Wheel weights and 1911 autos

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

woodcarver
    (3/9/02 8:50:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Wheel weights and 1911 autos
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do any of you have information about cast bullets for 1911autos. Will wheel weights work like in revolvers?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/02 11:53:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Wheel weights and 1911 autos
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel weights worked fine for me when I was able to get them.
    I used them in
    45acp
    44 sp and mag
    30-30
    30 carbine
    7x57
    I have since then aquired 400 lbs of linotype metal.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

nevada paul
    (3/11/02 1:59:18 pm)
    I once bought a ton (literally) of wheel weights from a BigO Tire store. Spent parts of several winters melting them in an electric pot, fluxing them, scraping off the slag and steel clips, and pouring one pound ingots. I ended up with just about 1200 pounds of good clean casting metal. They appear to have about 5% antimony (gives them suitable hardness) and must have a trace of tin ( makes them fill out the moulds better).

I've used them in every caliber from .224 to .454.

In a 45acp, I have an old RCBS mould that throws a nominal 185 grain truncated cone. It has a beveled base, which is important because it allows bullet seating with little or no mouth flaring. I shot thousands of these in a Colt series 70 Gold Cup. I know I use Unique, but I don't remember how much. It's a great plinking load, also killed a few snakes and jackrabbits.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/11/02 2:43:50 pm)
    I use 5.5 to 6.0 grains of unique behind a 230 round nose bullet.
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 5:10:57 pm)
    Wheel weights work fine in .45 autos. I've used them for years.

Be sure to flux well, skim often, keep your mold hot.....and when you get 'em casting well....KEEP GOING!

Red Dwarf
    (3/27/02 1:50:24 am)
    I have always heard you need to add tin and antimony to wheel weight....Any problems with leading the bbl?

WTF did you do with all those steel clips? LOL!

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 2:03:48 am)
    Leading is usuakky only a problem with loads over 1600fps. That's why they make gas checks.