The Firearms Forum banner

when and where was your !st encounter with the m1 garand

20K views 91 replies 76 participants last post by  SAman 
#1 ·
:cool:June of 62 I went to basis training,schofield brks,hawaii ,25 inf got issued a m1 garand as our primary weapon that we had to treat as something that will prolong our life. ten and a half pounds of firepower. hunting wild pigs with a old win 30-30 I thought it was great,until I got my hands on that m1. first time we went to qualify at the range, 75 yds.150 250 after couple m1 thumbs,could nor believe how accurate this rifle was.

#77 ·
Never had an M1 - hope to have one someday. When I joined the Navy in 1977 our rifle training was with the M14.

#78 ·
Boy, sure a bunch of old guys here :)
My first, and really only encounter with the garand was in HS ROTC 1948-
In Navy boot camp, bainbridge maryland, we toted 1903s -- operational weapons but never fired. Why waste needed ammo (korea) on a bunch of sailors :)
The only rifle i actually "qualified" with was a 5" 38 -- that damn projectile weighed 54 pounds.

#80 ·
My first encounter with a M1 was in college in the mid 70's. I was on the varsity small bore rifle squad, we had a chance for a large bore match with the school's only M1; a IH - NM Garand. It was in really great shape and very accurate, however we had to load one round at a time, our team captain forgot the clips. I did real well in the slow fire part........., great groups.

#84 ·
About a month ago, my son and I went through the CMP marksmanship program. I was amazed at how accurate the gun was-open sights at 200 yards and I shot a 395 out of 500. Nothing to write home about but I was happy happy that I did that well.

The instructor said that about one year ago they ran out of complete Garands and that all guns sold now are built from parts. The instructor did have a nice one for sale at 1k but I didn't know the grading of it.

#88 ·
Fall of 1958-ROTC. Then shot it at Fr Knox summer 1961. Later shot w/ the Army Reserve rifle team.

Remember that we were shooting on a rainy afternoon. One other team member was building a 'awning' from a shelter half or pancho trying to keep a little dry.

One team member told another that what he was doing was against the match rules. The Officer asked "are you going to tell him that is illegal?"
The fellow said "NO, you are-you are my team captain!!"

M1 was great gun. I did get to shoot a few burst w/ BAR. That thing was awesome.. It actually 'walked' away from your shoulder-no kick that I recall.. Shoot 4-5 rounds and pull the gun back to your shoulder.

#89 ·
About 2003 A friend had one at a group shoot. I fired one Enbloc full to get my first ever "clink".
About 3 years ago I bought my first Garand and have had Garanditis ever since. 4 more ordered from the CMP so far and one on the way.

#92 ·
In 1959 at the Elbridge Rod & Gun Club in New York. We were a DCM club and were issued rifles and WW2 corrosive ammo by the DCM. We bought 1903-a3 rifles and .30-06 rifles from the DCM. WW2 corrosive SL43 M2 Ball ammo was $12.00 for a can of 400 rounds in Boxes. Wore out many barrels. The barrels were 6 for $.99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.