When "IT" happens (what ever IT may be)

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

As best I recollect from high school general science class (circa late '50s), the Faraday Cage has to be contructed of a highly conductive material - copper or brass I would imagine - in order to work.
  2. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

The electronics for a Dodge Durango (I have one) are for the most part under the hood... The engine compartment only has metal on 5 sides... the bottom is open... I think nmckenzie (Im thinking of the silly budweiser dog now... thanks a lot) is right.. the faraday cage is usually constructed of brass, and covers all sides, And I believe it is also grounded to discharge the induced current. I have a co worker who had a Mil sur-plus GMC truck that is "Hardened".. Ill have a look under his hood to see what it is the military does to shield the electrons, and get back to you.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't have a BOB. I live out in the sticks, and I ain't going nowhere! But, like you, I do have a get home bag. It's a med sized back pack, with things I think I might need to make a 25 mile walk back to the house. Fire starting equipment, water treatment tablets, water bottle (empty), rope, extra ammo, first aid kit, chemical lights, and some other things I might need.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im like you carver, I am stayin put. I will fight to the death and then I will go on to where the streets are paved with pure gold and there are many mansions and the heck with this place anyhow. I have a better promise waiting. Im not running anywhere.
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I'm staying put. don't plan on going anywear.
    But do have a plan incase murfys law rears it's ugly head.
  6. nmckenzie

Wow, did that bring back some funny memories! That dog's real name, by the way, was HONEY TREE EVIL-EYE. :)
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Just for you!

Attached Files:

• 200.jpg
      200.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  8. nmckenzie

Many thanks! That attatchment's going to be enlarged, printed, framed, and propped up here on my desk. Oh yeah, contrary to rumor, that photo is NOT one taken of me during an early '60s kegger. Thanks again.
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

remember.. a BOB is also basically a BIB too.
  10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Im adding more shelving this weekend to my panic room as my supplies gain ground on me lol. I will S.I.P now im set up for it and defend my home. im retired and seldom go far but a bob for my truck is in need of a rebuild. energy bars /trail mix and a new first aid kit should set me up. I keep about 2 gals of water in it and rotate that 1 time a week to be safe.
  11. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I'm like both of you. I made a thread here once, something about fleeing the country for another if SHTF but the more i've thought about it, and the more my beliefs have came through i'm not going anywhere! I was born a free man, i'll die a free man.
  12. soundguy

if at all possible I'm staying home.. if that becomes impossible.. I have 3 locations chosen that my 'group' will try for.. primary best of course.. etc...
  13. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

i would advise those of you who plan to bug in to keep a BOB anyway, and keep it somewhere outside of your house. when the SHTF, and there are no fire departments to douse your house when a candle gets knocked over or your make-shift fireplace gets out of control you may find yourself bugging out whether you planned to or not.
  14. soundguy

yep.. BOB / BIB are basically the same thing.
  15. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

I have one extra location, and I will probably wind up there in the end anyway. Don't really have a bag yet just a bunch of stuff. My main concern will be gettin the 5 miles to the house to protect wife and kids. Not far to walk but figure an hour afore I walk in the door.