when and where was your !st encounter with the m1 garand

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by keokeboy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

Bought one at a gunshow in 1963, age 16, for $65.
    Still got it.
    Trained with M14 a few years later.
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

May 2012 when I picked it up from my father-in-law and took it to the range. I haven't had garand thumb yet.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Last October. I purchased a beautiful springfield from GDMoody here for 500 bucks. Best money ive ever spent on a rifle of any kind. And i have 'stoopid' money invested in some of my Custom LR rifles.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It hurts.. I took it on the pinky the second time it ever happend to me. I was showing my brother how to load a Garand (he was holding the rifle and I was standing to his left) and I reached across and showed him how to seat the enbloc with the 4 fingers on my right hand. it seated, clicked, and the bolt started haulin ass forward. my pinky didnt quite make it. pinched the tip end of it between the bolt and breech. Had a nice blood blister.

First time it ever happend i was defeating the cartridge follower to release the bolt. that time it got my whole thumb. :eek:
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

1952 High school ROTC(three years). Fridays we had to break them down and clean them. Later two more years of college ROTC.
  6. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

In about 1968 we went camping, hunting, and frogging with a guy who had fought in WWII. He had a M1. He was right proud of how he could shoot it too. We were on a small hill overlooking a big field. At about 700 yards out a ground hog popped up out of a hole. He said he could shoot it without any problem. He set up and waited for it to pop up again and fired. It went back down the hole. My brother gave him a hard time about that. I was only about 12 at the time I guess but my brother was 15 and already a good shooter. The guy swore he had hit it but my brother kept saying it ran back down the hole. Then we saw it pop up again. My brother really gave him the business after that. My brother said to let him have a try at it. He fired and it appeared to run back down the hole. The guy laughed and said he missed a mile. My brother swore he hit it. So after a few minutes of back and forth they decided the only way to know was to check. My brother walked out in the field (which was plowed so it took him half an hour to get there) and picked up two dead ground hogs out of that hole. Both guys had hit their target and the ground hogs had just rolled over backwards down in the hole.

I knew then how great an M1 could shoot. That was the first time my brother had ever shot one. But he's always had a knack for pulling off impossible stuff like that. It didn't surprise me the WWII guy doing it because it was common for guys in the war to make shots like that at enemy soldiers but my brother doing it was a big surprise.
  7. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

First was USN boot camp, 1961, next was US Navy fleet sonar school, Key West Florida. Beach watch waiting for Cubans also.
    Just got my first one this month, a 1943 (year I was born) and it is a beauty.
    I also was on the drill team in Key West and twirled the big M1 like a baton!
    My M1 is one of the most accurate rifles I own or have shot.
    wayne
  8. kermit

kermit New Member

boot camp-great lakes sept 1961. again post 21 cuban blockade uss john r. pierce dd 753 early 63/late 62
  9. whirley

whirley New Member

February 1949, Ft. Jackson S.C. Made expert, lots of fun shooting the UKD range. After that I was issued an M2 carbine. On July 5, 1950 I found carbines were ineffective beyond about 200 yards, and then they were questionable, so picked up an M-1. Very effective. I later acquired a 1903A3 Springfield with Lyman sights. Used that for a while also when I had time. Never fired an M-14. Just a souped up M1 in my opinion. However a wet M-1 sometimes failed to function properly. The Springfield was always there! Wind drift with a 10-12 MPH wind from 9 or 3 o'clock was about 3 feet at 500 to 600 yards. Any hit on the target was acceptable.
  10. langenc

langenc Member

My first contact was in ROTC, late 50s at the University.

Later shot at summercamp and then with the Army Reserve rifle team. Also used for drill. Very accurate for shooting. Mild recoil. BAR was best for recoil-it actually 'walked' away from you and had to be pulled back to the shoulder after 3-4 rounds. BAR weighed 19 1/2 pounds.

I didnt buy one back in the 70s as I thought $150 was way too much money for one-the Garand.
  11. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

In high-school, jrotc in 1952 .... did the normal ( for the time ) blindfolded strip & assemble .
    We had a rifle range ( 75 yards ) in the basement of the school .... the armory was on
    the third floor. We would carry rifles and ammo. through the halls during normal class
    changes and no one paniced ( nor did any one get shot ).
    The drill platoon took the Detroit city championship in 1953 using the M1 .
    I haven't touched one since then .... in service I carried the 1911-A1 and an M-3 .
  12. Clipper

Clipper Member

USN Reserve boot camp (2 weeks) at San Diego in the summer of '54. Spent hours and hours dry firing, finally out to a Marine rifle range (Pendleton?) for our day on the range and in the butts. Still lusting for one....someday!
  13. B27

B27 New Member

I stubbed my toe on one leanimg agaist the wall this morning. :)

[​IMG]
  14. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

My Dad had one when I was a Kid, he used to shoot it on the far. so naturally I had to have one or two or three

Attached Files:

15. m77user

m77user Member

Boot camp, Ft. Ord, CA. 1963.
  16. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

i first heard the garands at my uncles funeral. his WWII honor guard had beautiful rifles, they had crosses of ivory inlaid in the stocks, some had medals embeded , but the casings rattleing on the pavement and the respect all gave the soldiers sold me. a very solom occasion. been 4 years and i still miss my uncle. he was at the bulge, had a whole box full of medals. got blowed up by a 88 but lived to get back to the states. yep i got 2 M-1's one march 1942 model # 6518xx. the other came from the CMP . correct sa model. i shoot my garands monthly at a vintage military shoot at kentucky. lots of history. somethin bout the ping!!
  17. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Never had an M1 - hope to have one someday. When I joined the Navy in 1977 our rifle training was with the M14.
  18. gunboat

gunboat Member

Boy, sure a bunch of old guys here :)
    My first, and really only encounter with the garand was in HS ROTC 1948-
    In Navy boot camp, bainbridge maryland, we toted 1903s -- operational weapons but never fired. Why waste needed ammo (korea) on a bunch of sailors :)
    The only rifle i actually "qualified" with was a 5" 38 -- that damn projectile weighed 54 pounds.
  19. fasted23

fasted23 New Member

2001 JROTC drill rifle in high school barrels where welded ( what a crime) so it might not count lol
  20. Packrat76

Packrat76 New Member

My first encounter with a M1 was in college in the mid 70's. I was on the varsity small bore rifle squad, we had a chance for a large bore match with the school's only M1; a IH - NM Garand. It was in really great shape and very accurate, however we had to load one round at a time, our team captain forgot the clips. I did real well in the slow fire part........., great groups.