when and where was your !st encounter with the m1 garand

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by keokeboy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

OMG.....

Some of you guys were handling the M1 Garand before I was born!!! :eek:

At any rate.... I went to a DCM meet in 1991 (now the CMP) qualified and purchased one for 165.00 American (plus shipping), about 8 months later it came in the US Mail. Still have it, barrel date of May 44, nice rifle, I can see why we won WWII. The stock was a bit ruff so I refinished it and it turned out really nice. One of the best shooting rifles that I have, would not trade for love or money. A great piece of history!

Drive On!
  2. killbuck

killbuck New Member

April 1961, Camp Matthews USMC rifle range. First time ever to shoot a high powered rifle. Shot expert with a 232. Expert the rest of my time in too.

killbuck
  3. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi folks, about what above here is a pic taken at that time: all the soldiers have a Garand - among them is me.

Attached Files:

4. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Sometime in the early 1960s, I don't remember exactly when, in the Clifton, VA area. A friend bought one for hunting. We shot it at our range. I didn't think much about it as I was "into" blackpowder "Civil War" weapons at the time. It was 20 years before I bought one for myself. Now, I own three.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

1956 at Air Force ROTC Summer Camp at Craig AFB in Selma, Alabama.

That was my introduction to the south, too. After graduation I have been in the south ever since !!!!! :)
  6. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Hey, It happened in 1966, I've learned alot since then. I don't know whether I should relate this experience or not. I.T.R Camp Lejeune,our platoon was going thru a pop-up target range using M-1's, we were about the 6th platoon being cycled thru the drill. The P.M.I drill instructor told us that the rifles would be very dirty and hot from laying in the sun. He said under NO circumstances should we try to clear a jam by ourselves and further reiterated that he or any of the other instructors should not catch any Marine stomping on the op-rod to clear a jam. I get up to about the third target and pick up the rifle, I take off the saftey and pull the trigger Nothing ,Nada. I attempt to eject the round and could not get the op-rod to pull back, I takes a quick look up and down the line and no instructor and sure enough I tilt the rifle towards the target and applies a heel to the op-rod. All of a sudden I'm on the ground sucking dust with and excruciating pain and pressure between my shoulder blades. I thought I had done shot myself and from the voice I heard next, thought I had died and gone to Hell. I will never,ever attempt to clear a jam again with my foot ever, I will never try and stomp my Marine Corps rifle again. I think I have a size 13 boot track permanently implanted between my shoulder blades to remind me.:eek::eek::confused::eek:;)
  7. Laufer

Laufer New Member

blackcat Attilio: Buona sera.

I don't know whether you were in the Infantry, but what sort of combat training did they have in the Infantry?

Any long marches in the Alps, or the foothills, such as near Aviano AFB etc?
    I've heard from co-workers and others how beautiful it is up there.

My family was in Roma, Firenza and Venezia a few years ago.
  8. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi Laufer! I wasn't right in the Infantry, our final destination was anti-aircraft artillery (80m/m batterys or "Hawks" batterys). I was in the 5th Reg. Anti-Aircraft Artillery Missiles HQ nearby Venice. Nowadays in the same Camp are the Italian Marines (Lagunari).
    Our march training was not so hard, long marches down the sporting field inside the Camp; for the rest we studyed about use of our M1 Garand, about ROE..... I missed the long march on the mountain tracks as the Alpini do.
    Have you served in Aviano AFB ?

I hope your family enjoyed Italy.
    Ciao!
  9. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

I was in Navy boot camp back in the 80's. We had deactivated M-1's that we were not allowed to call rifles or guns. We were told to call them pieces.

My next experience with one was at the local Big-5 store a few years ago. They had them on sale for $600 (back when CMP had them for about $500). I bought one knowing it was likely a mish-mash of parts, but it was a Garand and that is all I cared about.

I took it to the range not really thinking about much other then avoiding the dreaded M-1 thumb. I had lots of time shooting my M-1a, but this one was different. I fumbled a bit with loading the en bloc clip, then very cautiously pushed it into the rifle afraid that the bolt would jump forward and squish my thumb. It didn't. I then pulled back on the charging handle to load the first round. Nothing happened. I turned to my right and as luck would have it, there was another guy shooting his Garand and I asked "how do I load this thing". He told me to just hit the handle; I did and it chambered a round. Eight rounds later I got the ching sound and reloaded again. Lots of fun.

I bought an 8 pound keg of 4895 and loaded all of the brass I had been collecting for the last year. The Garand is the only 30-06 I own, so it all gets 150 grain bullets and feed into this rifle. I just need to get a 1903 now.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A couple of more "M1 stories". During basic training, I encountered a dud round on the rifle range. So, concerned with a hangfire, I recocked the rifle without opening the bolt and tried again. Still no go. The range sergeant saw me cock the rifle and wanted to know whatinhell I thought I was doing. I told him I had a misfire, and he grabbed the rifle and did the boot stomp. I almost wished it had been a hangfire, but it wasn't. It was an old, corroded round that some joker found on the ground and loaded in a clip and I hadn't noticed.

Around the same time, we did the infiltration course, crawling through sand with MG fire overhead. The drill was a dry run (no firing) in the morning, then a live run in the afternoon, and another at night. After the first run, the rifles were full of sand, and we had to clean them. So one guy decided to avoid that in the afternoon and wrapped a rag around the receiver to keep the sand out. When our platoon sergeant saw that, he had a ball about a rifle having "the rag on." He got a good laugh and should have stopped, but he continued that he didn't know there were male and female rifles. Some clown in the rear (not me) said, "Where do you think carbines come from?"

Everyone just about died laughing.

Jim
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

My first introduction was when I bought a nice M1 Garand at the Syracuse, NY gun show in the mid-1990's. I shot it for half-a-dozen years, but finally realized my aging eyes and peep sights just don't go together. I sold the Garand and bought a scoped Ruger #1 in the same .30-06 caliber.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I got an e-mail questioning my firearms knowledge (and my ancestry) and informing me that it is impossible to re-cock the M1 rifle without operating the bolt. So, I will add this little tip.

Those who are concerned, as I was, about a hangfire, or merely want to try again on a misfire, can cock the hammer of an M1 or M14 rifle by unlatching the trigger guard at the rear and swinging the guard down like the lever of a lever-action rifle. Then latch the guard back up and pull the trigger.

That feature was part of the spec for the M1 rifle; the Army was concerned about hangfires, where a "dud" round can go off as it is being ejected from the rifle, wrecking the rifle and blowing brass and burning powder into the shooter's face. With the M1903, retrying a dud was done simply by pulling back on the cocking knob, and the Army wanted the same ability in the M1.

Jim
  13. Happydog

Happydog New Member

I was a 17 year kid in basic training at Fort Jackson SC. When I was issued my M1, I thought it was very heavy. When basic was over it wasn't heavy at all. Went home on leave after basic and nearly put the barrel of a 12ga shotgun through the ceiling when I first picked it up. It had lost weight while I was in basic training.
  14. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

August 1947. Basic training, US Army............Korea, 1951. Over the hills (mountains) and through the valleys. Ruined the day for a lot of Chinese and North Koreans. Nothing could beat it in those days. Today, I'm outclassed with all these sci-fi weeeepons.
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member

West Point NY 1965 All day at the range 100, 300, 500 meters. Seemed like about 500 rounds the 1st day. Man my arm hurt the next day. What a gun!