When "IT" happens (what ever IT may be)

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it aint the whole story, but a good part of it ...
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree, a lot more to the story. What impressed me the most is that, although uninteded, it follows the Bible's prediction for our future!
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as these things always do..
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

truth is truth
  5. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

Most water and waste water plants are automated enough that the workers really aren't needed cept to run tests and maintenance. I know if the electric stays on ours will keep on workin till the pumps die from lack of care. Water won't be quite as good as before with no one there to clean the sand filters and add carbon or change the chlorine(ozone plants could make deseise free by makin ozone on site.) but it would have done most of the work where you would only have to boil it fer just a few minutes. If EMP then most people will be up the crick. I would start walkin fer my dads place I know I could survive there and also have enough people to help with chores and defense.Take a week or two to get there and would spend some time hungry durin winter but "A country boy can survive". My sister in law says if IT happens shes movin in. Might not be the tastiest thing to eat but she'll eat most of the time.
  6. soundguy

ironically.. preparation, of almost any kind is the key. people who have actually sat down and taked a few minutes to think about it, even if they don't have a go/bob bag loaded, are miles ahead of those that have never put thought to it, and when 'it' happens, they panic. those that have thought about it, can at least organize and start counting down items and procedures they have thought about VS going into panic mode. staying calm and staying alive will be big items...
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree that people who have actually sat down and taken a few minutes to think about it, even if they don't have a go/bob bag loaded, are miles ahead of those that have never put thought to it. The problem is that if you wait untill "it" happens, it's already too late. Those items for survival that you thought you might need, will no longer be available. When "it" happens, there will be a run on the stores, all stores! Within a few hours there won't be anything of value to anyone left on the shelves! You now have to take them from someone else who has prepared!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. soundguy

what i menat was even if you don't have your items packed in a BOB or go bag.

the average household like has 3 days of food and wter ALREADY in it.

if nothing else a jug of tap water or some sodas and cans of tuna , candy pars, cans of soup.. etc.

anything you can pry open with a knife and gulp down will count in those first 3 critical days / 72 hours.

don't matter if it's a huge 5# bag of m&m's and a case of soda. it's fluid and calories and will keep you moving 3 days till you can figure out what 'it' is and where 'it ' is coming from and going. pretty much all the BOB does is get you ready to move or stay and give you a few days to think / plan on important stuff, and not immediatly worry where tomorrows breakfast is coming from.

thee average guy that has a good rough idea of a plan in his head but no BOB is still kinda ok. hit the house.. AVOID the streets and stores if they are mobbed.

raid pantry for pre cookec non perishible items and drinks.. or tap water if needed.. . no bag? a pillowcase works.. no pillow case? a tshirt works. knot off the arms and neck.

tube socks make great storage. stuff items in them, then tie off to your belt. you can untie at camp.. or if need access now and then, cut a slit in the top of the sock below the tie to the belt, and you can reach into the sock and retrieve items.

a long mans tube sockk holds quite a few apples... easy to carry too.

no camping knife? if nothing else.. the butcher knife fromt he kitchen works. almost all households have some sort of stiff bladed carving knife that will opent he thin food cans of today, and if pressed into it.. is a basic hand weapon ... ( tire iron from your gridlocked or stuck or broke down vehicle makes a good prybar to pry open containers, doors, pry planks of wood off pallates.. or windows.. or flipped around to use as a weapon.. )

a guy bugging out with a pillowcase full of soda and a loaf of bread and a butcher knife and tire iron is better that running around in the street screaming or wandering having to fight for food the next morning.
  9. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I see everyone agrees on a "to go" bag of some sort... food, liquids, First Aide, cloths, and that sort... has anyone thought of dice? Sounds silly, but even in chaos, you need a bit of sanity.. (I watch too much Les Shroud "Survivor Man" and Baer Grilles.).. but a form of "entertainment" will be necessary to keep you calm and your mind sharp. I figure everyone has room for 5 dice.. yahtzee any one?

Any way.. back to the BOB/Go bags.. Ive been getting to the point that Im keeping my Hunting bag (that has a-lot of what the BOB/Go bags have) (less my firearms) in my truck at all times. I work 20 miles from my home... and in the event that "IT" happens and I'm at work.. I want a running chance to grab my hunting sack and make my 4 hour walk (assuming EMP) or 30 minuet drive back home. I wont have to worry about the "City-ots" rampaging, I live in the sticks of MI. I just need to make my journey home.
  10. soundguy

yep.. good point.

I read a book about survival.. will gwt th name of it an post it when I remember.. it was something like 1000 survival tips or to that effect.

they very much reccomended an attenuated go bag for your vehicle and work... something small you could tuck under your desk, etc.

just like you mention.. in case you are at work when the 'it' hits the fan..e tc.

good points! deck of cards may not even be bad..
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Deck of cards is a survival tool. Get lost, lay out a hand of solitaire and someone will come along and tell you to play the red queen on the black king.
  12. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

that will work as long as that person has a good sense of direction.
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

My thoughts too.

What a leader Jack is......knows the truth will set us free.

And Alpo my favorite smartypants!! :eek::D :D You are correct sir. I have a pack in my go bag too.

I keep my go bag in my truck and it has everything but my cliff bars. I've listed its contents before. My wife has a 72 hour kit in hers and we have a bigger one at home. Still need to get those cliff bars.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Just think what you will need vs. want and start to make a list, then start to put it together out of things already on hand.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You could also put in a bottle of gin and one of vermouth. Someone will come along and tell you that you are mixing the martini wrong.

Deck of cards takes up less room, and don't normally break.

:p
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Something has been bugging me.Ive been reading alot of apocalyptic books lately and a few have been about the EMP.They say if your electronics are in a faraday cage your good to go.Wouldnt your car be a faraday cage.you have medal on all sides and rubber tires.Im just wondering what you think.