When do we stop making new laws?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluesea112, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I was just thinking about a hunting club I used to be a member of. We had a list of club rules that we put together when we first organized. Over the period of 3 or 4 years we added a few rules as necessary. After that we kept the same rules for 10 years without adding any more.

Why exactly do we need to pay congressmen and senators a huge salary to continue making laws now that our country has been around for a couple of hundred years? We have plenty of laws in place, and it seems to me that the only reason the guys in Washington introduce new laws is to justify their jobs. When, exactly, do we stop making new laws? It is rediculous to think that we should continue adding new laws forever. Personally, I think we have already passed the point that new laws are necessary. We have so many laws on the books now that each of us innocently breaks some kind of law without meaning to as we go about our daily lives. It is getting to the point that it is just stupid to continue paying people to create new laws that we don't need.

At what point do we tell law makers that their job is done, we have all the laws we need, and it's time for them to close up shop and go home?

I am one of their bosses, just like the rest of you are. That being the case it is time to step back and ask ourselves if our employees are benefiting the company, or just creating busy work for themselves to keep their job.
    I think they are creating busy work to keep their jobs, which is costing the company money and creating unnecessary burdens in all of our lives. It's time for a lay off. We don't need their service any longer.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Maybe we could make it so that in years ending with even numbers, they can only repeal laws. And they have to repeal at least as many as they passed in the previous year.

There is plenty of law work for Congress; they're just doing the wrong part.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i like the latest law

they want to make flat sheets in motels illegal so illegal workers dont have to work so hard to fit non fitted sheets

who ever came up with that one ..

i have no words ..

just this

PFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
  4. red14

red14 New Member

I think there are too many laws now too! Repealing laws sounds good to me. We can't (or won't) enforce all the laws now anyway.
  5. StewNTexas

StewNTexas New Member

We have way too many laws that outdated. We should start weeding some of these antiques out.

I feel that any law passed must written and phrased in clear enough language that a law degree is not needed to understand it.

I am in favor that for each and every law passed, TWO laws should be removed from the books.

Just saying......
  6. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

problem is, as far as i can figure out, in order to repeal a law they have to pass a law to nullify that law that was repealed, so you end up with even more law:confused:
  7. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

Because we keep producing too many lawyers.
  8. cutter

cutter New Member

We need to get rid of a lot of old laws and ENFORCE the laws for serious crimes including white collar crime!! Go back to what the founders meant!
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have said for many years (and to many politicians) that one of the biggest mistakes we make is to allow our hired hands to call themselves "lawmakers."

I haven't decided which makes them angrier. Calling them "hired hands" or telling them they are NOT "lawmakers."

Pops
  10. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

You are missing the big picture. Obama and crew are passing "regulations" out the giggie that will never be reversed. These regulations are going to strangle this country. They will guarantee that capitalism never shows it's head again. Anyone attempting to do anything will be stangled, unless they can gease the palm of some government employee. Don't worry about the laws they are passing.
  11. HunterAlpha1

and what do you do to a hired hand who doesn't do what you want him to do? fire him, of course. sadly, the hired hands continue to fool the masses who continue to elect them and continue to screw us all over.
  12. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

New laws are usually conceived by person or persons with an agenda. Many times new laws are enacted to help or benefit one person or situation at the expense of many people or situations. Our modern philosophy of political correctness seems to have spawned multitudes of new laws who's benefit are questionable. Also many new laws are passed without visible or practical methods of enforcement or funding. New laws should have to pass a test of common sense before being voted on.
  13. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Why do the idiots get to rule over us? Cuz we let em. We vote for em, don't flush em when they start to stink up the place and so we get to pay the price. IE: Ted "the douchebag" Kennedy. RIH. Look how long he stayed in power. Pick your loser.... He really is #1 on my list, personally. One of those unflushable turds...
  14. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Holy Cow, Red, That is one cute youngster! The early and now pic are very cool!
  15. HunterAlpha1

"Politicians and diapers should be changed often, and for the same reason"
  16. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

We have two major problems with our government system.....

1) Most politicians are in fact failed lawyers, who rallied enough support to get into office to make more money than a successful lawyer can make by working.

2) The only 'metric' a politician has to show Joe Public that he's actually DOING something is to make laws - thus they call themselves 'law makers'. It doesn't matter that we already have thirtyseven similar laws, it doesn't matter just what the new law does (or doesn't do), all that matters is that he is SEEN doing something......

My method would be to immediately FIRE ALL politicians in Federal Government, with their personal staffs. FedGov would meet for one week each quarter, to address necessary business, treaties, trade agreements, etc. Members would be drawn from each state the same way as for Jury Duty. They are paid per diem for the week of Session, then they go home to their jobs - no other bennies, no SS guards for life, no retirement for life. Just do your national duty and go home....
    Other day-to-day duties could be handled by a small staff of mid-level civil servants on the same SSI and retirement systems as the rest of us.
  17. red14

red14 New Member

Thank you, but they are two different grandchildren. Ryan, now ten on the left, Rhett, now 15 months below.

These guys are gonna suffer from our 'lawmakers'.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  18. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Oddly enough it would seem the only laws that govern the lawmakers are the ones that protect them from the laws.
    Like stealing from the people...e.g., I never get to vote on giving away countless billions to other nations like China so we can borrow it back and pay intrest on it. What kind of idiot would do that? Only the US government that's who. The American public isn't that stupid. So therefore we can't be allowed to vote on it, it has to be taken and done without our consent. How can that be legal? Oh I'm just gonna be sick!
  19. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The law inslaves!
    “The law will never make men free, it is men that have to make the law free.”
    Henry David Thoreau, Philosopher, Scholar
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I never saw a need for mans laws anyway. All the laws mankind needs to live a free, fulfilling and safe life are written in a book that is all but forgotten now days.

I say to congress... YOURE ALL F****N FIRED!