When "IT" happens (what ever IT may be)

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

heck.. even a few well placed mounds of dirt would be good.

and sandbags.. even unfilled.. just having them ready to fill.

remember.. in an EOC situation.. be creative too. old field with a broken down barbwire fence is a fireing line just waiting to be scavanged. a few tposts and some stragly old barbwore, even laying on the ground is effective.

they either have to move slower across it and not get tangled.. or they have to go around it.

when they move slow over it.. you have them in a fireing line.

when they go around it.. you arrange the 'around it' into a fireing LANE... that way over or around.. you got them. IE.. give them 2 bad choices to make if they want to come see you...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Sand bags are plentiful, and low cost to most, even free for some, and they will work as well. A few felled trees in the right spots make great balustrades. Anything a bullet can't go thru. Cover, and concealment!
  3. soundguy

yep.. and if you can't have cover and concealment.. you at least need one of them.. they ideally need to not be able to see you, or shoot thru the stop.. but at least 1 is needed....
  4. markfh

markfh New Member

Living in the burbs as we do we have a different plan. Some of my neighbors and I plan on hunkering down in black out mode hopefully letting the hoard pass us by on their way out to the countryside. Any defense of the area will be with suppressed small caliber weapons, unless heavier weapons are needed, hoping not to draw attention to ourselves any more than necessary.

I thought about a home in the country but figured it would be undefendable without a significant number of defenders which I don't have.

In any case it's probably going to be a cluster-f.
  5. soundguy

ditto onthe CF

good idea on the black out. plenty of things you can do to make your place already look picked over.
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Imporvised natural weapons - e.g. a poison Ivy smoke grenade or poison ivy and briar hedge/barrier, pits ready to put punji stakes in.

Sand bags and some "extra" construction sand is an outstanding idea.

One reason I moved to the suburbs of green acres -according to my wife. Food storage comes naturally to me. And wife is learning to can (something I have been getting into for the last 5 years.) Lots of local produce and wild critters.

Not electiric appliances (like a manual powered meat grinder)

I should acquire a short wave transmitter/receiver when the web goes down or is used to track you down.
  7. soundguy

might be time to get a ham license..
  8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

We have at least a year's worth - probably closer to two - of canned venison, halibut, salmon, tuna, shrimp, crab, veggies, pickles (our own brand), onions, you name it. Couple of times a year, especially right after deer season, the lady of the house and I drag out the canning cookers, fire up the stove - gas, but we do have a monster wood-fired stone fireplace that's also been used for this purpose, and add to our reserves. The fireplace is also capable of maintaining a constant 65-68 degree inside temperature if oil and propane supplies dry up. We have several gardens and grow pretty much all of the veggies we end up canning. The deer and bear do compete for some of the stuff in our gardens, but that's okay, there's plenty to go 'round, and some of the deer are probably going to end up being canned anyway. There isn't an appliance in the house that doesn't have a manually operated backup counterpart should the power grid go down. Canned preserves don't require refrigeration, and for the few items we have that do - largely stuff that we don't really need, there's the simple expedient of sealing them in tethered and weighted waterproof containers and dropping 'em into the lake - sort of like the old picnic beer cooler bit. Then there's medical supplies, backup stocks of prescription medicine. batteries, and just about everything else from tarps to toothpicks. There's also the fact that we live on an island. Only way in or out is air or sea - period, so if the large urban areas end up going to hell in a handbasket I don't think we'll be seeing it spread to our patch. All things considered, and we've tried to consider all the possibilities, I'd say we're set for whatever comes. Hopefully it never will.
  9. markfh

markfh New Member

Why bother getting one. Just get the gear. If SHTF happens who's gonna ask for your license? Just saying. :D
  10. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Back to EMP... some one talked about shielding / hardening of wires... I checked out one of my co workers mil-surplus trucks.. granted its diesel... all wiring is shielded with brass mesh then stainless braiding... grounded at the ends, and near terminals they have metal plates covering them. I told you Id look...
  11. soundguy

studying to get the license teaches you essentially how the system works.

what bands are voice.. what bands are code.. etc.

also teaches you the lingo so you can understand others.

the abbreviated codes are there and used for a reason.. knowingthem would be helpfull.

knowing if you were on a mc only band would help.

the call sign itself tells you much as well. 1st letter gives you an idea of the location or world region you have been worked from ( A K N W .. etc.. )

call sign layout lets you know somethng about the person you communicte with.. their skil llevel and band privelege..e tc.

it's fine having the gear and play cb cowboy and saying breaker breaker when there is no FCC.. but actually usingthe gear and getting the most out of it comes from a lil bit of reading and learning... if you are going that far.. might as well pay the couple bucks and get your ticket.. it's good for 10ys before you renew.. cheap to renew and you don't have to test again..e tc...
  12. markfh

markfh New Member

Sounds reasonable enough.

-- .. --. .... - / .. / .- .-.. ... --- / ... ..- --. --. . ... - / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . .-.-.- ;)
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Used to mettle in the HAM radio years ago, haven't done much with it lately though.

The CB has no requirements for licensing whatsoever though,

You do not need an individual license to operate a CB station. You are authorized by this rule to operate your CB station in accordance with the rules stated in this Subpart. <*also read Rule 17>

{A} You need NOT identify your CB communications...
    {B} You are ENCOURAGED to identify your CB communications by any of the following means:
    [1] Previously assigned FCC CB call sign
    [2] K prefix followed by operators initials and residence zip code
    [3] Your name;
    or
    [4] Description of your organization including name and any applicable operator unit number
    {C} You are encouraged to use a "handle" (nickname) ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH the methods of identification listed above in paragraph B of this section.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citizens-band-cb-service

A HAM license would be good for general information and has more capability depending on what frequency you use but the HAM doesn't cover the CB frequency range correct?

CB is just very common and useful for most folks; a lot of 4wheel drive folks use them on the trail as cell reception is not an option most places ya wheel.

I used the 2 meter band (148MHz) but that's it. I was able to talk with a guy in FL from my home state of PA, that was the longest shot I've made with it. With an old Icom handheld no less (using a local repeater station though).
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The stuff that sticks in your memory. I can't remember what I had for supper last night, by my CB license is KBLP7350, and I haven't used that since 1980.
  15. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Good sound comformitive clear understandable communications is a basic need for cooridinated military defense AND logistics.:)