when and where was your !st encounter with the m1 garand

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by keokeboy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

:cool:June of 62 I went to basis training,schofield brks,hawaii ,25 inf got issued a m1 garand as our primary weapon that we had to treat as something that will prolong our life. ten and a half pounds of firepower. hunting wild pigs with a old win 30-30 I thought it was great,until I got my hands on that m1. first time we went to qualify at the range, 75 yds.150 250 after couple m1 thumbs,could nor believe how accurate this rifle was.
  2. oldogy

oldogy New Member

1958. Fort Jackson, SC. I hated the damn thing. Loved the MI Carbine and the 1911 that I carried later.
    oldogy
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am not quite old enough to have carried one in basic, I carried the M-14 in basic. I don't remember the exact time when I first came in contact with it. A friend of mine had one and when I shot it, I fell in love with the thing. I couldn't afford to buy one for several years but when I finally could, I bought one.
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

My father has his from the korean war, still uses it to hunt deer with. Great Rifle and when I can find one that I can afford I will have one too.
  5. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! It happend on Sept. 1979 , Italian Army.
  6. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

My very first exposure to the M-1 Garand was in '66 in conjunction with a small unit combat training field exercise at Ft. Knox, KY. It was during the KY late spring rainy (monsoon) season and we all got totally embedded in the Ft. Knox red clay mud. If your shoe lace got loose during the exercise, the mud would suck your combat boot right off your foot. I to this day distinctly remember charging up a steep red clay mud hill in the pouring rain, stepping on the front edge of my poncho and falling forward on my face burying my M-1 Garand a full 8" deep in the red mud. I was not at all alone in that regard that day. It was one of those military 'object lesson' days for our platoon. At the end of the day (9 PM) we stripped ourselves and the Garands and took them in big piles of pieces parts into the steaming hot shower in the barracks. After which we dried all of the parts, randomly grabbed a hand full of necessary ones and reassembled our rifles. To my surprise those totally randomly reassembled M-1 Garands still worked like a champ. The M-1 Garand is a truly amazing old battle rifle.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

June 1958 at Fort Chafee Arkansas. i loved it then as well as now. i have no use for the m1 carbine. i qualified with the carbine, the 45 pistol, the 45 grease gun, the 1919 machine gun. if going into battle will take a Garand over all of them.

bill
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

July or August 1959, USN Boot Camp San Diego. We only got the Garand for Qual firing. Being Navy our drill rifles were M1903A3s. As I remember they had the front sight blade removed. I can't remember if the rear sight was gone also. The bore had a wooden dowel plugging it.
    As I said, drill rifles for learning the Manual of Arms, marching, etc.
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

1961 Naval Station Key West

Beach Patrol waiting for the Cubans
  10. fas111

fas111 New Member

NYARNG 1965-1970
  11. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

At the Flemington, NJ Fair Grounds, circa 1957-8. The local Guard unit always had a display and permitted everyone to handle Garands, Carbines, BARs, etc. I was shown how to open and close the bolt, (without getting the M-1 thumb). What I remembered most was its weight, since I must have weighed all of 100 lbs at the time....I could barely lift the BAR as I recall.....

Can you imagine this today !! ??? >MW
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

1959, Fort Leonard wood Mo. Qualified all the way out to 600 yards. Later qualified on the M1 and M2 carbine, 50 and 30 cal Browning and even the 3.5 rocket launcher. Got to RVN the first time in 1966, they handed me a M-14 with a selector switch. I was able to break it down only because of my familiarity with the M1 Garand. Carried that M14 a month before I got a chance to fire it, damn thing had a broken firing pin. By the way, when folks talk about the M14 being hard to control in full auto, they are not bird turding.:)
  13. kr6ng

kr6ng New Member

1955 in a short lived ROTC stint, 1956 Ft Jackson SC basic training.
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sort of interesting. When I was in college, a friend and classmate was in the Marine reserve and was the armorer at the local reserve center. I used to go in with him sometimes on weekends and help clean and maintain the weapons.

After I graduated, I volunteered for the draft (1955) and went to basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC. We were issued M1 rifles, given quick field strip instructions and told to take them down and clean them. So I did. When the platoon sergeant saw all those little pieces from the bolt and trigger group, he about had a fit. When I put them all back together, he didn't know what to make of a raw draftee who could do that.

Jim
  15. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

It was September 1967, University of Southern Mississippi ROTC. 1800 men in the Brigade; at least 1400 plus me had to clean our issued M1 every week and drill with it every Wednesday. It was great. Never got to shoot it because we changed to M14s the next year and qualified with them at Summer Camp. Issued M16s on active duty. Finally got to shoot my own M1 bought at the CMP in Anniston, AL. What a feeling of nostalgia.