When is a Revolver Trigger pull too light?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mesinge2, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I have a 44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk and the DA trigger was always very light, but lately it seems lighter and lighter every time I shoot it. And the SA trigger is terrifying, I am afraid to shoot SA.

View attachment 34276

When is the trigger pull too light?

Also, besides the pull being too light could the ever lightening trigger cause the weapon not to fire eventually?

What I mean is what are the negatives of such a light trigger?

Can it lead to the gun not working?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Is their negatives to it?
    In SA It could lead to you killing yourself or others. If you don't feel comfortable shooting it by all means stop. You said it scares you to shoot it, then please don't.
    How light is to light? In SA it could go off accidentally b/c you breathed wrong, put it down a little to hard or looked at it the wrong way. DA it could fire when your not expecting it too during your trigger pull.
    It can lead to the gun not working in SA b/c it sounds to me that it may eventually not engage the sear. If your springs are getting weak, they won't have enough force to fire the gun, maintain the sear, return the trigger, the list goes on.
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

It only scares me in SA, The DA pull while light is perfect.

I can very reliably stop the cylinder right before the round fires using the DA pull, but the SA pull is so light that I can barely touch the trigger and it fires. Because of this I only fire it DA.

Which I don't mind, I was more concerned that it may eventually not fire at all.

--
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    all of my smiths have single action trigger pulls right at two and one half pounds(i made them that way)they do tend to go off early when others shoot them,even when i warn them.i suggest if it seems to get easier and you are not comfortable to have a good gunsmith check them out.if they were owned by someone before they may not have known what they were doing.i dont think you want any surprises one day if it has to be used and will not fire. old semperfi
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Did you buy the Redhawk new? You can change the spring(s) and make the pull stiffer.
  6. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I bought it new, but it has the lightest pull of any of my 8 revolvers.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Run it by your local pistol smith and let him/her take a look at it. It doesn't cost too much. My smith did a cylinder bore for me for only $10. One of these days you will thumb back the hammer, and the gun will fire when you turn it loose. One negitive to a really light trigger pull is that you, or some else, might have a AD in the near future.