When "IT" happens (what ever IT may be)

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    For those of us that plan to stay put, something to think about. Can you stand in the middle of your home, and see all of your property? If I'm looking out my front window, who is coming up from behind the house?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I plan to stay put.. Bottom line. id rather die where I belong than where i dont.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

For those planning to "bug out", here's something for you to think about.

You live in Big City USA, so you can do your job, but you know that is a lousy place to survive. So you have a "bug out location". Nice little farm, maybe. Got three springs on the property. Artesian well. Forty acres of cleared bottomland. Ten acres in orchard. Nice, tight little house. Solar panels on the roof. Barn. Solar panels out there, too. Great place to live. Gonna retire there, once you've made your money. But for now you still live in Big City. Every couple of months you make a trip to the farm, to make sure everything is all right.

Then IT happens. Okay. You've been expecting this. You're ready. Pack up the wife and the kids and the dog and bug out to your BUG OUT LOCATION.

And when you get there you find that someone else has moved in.

Nowadays, what with LAW and POLICE, you don't have to worry all that much about squatters moving into your "vacation home". And if there are some, you call the cops and have their ass arrested.

But after IT happens, there ain't no LAW. Ain't no POLICE. And the people living in your Bug Out Location not only have everything that you left there (and they certainly don't plan on giving it up) but they now have everything you brought with you.

The only way to be sure that your Bug Out Location will still be safe and waiting for you, when IT happens and you run, is to not wait for IT to happen, but to go there now.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Excellent point.. And ill further add that IF you do arrive at you bug out location and find anything else 2 legged there that isnt family or friend.. shoot 1st and ask questions later. Because i guarantee you if they are taking over your location they will be ready to do the same..
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Agreed, but do you have a plan that will give you some security? How do you watch all four sides of your property at the same time?
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

unless you're crammed in urbanopolis, I'd vote to stay where you're at, barring some natural disaster that forces you from your home. fire, flood, volcano, etc...

course everyone lives in a different type of place, I'm rural with a little bit of land and people know that everyone is armed out here. I agree that if you have a bug out location that is a good spot, someone else will find it as a good spot too. Hate to be second to that party.

plus, if you're mobile, you are severely limited to what you can carry unless you're driving a semi rig! Tons more supplies and storage/security at home for lots of us than being on the go.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

To those who plan on running, I hope your wife and children are as capable as you are. Also, I hope you realize that wherever you go, there will be someone else there trying to do the same thing you are. You will have to fight for something no matter where you go. If you have land now, you might as well stay put and fight to the finish. I am not afraid to die. I dont want to die, but I am not afraid to die. I know what is waiting on the other side. I have no fear, so I wont run.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Leave the barking to the dog and the shooting to me..

The rest is in Gods hands Myles. ;)
  9. carver

carver Moderator

I hear ya Josh!:D I know that I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the woods around my place. That way I can see just about anything going on, and I will have some cover. Rifle pits.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

this is exactly my worry and why I won't go anywhere if the SHTF. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. While I could get pretty far with my kit and rifle on my own, having a family in tow to protect changes everything.
  11. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

+1
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And if worse comes to worse myles we aint that far apart. we could combine forces. Id be proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with you in a foxhole.
  13. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Now.. If I just had some one in MI that had my back like you have his!
  14. carver

carver Moderator

It would be my pleasure Josh, and an honor! If ya think you need to come on over!
  15. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

that's a really important point i've been meaning to make on here, and have been trying to make to some people from church who are homesteaders and preppers:

start constructing defenses NOW! when the crap hits the fan the factories won't be making serpentine/razor/barbed wire anymore, so stock up while you can. a single perimeter fence around your compound isn't enough; you need to dig foxholes/rifle pits so you can shoot from cover, because you DO NOT want to fight from inside your house.

now some of you may be skeptical, but consider this: in the days of feudal europe, if a lord or king had to fight from inside his castle, the war was already lost.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012