

#8 ·
Uberti 1871 Open Top Early Model Navy Revolver
Smith & Wesson 22 Revolver SM150186
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 Classic Revolver
Smith & Wesson Model 325 Nightguard Revolver
Smith & Wesson Model 325 Thunder Ranch Revolver
Smith & Wesson Model 625 JM Revolver

Just to name a few.

#9 ·
I run a 5 inch S&W 625 in USPSA revolver division and Icore competition.
Full moon clips, CR speed holster, North Mountain moonclip holder.
Fun gun--but I spend half my time reloading!
But at least my friend you dont spend any time chasing brass on your hands and knees;)

#10 ·
But at least my friend you dont spend any time chasing brass on your hands and knees;)
:D:D:D Got a good point there!

Ruger has the option of the 45acp cylinder for the Vaquero; Got to shoot it a couple of weeks ago, fine shooting wheelie!

#12 ·
Lemme give you a couple of reasons.

I'll admit to cheaper ammo, as I can load 45 ACP to the same ballistics as 45 Colt, using less powder (because of the shorter case), thereby saving money, and 45 ACP brass is also cheaper than 45 Colt brass.

I can load bullets that will not work in my 1911, and they work fine in the revolvers.

Because of the shorter case, the ejector stroke will completely remove the empties from the cylinder, unlike with your normal 38 special/357/44/45 Colt revolver.

45ACP in a full moon clip is the absolutely fastest revolver reload there is.

Exactly what round is "better" than a 45 ACP? In what way is it better? For plinking at tin cans, a 22 is better. For hunting Kodiak Bear a 454 Casull is better. But just "better"? That doesn't make sense.

#14 ·
Well, you've already given two rounds that are better thatn the .45 ACP. You can't load your .45 ACP to the same ballistics as my Ruger Bisley Magnum, or my SAA in .44 Special As to ejection, my Colt SAA's ejector rods will bounce the empties out off my wrist. As to fast reloading, I don't worry about gun fights and the need for fast reloading. But my main reason is why waltz when you can rock and roll? Maybe soon they will chamber a revolver in .380 ACP. Think that will sell?

#18 ·
Rick O'Shay. Those are some real cool guns. On your top gun I am real curious if the end of your ejection rod has been skeletonized to slip over the cylinder reataining pin. Also is the writting on the top of the barrel one line or two. It looks like your front sight is dove tailed, yes/no. Enclosed is a picture of one I use to own. The front sight is not dove tailed, it is two lines on top of the barrel and the ejector end has been skeletonozed.

Ron

Attachments

#21 ·
:D:D:D Got a good point there!

Ruger has the option of the 45acp cylinder for the Vaquero; Got to shoot it a couple of weeks ago, fine shooting wheelie!
Went looking for one of these a few yrs back and finally located it.

This is one gun I always enjoy shooting. And since my carry is a .45ACP I went got a carry holster for the Vaquero, also.

Now that I've seen those Colts, I guess I'll be adding one or more of those to the collection. Those are sweet!

#22 ·
Stealthcarry, a 1911 magazine (although, I suppose Glock or Sig, or somebody else's would work) makes a great way to carry spare ammo for a single action 45 ACP. After punching out all the empties, just stick the mag up to the loading gate and thumb 'em in.

#26 · (Edited)
Hi , I am interested in getting a .45 acp cylinder for my .45 LC Ruger Blackhawk, trouble is I did not purchase the convertible model when I bought the revolver. Is it affordable or even possible to buy a .45 acp cylinder for my Blackhawk years after I got the gun? Thanks for your thoughts.
If you look on the Ruger Forum Classifieds they show up there now and then or you could sign up and do a Want To Buy.
You really should check your cylinder on the lengths to make sure you get a match but most times more than often they will fit right in. Just make sure you get the correct one for your gun New Model or Old Model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.