1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

So, I'm a medieval history nut. And a firearms nut. (Sounds like an AA meeting.)
    I just wanted to know if anyone here has experience with some of the (much) older black powder firearms like cannon-lock, wheel lock, and snaphaunce actions. I found a site a while back (Google "The Rifle Shoppe") that offered kits and parts for these. I lust for these but have neither the gunsmith experience nor the budget to attempt a build.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi.
    I'm Terry, and I am a gun nut.
    LOL!
    A flintlock pistol is as far back as I have personal experience with.
    But I am with you; I would really enjoy firing on older system! The noticeable delay experienced in a flintlock would be even greater, I suspect, in the older systems, so they would be a real challenge!
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I mainly shoot flint locks BUT have had the good fortune to have shot firelocks.matchlocks and wheel locks. Of the 2 a match lock (many refer to them as fire locks) are easiest to build and a novice who can do ANY wood working should be able to build one. Now a Wheellock is a horse of a different color. They take as much wood working experience as fl;inters and other fire arms to build. NOW if you want to build one, they come in kits as you stated BUT to build the wheel lock system from scratch is for VERY experienced since back in the day it took experienced wacth makers to make the wheel locl assembly itself. IF really interested in pre0flint lock firearms, check mout
    http://www.nmlra.org
    They have some article on wheel locks and match locks from time to time.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/
    Is the site I'm familiar with. Check out the "Hand Gonne."

Thanks for that link, jj. I like black powder (traditional). That looks like a good site.
  5. Twaits

Twaits Member

6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Oh, now that is just awesome!
    Oddly enough,I'm an ex-sheet metal worker with plans to get a machinist's tech degree and gunsmith certification. Also a medieval historian who loves to use vacations to "live the history."
    Guess what I'll be doing as soon as I can?
    Thanks!
  7. Twaits

Twaits Member

If you do start making one of these you should photo document your progress and post in a thread here. That would be very interesting!
    Good luck!
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Over here you can buy kits of old guns, including, flint, wheel and match locks. I am sure you can get the same in the States.
  9. Twaits

Twaits Member

They still let you guys have wheelocks over there? Isn't the government afraid of crazed citizens running around shooting each other with wheel locks?;)
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sadly, only with an police issued licence. They count as firearms and have to follow the same rules as a centre fire rifle, right down to being kept in an approved steel safe. Quite ridiculous I know, but apparently it helps reduce crime, so that's all right then. :(
  11. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Trust me fellas, if I can EVER get to this level of skill I'll give a tutorial or at least a step-by-step of what I do. If I thought I was close I'd have already have ordered a wheellock kit from TRS.
    I do love Rube Goldberg kinda engineering after all.